Stop lying about nutritional info or supporting the lie

Options

Replies

• Raina27
    Raina27 Posts: 133
    Options
    Great topic! I find myself looking at the packages and the nutrional info usually to see how accurate it is!! I have noticed many items have been WAY off!! Gotta be more aware if you are really trying to lose weight and log your food correctly!!
  • creative1981
    creative1981 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Really people a bacon ,egg and cheese sandwich for 200 calories!? wake up!

LOL

I always sanity check the info - another thing that gets me is a 'cup' wtf is a cup!!! if I eat 110g of food I put down 110g. Not 100g or 1/2 a cup!

I think people just put what's on the package and it's normally per 100g. I just adjust my servings accordingly.
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I find this with the sodium category. It is amazing how many people do not bother to track it.
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I confess I do it to mess with people heads..Anyone fancy some Mcdonalds fries? Only 15 calories!
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I find this with the sodium category. It is amazing how many people do not bother to track it.
    What amazes me is how many people think there can be 0.5mg of sodium in something like a burger!

This site REALLY needs to prevent people from entering that amount, it's ludicrous. We either need a pop up box asking people to choose grams or milligrams, or saying:

Note This site measures sodium MILLIGRAMS.
    Do you really mean to enter a value of less than 1mg?
    If the label quotes the figure in milligrams, eg 0.5mg click OK
    If the label quotes the figure in grams, eg 0.5g multiply the figure by 1000
    This converts 0.5g to 500mg.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I've corrected a few things on here, now, where the calories were way off but everything else was entered correctly. I imagine there are some people out there who are a bit miffed at me.
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    What amazes me is how many people think there can be 0.5mg of sodium in something like a burger!

This site REALLY needs to prevent people from entering that amount, it's ludicrous. We either need a pop up box asking people to choose grams or milligrams, or saying:

Note This site measures sodium MILLIGRAMS.
    Do you really mean to enter a value of less than 1mg?
    If the label quotes the figure in milligrams, eg 0.5mg click OK
    If the label quotes the figure in grams, eg 0.5g multiply the figure by 1000
    This converts 0.5g to 500mg.
    \

I change these constantly. It infuriates me.
  • rblair_22
    rblair_22 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I just have a question about the bacon, egg and cheese sandwich being 200 calories. Did the person state where they purchased this sandwich or was it a home made one. The reason for my asking, is I have a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich recipe that I got from the Biggest Loser Family Cookbook and guess what? 186 calories! So it is possible. Unless they specified purchasing this sandwich from a fast food chain in their title I wouldn't necessarily bash them for it.
  • WorkoutMaine
    Options
    I agree some people just don't get the count right and they are the ones that will suffer in the long run. You also need to remember anything can be made low cal.
    Alfredo:
    Shirataki Linguini 40 calories (whole package)
    Walden Farms Alfredo Sauce 0 (ZERO) Calories

Linguini Alfredo 40 cal.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options

Why? It's not relevant to me - I have no health reason to track it - so I take no notice of it, beyond skimming over my end-of-week tallies to see if I'm roughly on-track with everything, not just sodium. If I'm entering a new food, and have the information on hand, I'll add it, but if not, I'm afraid I'm not going to spend time hunting for the information. For a lot of people, macros are not particularly important - what they're interested in is their calorie intake.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Okay, I feel a little bit dumb. Basically I didn't realize "adding a new food" would put something in the database for others. It was suppose to be just for me. The reason being is I don't like the "recipe" section.

When I put in a recipe, I'm putting in all the ingredients and having to go down the list and put in the amounts per ingredient. Well, the measurements aren't that sophisticated on the phone and it may let me pick 5/8 of a cup instead of what I really want. When I do "add a new food," after I've done all the math myself, I can just enter the correct number without having to wonder just how much of each ingredient went into my bowl exactly. I had another app before this one and it allowed me to enter all the ingredients that go into the entire batch and then just tell it how big I wanted my serving size to be and it did the splitting for me for the entire meal instead of each ingredient. I find this one frustrating, yet I don't want to screw people up when they don't know what goes into my specific recipe. Sigh. What to do?
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Sodium should be the least of your concerns.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    HOwever...

I do look at nutritional info for everything on my own. Even if I'm logging someone else's homemade grilled cheese, I'm gonna look at my bread, margarine and cheese to see that it is very similar or right on the nose. Granted the rest of it may be off. For most things, I'm gonna enter my own foods directly because the barcode scanner is just too nifty (and I do compare the back to the scanned info) but for some things that aren't scannable, I do tend to take people's word for it (fresh veggies, meat, etc.)

I measure most of the stuff I put in my body unless it is very low cal. I even have a scale.
  • Weathers58
    Weathers58 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    How much is a Big Macc with Cheese then as I've been using the one at 124 calories and I'm not losing weight.

I feel full though as I have three or four a day.

Is this not right?
  • Kell_Smurthwaite
    Kell_Smurthwaite Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    If I see something that is obviously off or has info missing, I correct it. I also make a lot of my own recipes which I've added into m yown database with as much info as I can get into them. I want my food entries ot be as accurate as possible because I'm serious about getting to a healthy weight and am looooong over kidding myself about things.
  • jesska812
    jesska812 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    If I'm adding food that I don't have a barcode for I always check the entry against my calorie king app which has all the Australian calories for lots of those 'eating out' foods and food chains.
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    186 Calories in a sandwich - that dont even cover the bread - dream on
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Sodium should be the least of your concerns.
    [/quote

:laugh: ]
  • WorkoutMaine
    Options
    186 Calories in a sandwich - that dont even cover the bread - dream on

Fiber one honey wheat 50 calorie per slice bread.
  • ❤_veggies_rock_❤
    Options
    Some things have different calorie counts in different countries. Maybe you're stumbling on some of those ?

I seen stat differences right away when I joined, and you ALWAYS have to double check your own stats with the dtata stats on this systems data board. I wonder why you think people are telling lies? They more than likely do not know or made an error in documentations. I make even when I am trying to be accurate. I find it hard to believe anyone would deliberately log in a false amount---however I do believe there are people who screw with the system data charts by changing the stats. I have seen it over & over again. I hate when I don't have time to verify foods from restaurants but use MFP resources. But it is not that big of a deal & I wonder why it is for you? Instead of thinking people are telling lies why not offer some help & guidance to your friends? or could be friends & help them with the stats?