2lb handheld weights

Sorry if this seems silly or laughable but I wondered if there are any reps I can do with the weights to help my arms... The only work they get is carrying the weekly shop, pushing a pushchair or walking the dog.
Any advice would be greatfully received.x

Replies

• polly_lops
    polly_lops Posts: 35 Member
    Hey! Just saw this & felt compelled to answer...there's loads you can do. Bicep curls, tricep curls, upright rowing...then there's things I don't know the name for...holding them in your hands (haha obviously) and lifting straight ahead of you, or you could bend arms, hold by your shoulders then raise up so your arms are straight in the air (lateral raises maybe)

There's another you can do but you need to be on a bench or maybe you could do it on the bed. Lie so your head is right at the top (near open space) and start with one weight on your hands on your tummy, lift the weight up (near chin) and over the top of your head so your arms go up and behind your head...that's good for back fat.

Sorry if my descriptions are confusing, ask me if you're stuck or google arm exercises and they might have pictures or videos on YouTube...

X
  • mummyzena
    mummyzena Posts: 259 Member
    Thank you chick a dee, would you know how many of each etc to do? I did get what you mean from the descriptions.x
  • creative1981
    creative1981 Posts: 182 Member
    I'm sure there are loads on you tube. I use by 2lbs weights with Davina's Top Fit and Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. It gives you a much better work out!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    The fact that they even exist confuses me. Surely your handbag weighs more???
  • mummyzena

What do you think I need in my handbag? Phone, keys and wallet. Do you have any better suggestions?x
  • creative1981

Haha I thought they were pointless before I started using them. Considering I was using cans of beans before, the 2lbs are much heavier when you're actually working out.

Not all girls have mega handbags! Phone, keys and purse. That's all.
  • mummyzena

Haha I thought they were pointless before I started using them. Considering I was using cans of beans before, the 2lbs are much heavier when you're actually working out.

Not all girls have mega handbags! Phone, keys and purse. That's all.
    Thank you thought I was losing my marbles then.x
  • BootcampJunkie
    BootcampJunkie Posts: 69 Member
    Do 3 sets of 30 reps if your arms are not fatigued after that increase your weights to 5lbs and then move up to 8lbs and then 10lbs. Its not necessary to go any higher than 10lb dumbbells, unless you want to join a body building competition. for a kettle bell max out at 20lbs.
    I teach outdoor boot camp and i don't have anyone using more than 10lb dumbbells

A good circuit would be bicep curls, hammer curls (tricep curls), chest flys, lat pull, and frontal and lateral shoulder extensions.
    If you need any more ideas add me and i would be happy to help.
  • mummyzena
    Do 3 sets of 30 reps if your arms are not fatigued after that increase your weights to 5lbs and then move up to 8lbs and then 10lbs. Its not necessary to go any higher than 10lb dumbbells, unless you want to join a body building competition. for a kettle bell max out at 20lbs.
    I teach outdoor boot camp and i don't have anyone using more than 10lb dumbbells

A good circuit would be bicep curls, hammer curls (tricep curls), chest flys, lat pull, and frontal and lateral shoulder extensions.
    If you need any more ideas add me and i would be happy to help.
    Thank you so much. I have no idea what a kettle bell is but no bodybuildings comps to attend :-) x
  • IronSmasher
    Where did you get your qualifications to teach? I'd hoping to teach boot camp style classes some day.

It's alright, I found it in your profile.
  • The fact that they even exist confuses me. Surely your handbag weighs more???
    Ha ha but no - I do a lot heavier for my chest and back but need them for my shoulders and just that weight makes them burn unfortunately. Any heavier right now and they start clicking and hurting.

We all have to start somewhere :wink:
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Do 3 sets of 30 reps if your arms are not fatigued after that increase your weights to 5lbs and then move up to 8lbs and then 10lbs. Its not necessary to go any higher than 10lb dumbbells, unless you want to join a body building competition. for a kettle bell max out at 20lbs

AllI got to say about the above paragraph is wow... So much misinformation.

If you want to get sculpted arms then lift heavy... You are not going to get bulky as we do not have the testosterone for that. A lot of women I know lift more then 10 pound dumbbells (hell a barbell alone weights 45 pounds) and none of us are looking to join a body building competition. You need to keep increasing the weight to challenge yourself.. otherwise, you are just going to plateau and not get anywhere.

30 reps is going to do nothing for your arms... Pick a weight that you can only lift 6-8 times and you should be struggling by the last rep, but can still do it with good form. Once that gets easy, then bump the weights up.
  • mummyzena
    At the moment it is just to make sure I don't have too much loose skin on my arms as I lose weight and (rightly or wrongly) thought as I'm still at the low end of my ultimate weight loss lighter strength training would be better.x
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    At the moment it is just to make sure I don't have too much loose skin on my arms as I lose weight and (rightly or wrongly) thought as I'm still at the low end of my ultimate weight loss lighter strength training would be better.x

I disagree.. Lift heavy woman!

Loose skin is part exercise and part genetics.. You may still have it, even though you weight train and the only thing that will get rid of it is plastic surgery.

