Running/general exercise and heart rate

Options
So I recently bought a heart rate monitor, and took it out for a few runs, to see where I was training usually. I have to admit, I was a tad surprised at the results.

My average heart-rate at an moderate jog, say 11.5-12 minutes/mile (4.5-5mph), is around 180. Consistently. It didn't fluctuate by much the entire time I was running, and that's not a tough run, just a moderate jog for me.

But when I've checked out max heart rate according to my age, I've used the 220 - (age) route, which gives me 195. The I figured out the average running heart rate by subtracting my resting heart rate (around 70) from my max heart rate of 195, which gives me 125. That should by an easy run heart rate for me, yet I didn't hit anywhere near that the entire time I was out.

I then used the Karvonen Method to figure out my average running rate for aerobic training, which is 70-80% of the max heart rate (so it would be [195 x .70 and 195 x .8], which gives me a range of 137 to 156bpm. That would mean I was running well outside my aerobic threshold for the entire run, but it wasn't a tough run at all, and I didn't feel taxed or exerted past ordinary levels when I finished at four miles.

So I'm rather confused, because I've also noticed that my heart rate elevates pretty easily in general, because it can get up to 140 consistently when I'm just strength training, and not really exerting myself. Are there any other people that just see consistently high heart rates when running and doing other exercises?

Replies

• cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I AM THE SAME WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't get people who post an average Hr of 145-155 while running!

My resting HR is 50 and according to my HRM my max is 195 BMP?

On a VERY easy run...11 min miles I average 160 BMP

On a good clip 9:15-9:45's I am constantly 180-192 BPM

anything faster and my HRM beeps as me and says 195-200 bmp (Over 100% of my max HR) I have ran a couple miles in this zone though.

For the record I am 5'10" and 175 lbs.

Crazy!!!!

exercise.png
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'm glad SOMEONE else has the same issue. Sort of glad, anyway, haha.

When I first looked at the HRM, I was like "Shouldn't I be seeing this rate if I were really taxing myself??" Like at the end of my run, when I picked up the pace for the last mile, I was seeing 192-195, and that wasn't a sprint, that was just a more taxing pace (around 10:00), that I maintained pretty easily for that mile. I was kinda worried that I'd randomly die or something, haha.

I can't even imagine what my heart rate is when I'm training speedwork, because I haven't had a chance to do that yet. I guess maybe it's just a genetics thing, then. ;)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    According to the 220 - age method my max heart rate should be 174. Just a little while ago my RHR was 52 but when I'm running my AHR is anywhere from 145 to 155 depending on that day's run and has hit 190 on hills. The only valid method for calculating your MHR is to have a stress test, rules of thumb are just just guidelines - we're all different.

My tri coach is a big fan of running (& biking) on perceived effort, if you're able to carry on a conversation while running you're definitely still in zone 3 (Zone 1 being recovery 50 to 60%, Zone 2 60 to 70%, Zone 3 70 to 80%, Zone 4 80-90% and Zone 5 is all out anaerobic / lactate threshold)
  • LilRedRooster
    Options
    My tri coach is a big fan of running (& biking) on perceived effort, if you're able to carry on a conversation while running you're definitely still in zone 3 (Zone 1 being recovery 50 to 60%, Zone 2 60 to 70%, Zone 3 70 to 80%, Zone 4 80-90% and Zone 5 is all out anaerobic / lactate threshold)

Yeah, the perceived effort has been what I've usually used, and if I were running with someone on an easy/moderate run, I could carry on a conversation pretty decently. I actually sing while doing my easy runs, haha. I guess I was just surprised by my HRM results, because I had no idea that my heart rate was that high for the effort.
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    My HR stays at about 170 when running a 5k, never really moves from there.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    220-age can be off by as much as 30bpm for some people. My HRmax is supposed to be 190, but I know from testing (running a 9 minute mile up a heavy incline on a treadmill) that it's at least 201. If you're going to use your HRM for training zones, you need to know your actual HRmax, not an equation that was the "line of best fit" for the general population.
  • leadoff
    leadoff Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Same for me. Resting HR for me is low 50s. My max rate (using the good ol' 220-age method) should be 183. However, I consistently hit 180-185 when doing hills and intervals. My average HR during a regular long run at a 9:20 to 9:40 pace is 165, which is right at 90% of my max.

I did a half-marathon back in January, and I averaged 172. I hit a 189 max during the last stretch of the final mile.
  • clickmaster
    Options
    My average heart-rate at an moderate jog, say 11.5-12mph, is around 180. Consistently. It didn't fluctuate by much the entire time I was running, and that's not a tough run, just a moderate jog for me.
    If 5 minute miles are an "moderate jog" for you, you must be a world class runner. I think it's more likely there's something wrong with your math.

Good luck and good health!!

• LilRedRooster
    Options
    My average heart-rate at an moderate jog, say 11.5-12mph, is around 180. Consistently. It didn't fluctuate by much the entire time I was running, and that's not a tough run, just a moderate jog for me.
    If 5 minute miles are an "moderate jog" for you, you must be a world class runner. I think it's more likely there's something wrong with your math.

Good luck and good health!!

Oh, haha. Sorry, I meant 11.5/12 minutes per mile, not miles per hour, Ahahahahaha, that's funny. Whoops. I'll go fix that. :blushing: