Training for my first 5K! Advice from Runners?

Options
Hey everyone! I have never run before in my life, but I decided that I really wanted a goal to work towards in all of this. Soooo, I'm going to start training for my very first 5K! It's on September 1st, so I have about 6 months to train. I am really excited for this and look forward to becoming a runner. I went and got fitted for my first pair of running shoes today at Fleet Feet (an awesome place, by the way) and got a pair of Brooks as well as some inserts. I plan on starting by running for 30-60 seconds, then walking about four minutes, and doing this for about half an hour each day, and upping the running time whenever I'm able. Bare in mind, I also have over 100 pounds to lose still, but I'm working on it... every single day in the gym.

Any advice, tips, tricks, etc. about running, 5Ks, or the running lifestyle in general for a brand new runner? Any must have socks? Any great running music? I'd love to hear from you about ANYTHING running related! :)

Thanks!!

Replies

• PClivingood
    PClivingood Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you!

Lots of folks try the Couch to 5k method to get up to 5k distance in about 9 weeks. The plan is at: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I recently finished and posted my advice here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/517586-i-just-finished-c25k-and-i-want-to-pay-forward-advice-for-those-thinking-of-doing-the-same
  • leadoff
    leadoff Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    First of all....congrats and good luck with your training!

Sounds like you have a great plan in place by focusing on time instead of distance. I would suggest a good HRM to wear while training. Weekly goals are always a great plan to follow. Push yourself to follow through on those goals, but always listen to what your body is telling you in terms of what aches and pains are soreness and which are potential injuries. Also, if you feel like you have hit a plateau, take 3-4 days off from running. You will be craving to get back on the pavement, and you will find your legs very appreciative of the break!
  • RandomMiranda
    Options
    That's a great goal! I did my first 5k in April 2010, working my way up from not being able to run at all. This weekend I'll be doing my 6th. My advice is, stay on track! If you miss a few days, get back with it because your body will bounce back and it will feel like starting all over. I've done that several times. Also, don't go too fast. Start with walking and when the running comes start out at a speed you know you can maintain for a while, even if it feels really slow.
    And get a cute, bright colored shirt for race day. If it's a race with lots of people (my first was several thousand runners) it will make it easier for your supporters to find you.

You can do it! And you'll feel amazing :)
  • StephTheBookworm
    StephTheBookworm Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much, everyone! I appreciate the tips and positive vibes! I will take a lot of these things into account.

I actually just ordered a Polar HRM last week and it will be arriving on Monday! :)
  • TheAncientMariner
    TheAncientMariner Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you!

Lots of folks try the Couch to 5k method to get up to 5k distance in about 9 weeks. The plan is at: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I recently finished and posted my advice here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/517586-i-just-finished-c25k-and-i-want-to-pay-forward-advice-for-those-thinking-of-doing-the-same

This right here. End of thread!
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I myself am currently in training to run my first 5km. I joined the Running Room in Canada and have been doing a Learn to Run clinic.

A few tips I have learned a long the way are as follows:

SHOES! Get fitted for proper shoes....

WATER! Drink half your body weight in ounces per day....hydrate your whole body muslces and joints.

STRETCH before and after a run...especially those legs!

Eat a carb w/ a protein before a run and eat a protein after....the carb gives you the energy to get through and the protein repairs your muscles.

To be a stronger runner also incorporate yoga and/or strength training into your routine.

AND STAY POSITIVE! You can do it! :)

Good luck!
  • secretgirl4611
    secretgirl4611 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I just ran my 1st 5k race last month def. an awesome feeling of accomplishment for me from how I use to live my life with partying and whatnot. UM DEF! FIND UR COMFORT ZONE!!!!!
    NO HUFFING AND PUFFING RED IN THE FACE WHILE RUNNING or You may not like it. + ONCE YOU FIND THAT COMFORT ZONE YOU CAN JUST JOG/RUN WAYYYYY LONGER!! :)
    ALSO, STRIDE! Make sure you land on the ball points of your foot the cushiony part...Im still working on my stride as well. sucks training with shin splints!!! WHICH MEANS PROPER WARMUP AND STRETCHING!!

OH YES!! GOOOOOD LUUUCK AND HAVE FUN :)
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Get fitted for comfortable running shoes, start a reasonable established program like Couch to 5K and above all: Have fun!
  • mamato2babes
    Options
    Have to agree with the suggestion to try the C25K program. You can even download it onto your smart phone. Used it 2 years ago, and just earned a medal at the 5K I ran today!
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    learn the nutrition end of it.. you can't run unless you fuel properly. Don't be afraid of carbs, they keep you running, but choose wisely.. complex carbs keep you going long, and avoid the crash and burn wall. Also Runner's World magazine is the BOMB! A subscription is like $12 a year.. waaay worth it! Every month the mag is chocked full of everything a runner needs: recipes, shoes, stories of encouragement, you name it, it's in there.
  • ToughMudderAddict
    ToughMudderAddict Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I highly, highly, highly recommend the Couch to 5K program. I downloaded a C25K program onto my iPhone/iPod for FREE off of iTunes and used it to get myself back into running. The program starts exactly as you plan to start, little bit of running and then walking intervals which gradually increase. You're encouraged to repeat weeks if need be and one of the biggest tips I can give you is to run at a comfortable pace no matter how slow that may be. Please, please try it.

I don't know what kind of music you like to listen to but Pandora has a great station (in my opinion) to run to "Pop and Hip Hop Power Workout Radio." It really helps to keep me going.

You've already taken the first steps, congrats! Running shoes are super important and you sound like you got some good ones so kudos! Keep track of how many miles you put on those babies so you know when to replace them and only use them for running. Do NOT use them to walk around the mall or anything other than running!

I found when I started running longer that the clothes I had on really affected my performance.. So you may want to pay attention to how you're feeling while you run and correlate it to what you're wearing to see if it affects you? Just an idea.. Some of my clothes - cotton t-shirts for example, were way too hot.

You're going to love your heart rate monitor!! I'm super excited for you to start your 5K journey!!!
  • StephTheBookworm
    StephTheBookworm Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Love all your advice and tips! :smile:
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Hi, I apologize in advance if I'm repeating any advice...I only skimmed the previous posts.

I used this as a running guidline http://www.halhigdon.com/training/50932/5K-Training-The-Most-Popular-Racing-Distance

I see you already got properly fitted for running shoes....that is the most important step, so you are off to a good start.

Now here are my personal tips : )

Be well hydrated before your run, but not so much that you'll need to pee the second you head out the door.

The treadmill should be your acquaintance and the road should be your friend. Get outside and run!!! It makes a huge difference in fighting boredom.

To increase your speed, increase your distance...This was the best piece of advice I ever received. Longer distances plus running frequently. Even if you're just walking & running, make one of them longer than the 5K distance. Run at least 3 times a week. I usually get in one short run, one long run and cross train twice a week. which brings me to my next piece of advice...

CROSS TRAIN!!! Don't just run - circuit train, zumba, lift, work on your core! I really feel that this has improved my running 10 fold!!!

Comfortable clothes - A must. Dress for the weather

I log my miles in a journal. I love seeing them add up : )

MUSIC ~ super important. Eye of the Tiger- Survivor, Lose yourself - Eminem, Modern Love - David Bowie, Ready to go - Republica, Shake it out - Florence and the Machine, Teen Angst - Craker, That's not my name - the ting tings, wanna be startin' something - Michael Jackson ...I know this is a super random mix, but every song here makes me wanna run : )

Mark it on your calender! Make YOU a priority.

Good Luck and Have FUN!!!!
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    although not essential i love using my gps watch, a garmin 305 to track my pace and distance. It has the option to set up virtual runners to run against and set up programs. You can upload them and track your progress.
  • janeosu
    janeosu Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice! I did cross country in college and got out of running in these past few years and I'm working toward doing 5ks again myself :) I guess all I would add is to enjoy your running :) Go out some days without any ipod or monitors and just breathe the fresh air, listen to the sounds, and enjoy the run!
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice up here. ^^^

I did my first 5K about 3 years ago. The one piece of advice I wish someone had given me is to make sure you get a few runs in at the time the 5K will take place. I typically ran in the evenings when I was doing Couch to 5K. But the race was super early in the morning (I think it was a 6:30 a.m. start time.....it was on July 4 so very hot even in the morning). Anyway, I wish I had run at least a couple of times at 6:30 a.m. to see how I felt and make changes if I needed to. I felt awful during the first 15 minutes of the race, and even walked some of it.
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    although not essential i love using my gps watch, a garmin 305 to track my pace and distance. It has the option to set up virtual runners to run against and set up programs. You can upload them and track your progress.

Love my Garmin too! It's so nice to know your pace while you're running instead of waiting to get back home to see how you did.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Keep a running log; how far you went, how fast you went, how you felt, etc. After a few months you can look back and see the tremendous improvements you will have made. You will also be able to use it later to pinpoint what worked and what didn't work in making you a better runner.
  • andrea9873
    andrea9873 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Hi Bookworm, I am so excited to welcome you to your journey to your first 5K! I just finished my first 5k yesterday! I absolutely loved every moment of race day! I had all this nervous adrenaline! I came in at my goal time too. I'm now addicted to running and just registered for a 10K race in April! I can hardly wait!

You're off to a great start already with the proper shoes and of course avoiding injury or over-training with the walk/run alternating. I use MapMyRun to track my pace and mileage, although there are likely other ones out there you can use. For now don't worry about your pace or speed just aim for finishing a set distance like 1 mile this week then increase weekIy by .25 or .5 miles until you are able to run a full 5 miles then taper back to running 3.1 by your race day.

Avoid if possible to run consecutive days.

If you can find a beginner running group go for it! I signed up with a running group and our coach and he pushed us to not give up. My first run was a little over a month ago (Feb 4th) was a 3 mile run that took me 54:00 to complete. (lots of walking) And yesterday I finished 40:11...you're younger than me so go for it!
  • IRun4Me_12
    IRun4Me_12 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    You've got some great advice here! Good luck to you! I am also training for my first ever 5k in September. Feel free to add me if you like!