Do I have exercise-induced asthma?

Options
Hi guys :)

Just a few minutes ago I came home from running a bit.
I'm not the sporty kind of girl, but I want to change that and so I decided to go running since the sun came out this morning.

Now, I have the problem that even after I just run for like five minutes I tend to literally run out of air. I mean, I breath in but it seems to me that the oxygen never reaches my lungs :(
Is that just normal because I am not used to running?

When I went running a few months ago with a friend, he didn't let me have any breaks and I ended up squeaking every time I was breathing in, feeling I would choke any minute.

So, I was wondering if you guys think it's normal and I should just go on until I get fit and everythings going to be okay, or if you think I should see a doctor before running the next time?

Replies

• runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    You can run for five minutes? I'm jealous already.

Can't answer your specific question, but I had severe asthma as a child that nearly killed me on multiple occasions. Now, I can't run for more than about 30 seconds before I can't breathe, but I can tell it's definitely not asthma - just being incredibly unfit!
  • PlasticPsycho
    Options
    Yea, I am incredibly unfit :D
    But I've never seen anybody doing worse than me :D
    (I would rather say "It's not me, I have exrcise-induced asthma")
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    If you have only started running, your lungs just aren't used to it lol. It will take a lot of time and effort before you are able to run for long periods of time without running out of breath so quickly.

I used to go jogging 3 times a week and I did this for about 3 months and I still had problems with shortness of breath. It's nothing to be ashamed of. The people you are most likely seeing outside running have probably been running a hell of a lot longer and there lungs are used to it, they have a proper breathing pattern going on.

I haven't jogged for about 3 or 4 weeks now, I enjoy cycling and I feel I am getting better each time I go on a bike ride. If I am going up hills, even though my legs are burning like hell I will keep pushing myself and saying to myself, I can have a little rest when I get to the top. I change my breathing patterns, to deep breaths through the nose and out from the mouth. About 90% of the time I can get up the hill and have that rest I deserve. The remaining percent is when my wheels don't grip the ground properly because of the amount of dirt stuck on the wheels and I lose my speed and pattern completely lol.

You will get used to it the more you jog and the longer you jog. I think I might get back into jogging because I do need to work on other muscles and increase my lung capacity for other workouts. The only problem is I have terrible knee problems while running and it becomes a pain when my knee decides to fail on me...
  • spim
    spim Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm both terribly unfit and have exercise induced asthma, and I find that after having a couple puffs on my inhaler really helps open up my lungs, though it is perfectly manageable without.

I'd suggest that if you can manage your breathing during and after your runs, try a few more times, and if you still have the symptoms, or they persist for more than a couple hours (I ran on Friday and I'm wheezy as anything this morning) then definitely visit your doctor, as I doubt they would prescribe you anything unless it's happened a few times at least, especially with you saying you're unfit.
  • PlasticPsycho
    Options
    Okay thanks :)
    I guess that means I have to get lazy me out running some times more :)
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Another thing is: I tried running like this before and got really disheartened. I started the C25K plan about 3 weeks ago and it's an excellent way to build up your strength/stamina without killing yourself :) It's an interval based thing, all perfectly free - just google it. It may be more suitable for you than just going out of your door and trying to run as far as possible.

Incidentally I am asthmatic and no longer need my inhaler for running - the whole thing has really made a huge difference for me :)
  • Josteyn
    Josteyn Posts: 44
    Options
    Actually, if you are in the UK or somewhere that has free health-care, I'd go and get checked over. It can't hurt, and it might make you feel better about the amount you can realistically push yourself before you need a break.
  • TamsinEllis
    TamsinEllis Posts: 293
    Options
    When I went running a few months ago with a friend, he didn't let me have any breaks and I ended up squeaking every time I was breathing in, feeling I would choke any minute.

I agree with what everyone else has said, but this sentence of yours alone makes me 99% positive you don't have exercise-induced asthma, if you did you would have collapsed/passed out, instead of just feeling like you're going to choke. I have "exercise-induced asthma" (I don't really I'm allergic to the environment, car fumes etc, but they just class it as that) and on several occasions when exercising (now and in the past) I've had to go knock on someones door and beg for them to call an ambulance. So don't worry about your breathing it'll get better :D
  • mdebbie1026
    mdebbie1026 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Asthma is nothing to self diagnose, you need to see your, doc ASAP. It can get very serious very quickly, and if you are running by yourself, who is going to call for help? It frightens me to think about the scenarios you could end up in. My son and I have this, but my grandson has had many hospitalizations b/c of asthma. Please see your doctor! In the meantime don't aggravate your lungs walk instead of running or jogging at least till you KNOW.
  • PlasticPsycho
    Options
    Thank you for your advice :)
    I guess I'll just see a doctor precautionally, just to be sure.
    Well, and if he says no, then I don't have an excuse anymore :D
  • willismack2
    Options
    Asthma is nothing to self diagnose, you need to see your, doc ASAP. It can get very serious very quickly, and if you are running by yourself, who is going to call for help? It frightens me to think about the scenarios you could end up in. My son and I have this, but my grandson has had many hospitalizations b/c of asthma. Please see your doctor! In the meantime don't aggravate your lungs walk instead of running or jogging at least till you KNOW.

Agreed. I tried running for several years and just thought "i was out of shape". Some days were worse than others but I managed to improve my fitness. Then one night I ended up at the ER for an asthma attack. I now take meds every day and use my inhaler pre workout. It is fine now and manageable, and I run a lot. Good Luck