Logging alcohol.

Options
I generally like to have a rum and coke every Friday and Saturday night before bed time (calming). So today I decided to log the alcohol in MFP and was like wow. The rum itself is over 120 calories...and I usually do more than one serving per drink...and more than one drink not including the coke. So I'm consuming an extra 300-500 calories I wasn't even logging. Just wondering if anyone else thought about this or am I the only bed time drinker in denial of the calories. LOL

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    For me, this is one of the real benefits of MFP - you realise how many cals are creeping into your day, even if your meals and snacks seem healthy.
    So, yes, I log them - I also drink less than I used to, now its usually only on the weekend not every day or two as I did before MFP.
    Alcohol is a bit like chocolate for me - I'm not planning to give it up, but I do try to pay attention to how much and how often.
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I log the calories, and yep, it's a lot. I drink more socially than at bedtime, so I try to make sure to get a work out in if I know I'm going to have a couple. And silly as it is, I've learned to drink my gin 'n tonic a little stronger... fewer calories for the tonic, and more "punch" overall, so I don't feel like I need more :-) My downfall is beer, though... not a lot to do about the calories in that!
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options

Alcohol is a bit like chocolate for me - I'm not planning to give it up, but I do try to pay attention to how much and how often.

Great perspective!!!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I had a white mango berry sangria last night and went in to log it, and I was shocked! It can be up to 230 calories!! That said it was totally worth it, just wished I'd eaten a little lighter earlier that day
  • leahnoelle31
    leahnoelle31 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have a 6oz glass of wine almost every night. I'm a working mom of a very "spirited" 3 year old boy so I feel that I deserve it! I just scan the barcode of the bottle of wine and change the serving size from 4oz to 6oz and log it under snacks. I make sure I exercise enough during the day to justify my wine and (hopefully!) my yogurt and chocolate chips for dessert. :).
  • bigjasper
    Options
    Totally log everything...I'm addicted to this thing!
  • bigjasper
    Options
    Love the barcone scan mechanism!
  • FORIANN
    FORIANN Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    When I'm in the States I drink moderately and don't plan to stop...but know that alcohol is a little different on the calorie front. It's completely empty calories devoid of any nutritional value. Even better your body uses them FIRST....which means that any additional food you ate alongside is more likely to be converted to fat. Just Google it. I'm not saying don't drink.....booooo......but I'm saying be informed about it. The OP is right, about MFP keeping me cognizant of the calorie value of the foods I eat now.
  • JSheehy1965
    JSheehy1965 Posts: 404
    Options
    Yeah I started logging alcoholic drinks. My favourite is Scotch with Ginger Wine and I know that the Stones Ginger Wine is calorific. So I'm limiting myself to a couple of glasses of wine at the weekend and occasionally treat myself to the Whiskey Mac (as we call it)
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I drink gin and tonic once and awhile. I think it has less calories than other alcoholic drinks. Occasionally, I have a glass of wine or a beer. But yes, some alcoholic beverages can add up! Just "budget" for them and enjoy in moderation!
  • danapellerin
    danapellerin Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Definitely started logging it and was shocked at how many calories I was consuming by just having a "few beers" here and there. Now I stick to no more than one drink a day.
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    This post was a bad idea, now I'm thinking about trying scotch with ginger and wine. Have to see what that's about.
  • tinaruby
    tinaruby Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have been told Vodka is better in terms of calories and carbs. I really watch my sugars and have decided to refrain from Alcohol for a little while. Last time out, I drank Sambuca and it set me back over 1200 calories... :-)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    When I'm in the States I drink moderately and don't plan to stop...but know that alcohol is a little different on the calorie front. It's completely empty calories devoid of any nutritional value. Even better your body uses them FIRST....which means that any additional food you ate alongside is more likely to be converted to fat. Just Google it. I'm not saying don't drink.....booooo......but I'm saying be informed about it. The OP is right, about MFP keeping me cognizant of the calorie value of the foods I eat now.

If you're in a caloric deficit, temporary fat storage is irrelevant. Yes, the alcohol may cause your body to store some other calories as fat while it deals with the alcohol, but once it's done, it will burn the rest off. Look at it this way, assuming a 2000 calorie TDEE:

No alcohol:
    Eat 1500 calories, body burns 500 fat calories to reach TDEE of 2000. Net fat loss of 500 calories for the day.

Alcohol:
    Eat 1200 calories, drink 300 calories. Say your body stores all 1200 calories eaten while dealing with the alcohol, then you get:

Eat 1200 calories, drink 300 calories, body stores 1200 calories as fat, processes alcohol, and then burns 1700 calories to reach TDEE of 2000. Still a net fat loss of 500 calories for the day (1700-1200=500.)

So either way, as long as you control for your total calories, you get the same results and the same net fat loss. So don't be "afraid" to drink in moderation, as long as you get the nutrition you need, and factor it into your calories, you're fine.
  • cindy4mica
    cindy4mica Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I log *everything* I put into my mouth. Little things add up, and the things we *don't* necessarily think have a significant amount of calories/fat/sodium/etc., usually do:/
  • mmarlow61
    mmarlow61 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher and I have to be careful what is readable by anyone. SO If I have a drink, I log something else with about the same amount of calories on that day to balance it out.
  • cindy4mica
    Options
    64378_3592031809105_1522687414_3327743_359996671_n.jpg
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I cut back on my rum and coke consumption when i started logging the calories.
    The alternative is, use diet coke,and 2 oz of rum is generally 120 calories, so that's not to bad.
    I also drink a low cal mai tai that has 190 calories. You generally just need one of these.
    recipe is
    2 oz lime juice, preferably fresh squeezed
    1 oz amber rum
    1/2 oz triple sec
    3/4 oz amaretto
    dash of bitters
    Shake with ice for good bruising
    Strain and serve over ice.
    Or;
    The Jolly Rancher 146 calories
    2 oz Smirnoff Watermelon Vodka(or any flavor you prefer)
    1/2 fresh squeezed lime
    Top with Selter or club soda over ice
    Throw the squeezed lime in and stir
    Very refreshing
  • cindy4mica
    Options
    I'm a teacher and I have to be careful what is readable by anyone. SO If I have a drink, I log something else with about the same amount of calories on that day to balance it out.

It's a shame you can't be a "real" person:/ My sister works in a school, as well, as has to watch what she posts on FB or anywhere else. You're all human & do human things. Having a few drinks doesn't make you a bad person - last time I checked, alcohol was legal and it looks like you're at least 21;)
  • SammyPacks
    SammyPacks Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I log my alcohol normally. I know how much I'm consuming so I already know what to expect anyways ;P I like the drink on my cheat days (and even then I drink like once in a blue moon)