Weights for girls

Options
Ok... So I reeeeaaalllly want to start doing some weight training... HOWEVER being as though I am the "fairer sex" I dont want to end up looking like Arnold Scharzesomething...

Any suggestions for weight size/reps and all that jazz?

Replies

• Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy will not make you bulk up. Women don't have enough testosterone. Don't be afraid of weights.

Bodybuilders have to work REALLY hard to look like that.
  • chiera88
    chiera88 Posts: 155
    Options
    exactly you'd need steroids. start with 5 pounds i suppose but i lift heavy to get max results
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Lay off the steroids and testosterone injections and you'll be fine.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Unless you start injecting steroids, you will not end up looking like Schwartzenegger. Women do not have the hormones needed to get bulky muscles. Additionally, eating at a deficit (which I assume you are doing since you still have weight to lose according to your ticker) will also keep you from getting "big".

Now, as for a program, lots of women swear by New Rules of Lifting for Women. I've not checked it out myself yet, but I've heard nothing but good things.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Women body builders use steroids and estrogen blockers, coupled with years of training and diet, to look like they do. You won't be buff.
  • coraliethomas
    coraliethomas Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thank you... Ive only been doing cardio up to now, and its getting a bit dull, I really want to start seeing some definition :)
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/518789-the-difference-weight-lifting-makes

Ditto the suggesting for New Rules, however I'm not a huge fan of the diet or the routine after phase 1 (there's nothing wrong with it, but I like simple routines). I've heard really good things about Starting Strength. I just started Strong Lifts 5x5.

If you can meet with a trainer or someone who knows how to do the big lifts and get your form down before you start moving up with weight. If you can't study the hell out of Youtube videos (I hear Mark Ripetoes got some really good ones) to get your form down and maybe having someone video you and post it here for a form check.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Yep what they all said. Bodybuilders have to work out for YEARS to get those kind of muscles. You will have all sorts of time to fine tune your training to get the body you want.