Tips for gaining 5 pounds in a healthy way?

Options
I realized today just how skinny I have gotten. I'm 5'8" and weigh 114 right now. I know that's too skinny! I'm not sure how it got to that point but I want to gain some of that weight back. I want to gain about five months in the next couple of months and would - of course - love for some of it to be muscle.

I lift weights twice a week, do hard cardio twice a week, and light cardio one day. My only concrete fitness goal is a half-marathon in about 11 months but I am mostly a swimmer and always want to improve on that.

So, I'd love some tips. For example, how much protein should I be eating to gain about half a pound a week and gain some muscle?

Thanks!

Replies

• swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Try and eat 500 cals more a day of high protein, lean meats, like chicken breast without the skin
    or a high protein shake (buy whey protein in a huge quantity) after a workout

Thanks! I am pescatarian, so it will be more fish and shrimp for me :) I agree that I need to invest in some whey protein, too. I've been putting it off because I am not a fan of drinking my calories!
  • Balance27
    Balance27 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    You could add a little whey protein to things you are already drinking and/or eating already, like milk and yogurt.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Lots of patience. And weights.
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Try and eat 500 cals more a day of high protein, lean meats, like chicken breast without the skin

Thanks! I am pescatarian, so it will be more fish and shrimp for me :) I agree that I need to invest in some whey protein, too. I've been putting it off because I am not a fan of drinking my calories!

I turned 1 cup of my whey protein into homemade protein bars. It made 8 bars which will last at least 8 days, and they are high in protein, and in tastiness. Mmmmm....
  • swimmermama
    Options

I turned 1 cup of my whey protein into homemade protein bars. It made 8 bars which will last at least 8 days, and they are high in protein, and in tastiness. Mmmmm....

Cool idea! Do you have a link to the recipe?
  • swimmermama
    Options
    Does anyone have tips for what percent of my calories should be protein, etc? Or suggestions for changes to my exercise? Thanks!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Post your:

Weight
    Body Fat%
    How often you work out

I'll post what to set MFP to.
  • swimmermama
    Options
    31, 5'8", 114 (but want to be between 118 and 120), I have no idea, 5 days a week!
  • maximus9898
    Options
    I am also having trouble to gain healthy weight I am 5'7 35 male my weight is 143lbs I am too skinny how many calories I eat a day? I workout three days a week for 50 minutes?
  • swimmermama
    Options
    Still hoping for some more tips if possible :)