NSV with Running

Options
nikkit321
nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
This is my first ever success story post and it has nothing at all to do with the scale.

I have tried twice to become a runner, and both times I had knee issues (running the track at the Y really messed me up) or IT band issues (leg muscle). The second attempt I did C25K and made it to week 7 before my IT bands gave me fits and I quit. Late last fall I discovered an item called a muscle roller at the sporting goods store which I think is why my legs are handling running. The first two weeks I used it I was literally in tears from the pain. Now it's slightly uncomfortable if it's been too many days since I used it. I decided to use the muscle roller for a solid 6 weeks, twice a day, to get the IT bands in as good a shape as possible before starting to run.

So in January I started to run but wanted to make sure I increased slowly, as I think that was part of the issue I had with C25K. My first week I ran a minute (speed 5.0), walked 2 minutes, and ran intervals like that for 30 minutes. I did that for two weeks. It was quite irritating, actually. The next week I ran 2 minutes/walked 2 and did that for two weeks. And so on through January and February, just adding one minute to the runs every two weeks. The last two weeks I was running 7 minutes/walking 3 (just to keep the math easy).

Well today I ran 30 MINUTES STRAIGHT!!!!!! Walked 2, then ran another 8. I am so excited!!

Replies

• alliesun53
    alliesun53 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS!!!! that is awesome. (what is IT bands though?)

Im doing the c25k program and i just finished week 4 day 3 today. I did it outside for the first time EVER. I was looking at what week 5 entails and it starts as 5 min running intervals...then 8 minutes...and day 3 is 20 mins straight...im super nervous...which is why I can relate to how amazing you must have felt doing 30 minutes. keep up the great work!
  • nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Options
    I'm really bad on anatomy, but the IT band (don't remember what the IT stands for) is a muscle that runs from the outside of the hip to the outside of the knee. It is over the thigh muscle and the muscle on the back of the leg. It's free-moving so while the thigh muscle and the other muscle are moving, the IT band is moving independently. Sometimes the IT band can adhere and attach to the thigh muscle or the one on the back of the leg, or both. I think my bands had attached, and they were actually pulling my knee caps out of place, tipping them to the outside of the leg. Extremely painful to walk when my kneecaps were out, took months of PT to be able to walk or stand without pain.

I know what you mean about week 5 of C25K. I was totally freaked out about that week. I ran the 8s five times before I finally succeeded, and it was all mental. Took 2 attempts to manage the 20minute run. If you can do it on the treadmill, cover up the time and distance with a towel so you can't see where you're at, and just go until you just can't go any farther, then check to see where you're at. Today, when I pulled off the towel, I was at 28 minutes and was then so determined to make it to 30. The C25K program truly does get you ready for the long distances, you just need to have faith and trust in yourself and the work you've already put in. I have learned that I don't have very much confidence in myself and I'm the main reason that I don't succeed. I definitely get in my own way sometimes. Please let me know how it goes for you next week!
  • Loseweight1980
    Options
    The IT band is a wide sheet of tissue that runs from the greater trochanter, the widest part of your femur (thigh bone) to the outside edge of your knee. It is responsible for helping stabilize your legs from flopping out the sides, and when you run, it can get really tight if you aren't stretching it properly.
    Way to go with the roller, it is an amazing tool for runners. And congrats on the running!!! Keep up the good work!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!