Help with Paleo please

Hello everyone! I have recently been reading about the Paleo diet and I am very intrigued by it. I have a very bad milk allergy that cause the skin on my hands, wrist and legs to beak out in a rash. So I have cut out milk, butter, yogurt, cheese, ice cream etc of my diet. I have been working on cutting out processed foods as well. Box meals, tv dinners things like that. I'd like to work my way to cutting out noodles, breads, rice, grains etc. How did you do it? Did you go small and take your time? Or jump in completely and all at once? I dont think I can do the all at once things due to money and being a bit overwhelmed. But does starting slow, make a difference? I would think it does, after all a little is better than none right? If you cant afford grass fed beef is it ok to eat regular? How strict are the rules? And finally (I think lol) did you notice changes in your body (weight loss, better moods, sleeping better) right away or did it take time? Or did you not see any changes? Thank you fo all the help.

Replies

• trixirn
    trixirn Posts: 130 Member
    Just don't buy any more non paleo foods at your next shop. Soon your fridge/pantry will be all paleo.
  • trixirn
    trixirn Posts: 130 Member
    also look at everydaypaleo.com
  • I did it all at once, but I made sure I was ready before I did it (grocery shopping done, meals planned, etc). I didn't see any weight results unless I also tracked overall calories and exercise, but after about a week I already felt better overall. I can't see ever going back. 60 days in so far. I read the Robb Wolf book before I started to prepare and after I started I also read Paleo Diet for Athletes. There are tons of recipes online.
  • chammich
    chammich Posts: 104 Member
    Go to the groups section on here and type in Paleo..there are a few wonderful groups that I have met. I also don't eat dairy and my skin is alot better. My hormones are better for that TOM. I am in alot better mood and have more energy.

Make sure you research foods, plan ahead, and cook in bulk. You can add me as a friend if you would like. I have about a thousand recipes saved.
  • shanna0413
    shanna0413 Posts: 600 Member
    Is primal similar just less restictive? This is what I heard from someone.
  • I jumped cold-turkey into Primal weeks ago and I feel fantastic - check out marksdailyapple.com if anyone is interested in it - it is a little less restrictive - I still have cheese and occasionally quinoa but nothing processed ever.
  • runlaugheatpie
    runlaugheatpie Posts: 376 Member
    I'm on a modified paleo diet at the moment, no grains or non-veg carbs mixed with protein/veg/fat. First week was tough now it's ok. I did try to eat whole wheat pasta after 3 weeks and my belly had a really hard time processing it so now i have my own proof! There is some planning and prepping involved but cooking extra dinner will help with next day lunches. I would just make the changes as soon as possible. Robb Wolf has a shopping list on his site too (the paleo solutiion FAQ) just start buying what you can and jump in.

According to the gym scale I have lost 1.5kg in 4 weeks but dont let that be your true guideline. I also have added magnesium citrate and stop with electronics half hour before bedtime so i am sleeping better and have more energy. This in combination with eating well definitely helps.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    I'm primal (dairy is allowed, but since you can't eat it anyways, its not important!). I took it slowly, cut out all wheat, then grains, then sugar (still slip up on that one).

If you can't afford grassfed beef, buy leaner cuts of meat and cook them in coconut oil.
  • sco8462
    sco8462 Posts: 34
    I worked with a nutritionist years ago, so I didn't follow a particular plan, but she had me cut out anything processed and since then I've spent countless hours looking for ways to substitute this for that. I have found that cauliflower is the wonder non-carb for replacing rice and mashed potatoes. I'm not a fan of the sugar substitute-type products, but I do love sweets, so I get the flavored stevia/splenda, which kind of hides the chemical taste, and the dark, dark chocolate. I also found that my body doesn't like lactose. I don't have the reaction you do, I don't digest it well. I switched out for soy. Switching things out and finding alternatives is weird at first, but now I find I prefer the taste and can tell when someone uses olive oil or butter or milk. Good luck.
  • I went primal in January, cold turkey. I am an all or nothing type of person. I have a ton of energy and my endurance has improved alot. I even started running (C25K). it really makes all the difference :)
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    1253885876_suicide.gif
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,490 Member
    bump
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,490 Member
    Hi all...Some low carb veggies below. All can be found here. http://kitchen-parade-veggieventure.blogspot.com/2008/01/how-many-carbs-are-in-vegetables.html
    Along with loads of clickable recipes

Unless specified, Net Carbs are based on a serving size of 1/4 pound of the raw Vegetable

Zero Net Carb Vegetables
    Endive

One Net Carb Vegetables
    Bok Choy
    Broccoli Raab
    Celery

Two Net Carb Vegetables
    Arugula
    Asparagus
    Chard
    Chayote
    Eggplant
    Hearts of Palm
    Jicama
    Lettuce
    Radishes
    Spinach

Three Net Carb Vegetables
    Bell Peppers Green
    Cabbage, Green & Savoy
    Cauliflower
    Cucumber
    Daikon
    Kohlrabi
    Mushrooms, Button
    Pumpkin Puree (1 cup)
    Rhubarb
    Summer Squash
    Zucchini

Four Net Carb Vegetables
    Avocado, California (1 cup)
    Fennel
    Green Beans
    Mushrooms, Crimini & Oyster
    Okra
    Radicchio
    Tomatoes

Five Net Carb Vegetables
    Avocado, Florida (1 Cup)
    Bell Peppers, Red
    Broccoli
    Edamame (1/2 cup)
    Mushrooms, Enoki
    Tomatillo
    Turnips

Six Net Carb Vegetables
    Artichoke (1 choke)
    Bell Peppers, Yellow
    Brussels Sprouts
    Cabbage, Red
    Corn (ear)
    Snow Peas
    Sugar Snap Peas
    Pumpkin
    Rutabagas

Eight Net Carb Vegetables
    Beets
    Carrots
    Celeriac
    Edamame
    Winter Squash

Nine Net Carb Vegetables
    Onion
    Kale

Ten Net Carb Vegetables
    Peas, Green

NETCARB 11 - 15
    Winter Squash, Butternut (NetCarb 11)
    Leeks (NetCarb 12) Parsnips (NetCarb 14) Lima Beans, Fordhooks (NetCarb 15)
    Potatoes, White-Skinned (NetCarb 15)

NETCARB 16-20
    Potatoes, Red-Skinned (NetCarb 16) Sweet Potatoes (NetCarb 17)
    Corn (NetCarb 18) Jerusalem Artichokes (NetCarb 18) Potatoes, Russet (NetCarb 19)

NETCARB 21+
    Garbanzo Beans (NetCarb 21)
    Lima Beans, Baby (NetCarb 21)
    Sun-Dried Tomatoes (no oil) (NetCarb 49)