Recommended Calorie intake.

Options
I'm curious, typically as I enter foods I get a red warning at the bottom that recommends a daily intake of calories of at least 1,200 calories.

If I have a very active day, I have a hard time keeping my *net intake of calories 1,200 or greater. I've consumed over 1,200 but worked off a lot of them.

Is that OK so long as I intake atleast 1,200?

Replies

• pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    No, you need to net 1200, not gross.
  • eightpock
    eightpock Posts: 61
    Options
    Yikes.

Food Exercise Net
    1476 - 719 757

I never thought it would be a challenge to get to 1,200 net calories :|
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,648 Member
    Options
    Not to add to your concerns, but the minimum is normally 1500 for a guy. :I
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Not to add to your concerns, but the minimum is normally 1500 for a guy. :I

Ya, I was sitting here thinking: 1200 for a man???? WTH??
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Yep 1200 is way too low for a guy, and 700 NET is ridiculous. Can you drink a protein smoothie or something to boost your calorie intake?
  • eightpock
    Options
    Got to do something, now that I have a fitbit and am more closely tracking calories burned throughout the day, I am only averaging 600 Net calories a day :/

Problem is, come evening I'm not hungry lol
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    When you chronically neglect a baby, it eventually stops crying. That's what you've done to your hunger pains. Start eating more, and you will start getting hungry again.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Got to do something, now that I have a fitbit and am more closely tracking calories burned throughout the day, I am only averaging 600 Net calories a day :/

Problem is, come evening I'm not hungry lol

You gained the weight in the first place, surely you can figure out how to eat more food. Have a bowl of icecream or something!
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Start getting more fats into your diet, good fats, and aim for calorie dense foods. Nuts, coconut oil, peanut butter, etc. This will not only help you meet your calorie goals, but it'll also increase your metabolism and help with weight loss.
  • eightpock
    Options
    HonkyTonks

lol you got a good point. Most of it was gained in my teenage years, playing video games and drinking case after case of mountain dew... it was much easier to gain than lose lol
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Try planing your meals for the day - take a guess at how much you will exercise, and plan meals that fill up all those calories.
    You can change things around during the day if you need to, but having a plan means that you can eat a little bit more for breakfast, lunch, snacks etc and you aren't going to end up with a massive deficit at the end of the day.

Don't feel you have to live on "diet" food - eat regular (healthy) food, but pay attention to your portions. Hell, eat "unhealthy" food now and again if you want to - a slice or two of pizza fits into many people's diary quite happily.

Yes, you need a calorie deficit to lose weight, but for most people clocking up a massive deficit day after day is not going to lead to long term health.
  • amanda52488
    amanda52488 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt suggest eating icecream though....

Try a protein drink or bar... I just bought the Cliff ones and they are about 240 cals 10g protein and delish!
  • amanda52488
    amanda52488 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I mean icecream is fine every once in a while of course! hah