afternoon crash

Options
Does anyone else get an energy crash in the afternoon? What do you do about it? I'm really careful to eat nutritious, whole foods every 3 hours or so. From about 3:00 until dinnertime, I'm exhausted. After dinner, I'm ok which tells me it's about food or blood sugar or something. Any suggestions?

Replies

• breezysoul
    breezysoul Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else get an energy crash in the afternoon? What do you do about it? I'm really careful to eat nutritious, whole foods every 3 hours or so. From about 3:00 until dinnertime, I'm exhausted. After dinner, I'm ok which tells me it's about food or blood sugar or something. Any suggestions?
  • pattitricia85
    pattitricia85 Posts: 376
    Options
    oh man same thing happens to me... once i get on the train to go home i feel horrible. but the last couple weeks i have been eating a whole sandwich bag full of carrot sticks and broccoli around 2:00 then around 4 when i leave i eat a zone perfect bar. i know a lot of people don't like eating those sort of bars and if you are into whole food maybe a half of a peanut butter sandwich w/ natural peanut butter or something like that. This gives me enough energy to head to the gym as soon as i get home (around 5) then once i get home i might have a little handful of craisens of like 4 triscuits
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,059 Member
    Options
    Are you eating sugar? That'll do it.

Do you drink coffee or other caffeinated beverages early in the day? They could just be metabolized by mid-day.

Take a 10 minute walk, or climb steps on your after-lunch break. You'll get energized. :flowerforyou:
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Are you eating complex carbs (bran oatmeal etc) plus protein in each meal? I find if I only eat oatmeal for breakfast I'll crash in 2 hrs unless I pair it with bacon.
  • angel1face
    angel1face Posts: 110
    Options
    Im the same way i get so tired at around the same time so what i did is bought some diebetic candys and have one or two that might help?:bigsmile:
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    yup... I usually a) have a cup of coffee or b) take a nap (I'm a research student, so I make my own schedule:bigsmile:)

When I was in college, I had to learn that around 2:30pm I had to go for a walk or take a bike ride or something otherwise it would be :yawn: during my afternoon classes.
  • mbmempireranch
    Options
    I was having the same problem and it was terrible. I would go Gung Ho all day then just Whew shut down... I ordered Shakeology from beach body and I've never felt better. I drink it about 3 pm and not only do I not have those shut down's anymore, i'm losing weight and feel awesome :)

You can PM if you want more info on it :)

I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT :)

I mix my choc one with low fat peanut butter and it's like a Resses shake :) Love it:love:
  • kaylou
    kaylou Posts: 375 Member
    Options

Oh my gosh I can eat my left arm on the ride home from work!!! and my fiance works late so he doesn't get home until 7-8.....so I started bringing the slimfast optima (180-190 calories) I have this around 3-4pm....and it holds me until 7-8. Then I am not even that hungry so I only eat about 400 calories for dinner.
    There are days where I am not hungry so I will skip the 3 pm slimfast and just have an medium apple...around 80 calories. But then I have to eat dinner around 6 and I don't wait for him to get home.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,059 Member
    Options
    Here's another little somethin' for you to ponder.

~~~~~~~~~~

One glass of water shuts down midnight hunger pangs for almost 100% of the dieters studied in a University study.

Lack of water is the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue.

Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses of water a day could significantly ease back and joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers.

A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on the computer screen.

Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of colon cancer by 45%, plus it can slash the risk of breast cancer by 79%, and one is 50% less likely to develop bladder cancer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/46143-the-importance-of-water?page=1#posts-487407
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options
    I agree that adequate water intake helps a lot. But... I also believe that a crash is natural to some extent. It gets hot in the middle of the day and diurnal animals all over the world typically rest and conserve energy during the heat of the day, as we probably did way back in the days before civilization. Some of us will be more susceptible than others.

I crash regularly right after lunch. Now, it is currently 99 degrees outside and I don't blast my a/c because it's a waste of money. So during the summer, the ambient temperature plays a huge part for me. If I haven't eaten much or I'm dehydrated, my "crash" is much more severe than if I am properly hydrated and properly fueled, but I still crash. Sometimes a cup of coffee is all I can do to get me thru until the evening when I just naturally start to feel more alive again. :drinker: