awkward...

Options
Lol, so my niece has this 16 year old boyfriend who has been going to the gym for a year and he is looking all kinds of ripped and shredded... I was hanging out and my sister in laws place the other day and Dakota happened to be there and I remarked that its awesome that he knows how to use all the weights and machines at the gym, cus I'm way to scared to even try weights (I treadmill/cardio)... So he says "I'll teach you".

Soooo today Im going to the gym with my nieces high school boyfriend to be schooled in weight training. Im excited... but for some or other reason I feel really weird about it too! Im not sure I like the idea of some young teenage kid bossing me around at the gym :laugh:

Replies

• Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    awesome! I would feel akward too, but at least now you'll know how to use those intimidating things!!!
  • bear_nakey
    bear_nakey Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    bbllllaaahahahahhaa . . . it's hilarious in a cougaristic-appearance sort of way!!! LOL I'm positive that isn't the case but still its funny! And yes, the idea of some teen showing you the ropes as an adult is major weirdness!!! But I gotta say, some of the most determined people at my gym are the teens, so he probably knows his stuff!
  • kag1526
    kag1526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    maybe its because my husband and I are the tech experts of our families although we are by far the youngest (Doing things like him getting a cousin to set up the super nintendo because he was too short to reach the connections but still was the only one that knew what he was doing or me installing ram for the first time but needing dad to push it in because I wasn't strong enough I was in middle school. But I never understood why people are bothered by learning something from someone younger then them. Would it bother you to be learning from this guy if he was a friend that was your age or a bit older?
  • coraliethomas
    coraliethomas Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    maybe its because my husband and I are the tech experts of our families although we are by far the youngest (Doing things like him getting a cousin to set up the super nintendo because he was too short to reach the connections but still was the only one that knew what he was doing or me installing ram for the first time but needing dad to push it in because I wasn't strong enough I was in middle school. But I never understood why people are bothered by learning something from someone younger then them. Would it bother you to be learning from this guy if he was a friend that was your age or a bit older?

No I guess not... I guess what it really is.. I dont want this kid going to school tomorrow remarking about how he trained this fat lady at the gym... hahah! I guess you gotta start somewhere!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Please be careful. Just because he's ripped doesn't mean he knows anything. It's really easy to get ripped at his age. It was for me. And, he can do everything wrong to his back and joints and not feel it for many years.

I see big ripped buff dudes all the time doing everything wrong. I just shake my head. Like, when they do curls that re so heavy they are swinging heir whole body to do it. It's like, "which muscle are you working there? Your ankles?" anyway, be careful. Just because he does some things and looks good doesnt mean he knows how to train you. In fact, you might want to cancel. And, go see a professional trainer.

Just some friendly unsolicited advice.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Please be careful. Just because he's ripped doesn't mean he knows anything. It's really easy to get ripped at his age. It was for me. And, he can do everything wrong to his back and joints and not feel it for many years.

I see big ripped buff dudes all the time doing everything wrong. I just shake my head. Like, when they do curls that re so heavy they are swinging heir whole body to do it. It's like, "which muscle are you working there? Your ankles?" anyway, be careful. Just because he does some things and looks good doesnt mean he knows how to train you. In fact, you might want to cancel. And, go see a professional trainer.

Just some friendly unsolicited advice.

Agreed. Just because you know how to train, doesn't mean you know how to train someone else. If you go in there and he teaches you what machines do what and some basic free weight exercises, that's fine, but I wouldn't allow him to design a program (or do his program) for you. Remember, he's a 16 year old boy, with testosterone running rampant through his body, which means its easier for him to lose fat and gain muscle.
  • fieldsy4life
    Options
    I agree with Frazdogg and Thefuzz. If you're intimidated by the weights, you should inquire about a personal training lesson.

Unless of course this young man is going to show you how to use some of the machines - like adjusting the weight, seat height, stuff like that.

But don't assume somebody is a fitness guru just because they are ripped; they could just have gifted genetics! I hope you have fun at the gym and learn something though. Weights are a great way to round out your fitness routine.
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    ash to be under 21 again. I used to get ripped just driving past the gym
  • juliedealer
    Options
    I completely understand about being intimidated by the weights, that is a healthy fear. Even a few sessions with trainer could be extremely helpful. I've been using a trainer for about 20 months now and it is the best money i ever spent.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    ash to be under 21 again. I used to get ripped just driving past the gym

Lol! I felt the same way!
  • coraliethomas
    coraliethomas Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I DID IT!! MY FIRST WEIGHT SESSION!! I am one weak lady though :( However, Dakota was a really good coach, corrected me when my form was wrong (he trains with trainers) and helped me through it... he pushed me when I needed pushed but made sure I wasnt hurting myself.

That is soooo empowering though! Even though I could barely drive home I feel awesome!!
  • qwills2cats
    qwills2cats Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    When I go to the high school track to run there are some teens that inspire and motivate me. All summer long one kid showed up at 6 am and ran wind sprints and distance and then did the stairs in the stadium for 2 hours before football practice started. I have to say he was amazing to this chunky middle aged woman plodding around the track.

Now if you can get your other nieces to hook up with a doctor, a lawyer, a handyman and a car mechanic you'll be set for life lol
  • eventualrainbow
    Options
    I've always had the opinion that we're all teachers -- every one of us. So maybe he'll teach you something you didn't know, beyond just how to use the weight machines. You never know til you try it!
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I'd feel awkward, too, but how nice of a kid is your niece dating? Thumbs up to her for taste.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Awesome! And yeah, shows he's a good guy if he's willing to help.