Getting to my goal - need help please!

Options
Hey

I've been on MFP for just over 3 weeks and find the information and support invaluable. I started weighing at the end of my 1st week. At the end if my 2nd I had lost 6lb and the end of my 3rd I had lost 2lb. The 1st week I ate around 1500-1600 calories, 2nd 1500 calories and the 3rd week 1450 calories. I read about not eating below your BMR so have slightly increased to 1600 calories.

I am going to Greece in just over 9 weeks and would like to look as good as I possibly can in that time. This is where I need help. Could someone help me with the amount of calories I should be eating and exercise I should do and what results I should expect to see. I have never set a goal but would like to, I just don't know what I can achieve.

I have eaten quite happily at 1450 calories and have gained a lot of control around food. I measure and weight out correct portion sizes so eating better isn't a problem. I usually have oats for breakfast and salad or a salad sandwich for lunch and then whatever for tea. I still have takeaways (1 a week or 1 every 2 weeks) I used to have over 2 a week! I just made sure I have enough calories left. I have learnt that moderation is key and I am getting on great with that.

Ok so here's some information about me. I am 21, weigh 227lbs and my height is 5'9". Unfortunately at the moment I don't have a job so my only general activities are cleaning the house and going out shopping. I have a cross trainer / exercise bike which I have started using and me and my partner go on fast paced hour long walks 2-3 times a week. I am also looking into getting a fitness DVD so when I am sat at home I can do some cardio, maybe something like Zumba or 30D. I have heard many people stressing the importance of weightlifting. When I have money I'll buy some.

I don't have an ultimate goal as of yet, just to fit in an old pair of jeans(size 14) then take it from there.

So could anyone please help me? Suggestions on the calories I should consume, maybe an exercise regime and how much I can expect to lose so I can set myself a goal.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

Hayley

Replies

• samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    You can use the calculators under the tools to get your BMR and BMI then use them to figure out what a healthy weight for you would be. I just did it and is said between 150-160 for your height. I personally don't feel comfortable recommending a calorie goal, because I'm not a doctor but there are plenty of people will suggest stuff. No matter what someone says, you have to do what's right for you. It may take a few tries to figure out what that is. All I do know, is that using the 1lb x week goal is usually the safest and best option for long term weight loss. (until you get down to the final 15lbs then drop to .5)