Graduate School Help!

Options
Opera_Bound
Opera_Bound Posts: 291 Member
Hey all you MFPers out there. I'm currently researching graduate schools so that I can apply this coming fall for the 2010/2011 school year. I'm looking to pursue my Masters of Music degree in Voice Performance/Opera. :bigsmile:

I've spent my whole life living in Florida and would like to get outta here! :noway: I guess I'm mainly looking for any advice on the following schools. It doesn't have to be specific to my degree (as I'm sure there aren't many out there - but if there are WOOHOO and HELLO! :flowerforyou: ), but I'm looking for info on the areas, traveling, hotels, student life, cost of living, etc. So here's my list:

University of Arizona
University of Colorado at Boulder
University of Kansas
University of Tennessee - Knoxville
Temple University
University of Texas - Austin
Ohio State University
University of Hartford - The Hartt School of Music
University of North Carolina - Greensboro

I think that's about it for now. ANY information or insight would be greatly appreciated! :blushing:

Replies

• Opera_Bound
    Options
    Hey all you MFPers out there. I'm currently researching graduate schools so that I can apply this coming fall for the 2010/2011 school year. I'm looking to pursue my Masters of Music degree in Voice Performance/Opera. :bigsmile:

I've spent my whole life living in Florida and would like to get outta here! :noway: I guess I'm mainly looking for any advice on the following schools. It doesn't have to be specific to my degree (as I'm sure there aren't many out there - but if there are WOOHOO and HELLO! :flowerforyou: ), but I'm looking for info on the areas, traveling, hotels, student life, cost of living, etc. So here's my list:

University of Arizona
    University of Colorado at Boulder
    University of Kansas
    University of Tennessee - Knoxville
    Temple University
    Ohio State University
    University of Hartford - The Hartt School of Music

I think that's about it for now. ANY information or insight would be greatly appreciated! :blushing:
  • cryt11
    cryt11 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Good luck Im a Fl girl. I got my masters last December in nursing----watch your diet though, I gained 15 lbs lol:wink::wink:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options

I live not far from the school. Easily a commutable distance. I love this area. Went to high school around here, went away for college, moved back to settle down for a while.

Cost of living... not sure how to compare it with Florida. It's not high, imo. Might wanna look up a more concrete dollar amount online.

Student life is reasonable. You are in a larger area with what I consider "real cities" (you know, shopping centers, bars, clubs, malls, restaurant chains, theatres, museums, etc). There are plenty of events and places to go, assuming you look for them.

Very arts oriented school. My best went there, but for a teaching degree.

Does UNC School of the Arts offer the program you are looking for? They are down the road from me in Winston Salem, NC. They just recently changed from "School of the Arts" to a UNC affiliated school, so you may see both names when searching for them.

Good luck with your search!!
  • njjswim
    njjswim Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Even though I am from Western Pa near University of Pittsburg I would take Ohio State out of your list. Still close enough to come home but in the mountains, 4 seasons and much different then Florida....

GO GATORS!!!!:happy:
  • charliesgold
    charliesgold Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Hey i'm going to grad school in 2010 too!! It's a real pain researching everything though huh? A little overwhelming to say the least! I'm currently looking at University of Arizona and University of GA :) I live in NC though and know a few people who have gone to UNC G and they all love it there. I LOVE this state, it's beautiful and you avoid the really bad weather - less humid than GA and not as cold as the north!
  • tabchanges
    tabchanges Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options

HOOK 'EM HORNS!
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I grew up in Tucson and am an Arizona Alum. I wouldn't mind moving back to Tucson. It has plenty of stuff to do. The campus is nice and the weather is good most of the year. Winter is nothing. Less humid than FL. Parking at the U. is expensive, but there are several bus routes that go on campus. Cost of living is probably a little higer than average for the US, but probably about the same or a little less than florida.
  • Opera_Bound
    Options
    Wow - Thanks for all the responses!

Oh...njjswim - GO NOLES!!!!!!!!!! :bigsmile: :drinker: :bigsmile: Haha. FSU is my Alma Mater...I'm a Nole Girl through and through! :wink: And I'm looking for something COMPLETELY different from Florida - not a huge fan of being here. SO maybe 4 seasons might not be such a bad thing. LOL I'll keep OSU there - it's not HIGH on my list but still an option at this point! Thanks for the input tho.

Lauryn - actually, I received an audition at NCSA (No, I didn't know they were now affiliated with UNC! that's exciting) but had to cancel at the last minute last year. I think it's a great school and I love the teachers - but the A.J. Fletcher Opera Studio only takes ONE per voice part - so a max of 5 students for the program at any ONE time. Maybe a few more depending upon which operas they're planning on doing for the coming seasons. I had a lesson with a Professor there and she warned me about the availability of spots, so we'll see. That's why I wanted to keep UNCG in the mix because I loved their facility (my old roommate auditioned there so we visited both schools on a road trip Dec 2007) and the people, so we'll see what I can find on it. Thanks so much for your help!

AZwildcatfan - I'm VERY interested in the program at U of A. But, I'm nervous to go that far from home, but I figure why NOT?! It's interesting about the $$ of parking. I'm used to FSU - where we didn't have to pay for parking - it was included in our fees - but I realize this is rare. And you pretty much had to take 8am classes in order to GET a spot anyway. So I suppose it's a catch 22. I hear it gets really hot there - but the difference in humidity I guess makes it feel different. That's one thing I HATE about FL. Tallahassee in August is just MISERABLE - I mean, I sweat after standing outside for 20 seconds...ugh.

Charliesgold - Yay for U of Arizona! haha Maybe I'll see ya around in 2010! :wink:
  • charliesgold
    charliesgold Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Oh that would be nice! LOL if I move out that way for school from NC I will know NO ONE! Talk about intimidating, it's so far from home...then again what isn't intimidating about grad school lol
  • azwildcatfan94
    Options
    Tucson is a laid back town (well compared to the rest of AZ). I think about a million people in the entire metro area, but maybe a little less. Lots of good hiking. It is totally a bicycle friendly town. It does get hot in the summer, no doubt about it. Lots of days over 100. However, overall low humidity. The worst is during the monsoon season, especially the day after it rains (temp goes down a little, but humidity goes up), but even that will be minimal to people coming from FL and NC. Everything, every where is air conditioned, so it is only bad when you are outside. Try to do most things outside in the morning when it is cooler. Drink lots of water. If you have the option, take a house with "dual cooling" to save on electric, but if not, choose AC over evaporative cooling (dual is a house with both). Tucson is also about a 7 hour drive from the beaches in San Diego.
  • azwildcatfan94
    Options
    One more thing... even though there is a bus system, it is very much a "driving" type of town. So, bring your car.