Calories for Strength training?

Just wondering why myfitnesspal doesn't give calories for strength training, why only for cardio?

Replies

• kardsharp
    kardsharp Posts: 516 Member
    I am wondering the same thing.
  • Penelope2Plyr
    Penelope2Plyr Posts: 166 Member
    How funny! I can find strength training but not cardio. I just keyed in strength training and how many min and it gave me my calories. What did you key is to get the cardio??? Add me as a friend if you would like, I am 66 yrs old and began working out with a personal trainer 3 weeks ago, and I love doing it. Anxious to get there each time I go.
  • marymickaela
    marymickaela Posts: 190 Member
    I use my heart rate monitor to count calories while doing my strength training. Under cardio is a choice that says strength training, weight lifting, etc.so I list them under that. I know what you mean by listing it as a separate choice and think workouts are so varied it's difficult.
  • marymickaela
    Just go to diary and choose ADD (like you're adding food) and it is lower down on the screen. That will take you to cardio. I was also frustrated about not being able to use strength training, but this was the best I could fine.

Glad to be your friend.

Mary
  • marymickaela
    Off to meet with my trainer. Thank God as there are days I really don't want to exercise, but with this I have no choice.
  • Ptyson4
    Ptyson4 Posts: 57 Member
    Go to Add Cardio, then from the Cardio menu choose Strength. You detail your strength training under Add Strength. Hope this helps! If you are doing intense strength you might want to increase the calorie burn a bit, especially if you are working out your legs. :)
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    If you're doing actual weight training (low reps, high weights), it's hard to estimate calorie burns (especially using something like HRM). There is a lot of excellent information about why here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/596497-strength-training-important-or-not?page=2