Multi-vitamin side effects

Options
Every once in a while I feel the need to take a multi-vitamin. If I'm feeling tired or if I feel like there's something missing I'll start taking it. I started taking one a day, first with caffeine added, which made me jittery and nauseous. So I tried one a day without caffeine and still got nauseous, after about 2 weeks it made me physically sick.
So I switched to a different brand...natures own or natures choice...something like that and didn't have any problems for a while. Yesterday I started taking them again after about a month long break and had the same problem...I felt so ill after taking it.
I Always take my vitamins after I eat breakfast, so an empty stomach isn't the problem.
I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

Replies

• ChristineandRoxy
    ChristineandRoxy Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I used to im not really sure why but i think i may be sensitive to niacin i found taking it before i went to sleep helped the most for me but now i dont take a multi i take specific ones and dont have a problem now. Try taking a b-complex vitamin d and get your iron checked That should help with feeling tired
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    i will puke if i take vitamins in the morning. weird huh? never found out why, never really tried another brand. tried taking them with food, with milk, with a saltine... gave up, its not worth it for me to feel like that. if i take them before i go to sleep it dosnt do anything (that i can tell while i sleep) maybe give that a try? if not i would talk to your dr.
  • AlixClockHeart
    AlixClockHeart Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Depending on your size and such, try a children's vitamin. I take Flinstones and never have that problem but if I take "adult" vitamins they me nauseous too.
  • katydid25
    katydid25 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    It's possible the potency is too strong. I finally found one I like after two others made me dizzy. The label suggests taking 3, but I only do one in the morning and one mid afternoon or it has the same effect.
  • maf66
    maf66 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Does the vitamin have Iron or Ferrous Sulfate in it? That could be what is making you sick. I can't take a multi, but I can take other supplements. You might try a B- complex at 50mg/day at breakfast or lunch. That will put a lil pep in your step :)
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I use adult Gummie Vitamins. Have not had a problem with the nausea anymore.
  • rubysphoto
    rubysphoto Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I take a pharmaceutical grade multivitamin with no problems but everyone's body is different. The one thing I have found is not all vitamins are made the same. Here is a video clip that opened my eyes and made me look in to vitamins a lot closer.

http://youtu.be/7F1d_xP4Lpo
  • Frisky_CoastalNative
    Options
    Multi-vitamins make me feel sick as well so I stick with B-Complex and Vit-D3
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I have to take mine with food or I feel nauseated. I was also advised by my doctor that vitamins (multivitamins, fish oil, etc.) should always be taken with food.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Most healthy adults don't need a vitamin supplement. You should see your doctor and get tested for deficiencies. They will know what to test for if you tell them how you are feeling. Also, during the winter some people get deficient in Vitamin D and feel sluggish and zombie-ish. I did and it got so bad, my memory was being affected. I had a serious Vitamin D deficiency because of medications I am taking. Per doctor's orders, I am taking 6000IU per day now. It only took about 3 weeks for me to notice a difference in how I feel and now I feel great! I wouldn't just take a bunch of Vitamin D without seeing your doctor first as you can get too much if you aren't deficient.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Don't bother if your eating all the foods groups you don't need them anyway. Many recent medical articles support this.
  • TheUnwritten
    TheUnwritten Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Multivitamins make me feel weak and tired after taking them for some reason. I tried many brands and I get the same reaction. I stopped taking them all together and get my vitamins from food.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I take a pharmaceutical grade multivitamin with no problems but everyone's body is different. The one thing I have found is not all vitamins are made the same. Here is a video clip that opened my eyes and made me look in to vitamins a lot closer.

What exactly does "pharmaceutical grade multivitamin" mean?

What a surprise, the guy in the video is shilling for a multi-level marketing organization.........
  • rubysphoto
    rubysphoto Posts: 254 Member
    Options

What a surprise, the guy in the video is shilling for a multi-level marketing organization.........

It is considered a doctor quality supplement. Not made with the preservatives to keep it on the shelf of a store for years. When I searched on how a lot of the vitamins were made not all are the same. Not bioavailable, not cold pressed. Just something else to think about. I thought the same thing, great a MLM but opened my eyes when I looked more in to the claims.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of embarrassed to admit this but a couple vitamins I have tried made me constipated and once I stopped taking them everything was fine.

I tried a Walmart brand women's multi-vitamin that was something energy and metabolism. It was almost instantaneous that when I took it, I felt like I was going to puke. Even taking it after eating it made me feel bad. Not to mention jittery, with or without food. Threw them suckers away! I figure if I eat well I probably don't need all the extra vitamins anyhow. Sometimes I feel sluggish and wonder if I am not missing something in my diet. Probably should talk to a Dr. about that ...
  • katydid25
    katydid25 Posts: 199 Member
    Options

Pharmaceutical grade is more a marketing term than anything. It really means that the products were manufactured in a building that also manufactures pharmaceuticals and really doesn't have much to do with the purity, potency, etc. And it makes them more expensive because people LOVE good marketing. Before taking any vitamin or supplement, I would ask the company how they products are tested. That part IS important. The 'pharmaceutical grade' is not so much.
  • 2kidsmckinney
    2kidsmckinney Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I always would become sick from vitamins until I started breaking it in half. I take the first half and then wait at least 30 min and then take the other half. If you have the same luck you will never ever feel sick from a multivitamin. Let us know if any of the tricks work please.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I also will get sick to my stomach if I take a multi. I gave up on those years ago. I will do a single vitamin if I think it will help, but in general, vitamins just make my pee more expensive.

I hear that gummi vitamins are easier to digest.
  • RikanSoulja
    RikanSoulja Posts: 463 Member
    Options

Pharmaceutical grade is more a marketing term than anything. It really means that the products were manufactured in a building that also manufactures pharmaceuticals and really doesn't have much to do with the purity, potency, etc. And it makes them more expensive because people LOVE good marketing. Before taking any vitamin or supplement, I would ask the company how they products are tested. That part IS important. The 'pharmaceutical grade' is not so much.
    Why is testing important? How will that affect you? Or point to the quality?
  • vieilleame
    vieilleame Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I always had this problem! I would take my vitamin in the morning and always feel nauseated.

SIMPLE FIX: Take your multi vitamin on a full stomach! Eat some breakfast or lunch and then take the pill. No nausea! Works every time, I promise!!!