Low weight and high reps do nothing for you... If you want muscle, then you need to lift heavy, eat at a small calorie deficit and make sure you get lots of protein so you retain what you already have and hopefully build some more.

Remember the more muscle you have, the more you burn over all.. which is going to help the weight loss journey.

Edited to add:
    Read this link.. and see what happens when you lift heavy and not endless light weights.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/518789-the-difference-weight-lifting-makes
  • cjm109
    cjm109 Posts: 264 Member

Loose skin is part exercise and part genetics.. You may still have it, even though you weight train and the only thing that will get rid of it is plastic surgery.

Low weight and high reps do nothing for you... If you want muscle, then you need to lift heavy, eat at a small calorie deficit and make sure you get lots of protein so you retain what you already have and hopefully build some more.

Remember the more muscle you have, the more you burn over all.. which is going to help the weight loss journey.

Edited to add:
    Read this link.. and see what happens when you lift heavy and not endless light weights.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/518789-the-difference-weight-lifting-makes

I have to agree...heavier.....I gradually increase with each rep. I know everyone has a different routine but for example if I start with 10 lbs for 12 reps I then go to 12 lbs for 10 reps, 15 lbs for 8 reps, 20 lbs for 6 reps and back to 15 lbs for 12 reps total of 5 sets with 30-60 seconds rest in between.

Ofcourse I didn't start out with 10 lbs but worked up to it. As long as you start is what matters.

Do what feels right for you and there are lots of sites out there with demos of exersizes...just google them.

One other thing and this is just my preference....but your ticker says how much you have to go....when I did that I was overwhelmed with the number and thought I would never reach that goal so I changed to how much lost. It worked for me mentally, again there is no right or wrong and if it's good for you and you want it that way it's all good.

Good luck on your journey.....fyi My purse weighs around 15 lbs.:laugh:
  • mummyzena

Edited to add:

I have to agree...heavier.....I gradually increase with each rep. I know everyone has a different routine but for example if I start with 10 lbs for 12 reps I then go to 12 lbs for 10 reps, 15 lbs for 8 reps, 20 lbs for 6 reps and back to 15 lbs for 12 reps total of 5 sets with 30-60 seconds rest in between.

Ofcourse I didn't start out with 10 lbs but worked up to it. As long as you start is what matters.

Do what feels right for you and there are lots of sites out there with demos of exersizes...just google them.

One other thing and this is just my preference....but your ticker says how much you have to go....when I did that I was overwhelmed with the number and thought I would never reach that goal so I changed to how much lost. It worked for me mentally, again there is no right or wrong and if it's good for you and you want it that way it's all good.

Good luck on your journey.....fyi My purse weighs around 15 lbs.:laugh:
    What do you have in your purse?lol.
    Ok will start with what I have then order a set of various weight ones. :-) i understand what you are saying about the ticker but for me I like to see the dwindling numbers that I am getting ever closer to goal... May be odd pyschology but it keeps me happy.
    Thank you everyone for the advice.x
  • IronSmasher
    You don't need to spend more money, you really don't.

What I meant with the handbag comment is, that there are plenty of things you can use in the house.

You could put books or water bottles or cans in a bag and use that.

Check out marklauren.com for more ideas.

Try not to take exercise tips off of people that can't spell kettlebell.

Or flyes.

And I doubt even google knows what a tricep curl is. The tricep muscle extends the arm.
  • mummyzena
    My 17lb baby? :-)
    I have a really tiny handbag but get your point thank you. Will check out the website.x
  • creative1981
    My 17lb baby? :-)

Haha but then you'll have to borrow another for the other arm ;)

My 2lbers burn my arms as it is. As someone else said, everyone has to start somewhere.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Some handbags do, but very difficult to do supermans with a handbag in each hand. :tongue: And that is one move that I still use my 2 - 3lb dumbbells for! I use my 8s or 10s (and am hoping to get some 12's & 15's soon!) for almost everything else, but I struggle with anything heavier than 2lbs for weighted supermans.
  • mbts08
    mbts08 Posts: 284 Member
    Do 3 sets of 30 reps if your arms are not fatigued after that increase your weights to 5lbs and then move up to 8lbs and then 10lbs. Its not necessary to go any higher than 10lb dumbbells, unless you want to join a body building competition. for a kettle bell max out at 20lbs

AllI got to say about the above paragraph is wow... So much misinformation.

If you want to get sculpted arms then lift heavy... You are not going to get bulky as we do not have the testosterone for that. A lot of women I know lift more then 10 pound dumbbells (hell a barbell alone weights 45 pounds) and none of us are looking to join a body building competition. You need to keep increasing the weight to challenge yourself.. otherwise, you are just going to plateau and not get anywhere.

30 reps is going to do nothing for your arms... Pick a weight that you can only lift 6-8 times and you should be struggling by the last rep, but can still do it with good form. Once that gets easy, then bump the weights up.

THIS!^^^^^^^

2lb weights.....throw them away. I lift heavy and I look no where near a "bodybuilder"! Please work your way up to heavy weights.