"healthy" icecream...nooo wayyyy!

Options
Hello, I stumbled appon this recipe last night because I was searching for a lower fat ice cream and I wanted to see which kind was the best. Well I found something even BETTER! I had to share this with you guys because I was so surprised at how yummy it actually is! You take a banana and slice into 1/4 to 1/2 disk..Place banana peices flat on plate and slide into freezer for at least hour ( I did mine overnight). Once frozen take banana peices and put half in food processer...start grinding them up..they will become almost like "frozen banana gravel" it doesnt look to great but keep spinning!! it takes about 7 mins for them to become whipped & creamy looking! now place in a air tight container ( I used a old ice cream container that my husband gladly finished off =P ) I just rinsed it out and scooped my banana goodness in.. You repeat for the other half of frozen bananas....It was delish! and it got rid of my icecream craving without killing my daily calorie/fat. You could even add a little milk if you want to or peanutbutter..next time I may try to add some frozen strawberries..hope you all enjoy this as much as I do!! :) have a great day!! I am posting a link that i got the idea from just so you guys can see step by step pics I found it helpful :)

http://userealbutter.com/2010/08/12/single-ingredient-ice-cream-recipe/

Replies

• kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    hmm I wonder how it would work the other way around (blitz the banana into whipped cream consistency then freeze)
  • iluxoxo211
    iluxoxo211 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I actually stumbled apon a comment on one of them that I looked at last night and it said that it comes out much better more of a ice cream type thing if you freeze the bananas for at least a hour before...Im not sure why but you could try it! :)
  • indigobirder
    Options
    I make something similar and add chocolate almond milk. It is wonderful.
  • iluxoxo211
    Options
    I took my banana ice cream mix I made and I added 1/2 cup frozen strawberries to it and I chopped them in the chopper and blended them and its a healthy treat :)
    130 cals, 0g fat, 37 carbs & 2g pro for a cup
    ...Its much better then the cup of ben&Jerrys I was eating that was
    500cals, 26g fat, 58 carbs & 8g pro!!
  • student94
    student94 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I love making this! I add a tablespoon of cocoa powder and it makes it a really rich chocolate flavor for just a few more a calories.
  • iluxoxo211
    Options
    I love making this! I add a tablespoon of cocoa powder and it makes it a really rich chocolate flavor for just a few more a calories.

Yumm I will have to try that! It really is amazing how yummy it tastes! I had a problem with ice cream and now I can just have this when I feel the craving for it! You really can add anything to it.
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I will definitely try this out. Bookmarked the page.
  • RachelNichole85
    RachelNichole85 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing!
  • RestartThisRight
    Options
    bump
  • knelson422
    knelson422 Posts: 308
    Options
    This IS really good. I make it all of the time. I will have to try adding the cocoa powder. I do usually top it with mini chocolate chips, 1 tablespoon. It is really good!!!
  • redmichelle67
    redmichelle67 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    mmmmm I;ll have to try that ....I Luv Icecream .......
  • aphillips8180
    aphillips8180 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    bump
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Bump x
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I took a self-confidence workship in high school with a model, and she introduced us to all sorts of healthy things. One of them was these "ice creams", and she made both a banana one and a strawberry one. She put them through some kind of grinder (it wasn't a food processor), and they came out quite smooth with the only "chunky" things being the seeds from the strawberries in that one. They were so good!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious! Thanks for posting!
    I buy Schwanns raspberry and orange cream fat free ice cream bars. 70 cals, portion controlled and def. worth it to me! There is a brand in the grocery store, I think Jamba? They make a rasp swirl bar that has 60-70 also and I LOVE it!
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    bump
  • aljeca
    aljeca Posts: 83
    Options
    this is so genius and looks so delicious in the picture in the link! can't wait to try it! my bananas are still slightly green. thanks for the post!
  • l_oudman
    l_oudman Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Bunmp.
  • ericalynn104
    ericalynn104 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I've done this before but I just mashed it instead. Still yummy! :)
  • iluxoxo211
    Options
    Sounds delicious! Thanks for posting!
    I buy Schwanns raspberry and orange cream fat free ice cream bars. 70 cals, portion controlled and def. worth it to me! There is a brand in the grocery store, I think Jamba? They make a rasp swirl bar that has 60-70 also and I LOVE it!

Oh yum they sound good! I will have to try them out thanks! :)