Cooking baked potatoes in the microwave? (question)

Does anyone know how long to cook one baked potato in the microwave? I just got home from work and want to cook one for myself but don't want to have to wait the full hour just to make it in the oven......anyone have the answer?

Replies

• WhitneyT586
    WhitneyT586 Posts: 279 Member
    I usually poke a couple holes in it, wrap it in saran wrap, and throw it in until I can squeeze it. For a large potato it can take about 10 minutes. Watch it closely so it doesn't dry it out too bad though.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    between 5 and 10 minutes depending on your microwave's power... make sure you poke some holes in the thing though or you may end up with popped potato instead of baked.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Well it would help if you had a Microwave steamer bag. Ziplock makes some and it works great. I know people that do it with a regular ziplock and poke holes in the potato and the bag but I am not sure about microwaving plastic that is not designed for that. But if you have a ziplock steamer bag they work wonderful and has the times right on the bag.
  • It would depend on the size of the potato and the power of your microwave - but you might try about 3 minutes, turn and then 3 minutes more? ...if not done to your preference at that time, then add a couple of minutes at a time until it's as you like it!
  • doonesbury
    doonesbury Posts: 281 Member
    My microwave has a "Potato" button. I just press it once for each tater, up to four.

One potato, two potatoes, three potatoes, four!

Next time I do one I will try to time it for you :)
  • aliciagetshealthy
    aliciagetshealthy Posts: 946 Member
    I have a "potato" key on my microwave and have to actually used 2 cycles...in time, it comes out to about 12 minutes. Make sure to poke holes in it and if you don't have a potato setting, start at about 7-8 minutes, then check the potato for firmness...when done, you should be able to squeeze it easily.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    ** just make sure you stab it with a fork first.
  • ampa916
    ampa916 Posts: 189 Member
    I have a baked potato button on my micro but I just made 3 in there and it was 9 minutes for 3 red potatoes medium sized. They were cooked through, I'd try three to start and add a minute if its not done.
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Potatoes cooked just in the microwave come out mealy. Here is a recipe for perfect quicker baked potato. Won't help you tonight but for next time.

This is from Cooking for Two so it says for 2 potatoes but I always make 1 and turns out great. Thanks for reminding me.

Nuke two spuds on high for 6 minutes (add 2 minutes for each additional potato), then transfer to a baking sheet, stick them in a 375 degree oven and cook for 15 min.

I always poke some holes in the potato with a fork first. Enjoy.
  • KJVBear33
    KJVBear33 Posts: 628
    Thanks guys!! What awesome help!! I will try to do it for 5 minutes and then see where I am at from there.......you guys rock!!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Thanks guys!! What awesome help!! I will try to do it for 5 minutes and then see where I am at from there.......you guys rock!!
    Good luck!
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member

One potato, two potatoes, three potatoes, four!

Now I wanna teach my daughter how to play that game lol
  • samhelen
    samhelen Posts: 98
    I don't use plastic, I throw the potato into a small paper bag or wrap in one slightly damp paper towel with a dry paper towel around it.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    I usually start at three minutes and go from there, I don't use the baggies (phobia about plastic, cancer and microwaves). Poking holes releases the steam and reduces the chance that it will burst, but I don't do it, never been an issue...
  • FreshKrisKreash
    FreshKrisKreash Posts: 444 Member
    There may be a button on your microwave that says Potato. Press that. :)
  • iCACTUS
    iCACTUS Posts: 113
    I just wrap it in wet paper towels and put it in for about 5 minutes. If you can poke a fork in it easily, it is done. If not, try another minute until you can poke the fork in without resistance.
  • KJVBear33
    KJVBear33 Posts: 628
    Last night I figured out my microwave (its a new one so I had only been using the normal number buttons and not the specific buttons for food) and found out it did have a baked potato button! I did that, plus 5 more minutes and I was good to go!! Again, thanks for the help everyone!!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    I would cook it 3 min. at a time and turn after each until soft.