1000 cal burned = 1 lb weight loss

Someone has said to me - just wondering , do you agree or disagree?

Replies

• runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    No. It's 3500.
  • Isolt
    Isolt Posts: 70
    No. It's 3500.

Unfortunately that's also a myth.

Nobody, and I mean *nobody* (not Governments, not nutritionists) can come up with a source for that or even back it up. Those who've tried to prove it via testing have failed.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    it is 3500
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    If it was only 1000 calories I would be a skeleton, proven or not 3500 seems a lot more accurate than 1000
  • Isolt
    Isolt Posts: 70
    If it was only 1000 calories I would be a skeleton, proven or not 3500 seems a lot more accurate than 1000

Well the truth is that nobody knows and it's likely to be a bit different for each person. if the 3500 = 1lb of weight lost were true, then by simple maths one should be able to cut 500 calories a day off one's needs and lose 1lb a week, come rain or shine, but we all know that doesn't happen and it's been proven in controlled studies on weight loss that it doesn't happen.

Also, the formula of 3500 = 1lb weight supposes that all calories are treated the same by the body, no matter what they're made up of and that isn't the case. If you eat 100 calories of protein, around 70 calories are available to the body as energy. If you eat 100 calories of carbohydrates, around 93 are available to the body as energy.
  • Cat_296
    Cat_296 Posts: 40
    Yeah, the 3500 cal defecit to give 1lb of fat loss is an average of an average of an average of a bit of a guess!! Medical studies have shown that it takes anything between a 300-800 calorie daily defecit to stimulate fat loss, and due to genetic differences not everyone will lose the same amount of fat over the same time even if they have the same defecit.
  • amyy902
    amyy902 Posts: 290 Member
    it is said to be around 3500. this is a guide not gospel. anyone who believes it is is very misguided.
  • Wrong, it is 3500