Fat2FitRadio.com

Options
I have been seeing this website in the forums alot lately so I decided to check it out and see how much I should be eating every day. When I typed all my information in, it said:

Harris-Benedict Formula -- BMR is 2003 calories

Katch-McArdle Formula -- Lean body mass of 141 lbs and BMR 1754 calories

How Many Calories Should I eat? -- Moderately Active (Exercise 3-5 days/week) 2883 calories

Im beyond confused with all of this. How much am I supposed to eat every day?! Im also confused about this car/protein/fat ratio stuff. What should I be aiming for? I will give all information about myself below, thanks in advance for anyone that can help. I dont have a problem with females answering, I value all opinions, but Im really hoping for the guys to help me out with this one.

-- 20 year old male
-- 5'11"
-- 188 lbs

NUTRITION:
-- Currently set at 1650 calories/day

EXERCISE:
-- 30 Day Shred 5 days/week
-- Weight training 3 days/week ***starting tomorrow - Monday (3/13)***

GOALS:
-- Lose Fat
-- Build Muscle
-- Form a more "v-shaped" body

*** Im not interested in a particular number on the scale; Im going strictly on what I see in the mirror. ***

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    BMR is an estimate of the number of calories you would need in a day if you did nothing but lie in bed, when you factor in just day to day activities (using the Harris Benedict model) and were sedentary you'd multiply your BMR by 1.2 to get an estimate of the calories needed just to maintain your current body weight and the activity factors go up from there.

Remember though, these are maintenance number (and they're estimates - you're a complex living organism, not a mathematical model) so if your maintenance is 2883 (based on being moderately active) figure out how much weight you'd like to lose each week (1b = 3500 cal) divide that by 7 to get your desired daily deficit.

There are a considerable range of opinions on what % of your calories should come from fats, protein (1 g protein = approx 4 cal) and carbs. Again, in general terms you should be consuming about .8g protein for each kg of body mass (.36g / lb) and with a ration of 40% of calories from carbs, 30% (or less ) from fats and 30% from protein. Bodybuilders typically will consume additional levels of protein as it's believed that this helps with repair / growth of muscle tissue.

Then, to further confuse things, this article appeared in the Globe and Mail suggestion that the rations don't count - it's all jsut calories in calories out. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health/new-health/health-nutrition/leslie-beck/just-cut-calories-proteincarbfat-ratio-doesnt-matter-study/article2320984/
  • Stazed
    Stazed Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    fat2fit promote eating the number of calories for your desired weight (2800 in your case), the reasoning is that this will be your maintenance when you reach your goal. you can under-eat this by a couple of hundred cals if you wish to speed up the process but they have calculated a deficit (not sure how big the deficit is) to allow for a safe weight loss.
    bear in mind they have included exercise cals so you don't need to eat those back if you use their numbers but on mfp you need to hit your net cals so eat your exercise cals.
    hope this helps
  • d2rala
    d2rala Posts: 54
    Options
    You want a V Type shape. What is your body frame?
    My husband is a tall endomorph - even in his best physical condition he never had, never will have "a six pack".
    I'm not saying you can't have the physical appearance you want, but make sure that you have realistic expectations.

(I'm a curvy middle aged lady, will those cute straight little mini skirts ever look good on me? NOPE!) :smile:
  • HardyGirl4Ever
    HardyGirl4Ever Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I hate hopping onto someone else's question, but I can't get an answer, and I'm really hoping no one minds me asking. I've had myself at moderate activity, and I've changed my activity lately, and now I"m worried that I'm eating too much, because I'm not getting anywhere.

I do strength training 3 days per week, 30-40 minutes. I do cardio 5 days per week, different intensities and durations. I also do yoga, tai chi or pilates every day. Now that I'm doing less intense cardio than I was, and more yoga, should I drop down to the light activity calories?
  • fakeuntilumakeit
    Options
    I hate hopping onto someone else's question, but I can't get an answer, and I'm really hoping no one minds me asking. I've had myself at moderate activity, and I've changed my activity lately, and now I"m worried that I'm eating too much, because I'm not getting anywhere.

I do strength training 3 days per week, 30-40 minutes. I do cardio 5 days per week, different intensities and durations. I also do yoga, tai chi or pilates every day. Now that I'm doing less intense cardio than I was, and more yoga, should I drop down to the light activity calories?

Hi try that fattofit site much less confusing, I just recalculated and I've been eating way less than I should be, you probably surprise yourself and need to eat more, it also gives a healthy weight loss goal. Good luck
  • CanGirl40
    CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Don't have any real advice but have you listened to Fat2Fit podcasts (free on iTunes?). Jeff and Russ are AMAZING! Unfortunately, Jeff has left the show but Russ is still doing it with another co-host. The podcasts educated me a LOT.
  • Kelly_fat2fit30
    Options
    Don't have any real advice but have you listened to Fat2Fit podcasts (free on iTunes?). Jeff and Russ are AMAZING! Unfortunately, Jeff has left the show but Russ is still doing it with another co-host. The podcasts educated me a LOT.

I agree!!!! I have been listening to their podcast for a month now and it is LIFE CHANGING!!! I am obsessed and have realized now the damage I have done to my body over the last year. Like someone said above everyone is going to be different. My BMR is 2300 at exercising 3-5 times a week (moderate). What they suggest is starting out eating those exact number of calories per day for a few weeks or even a month. What this does is allows your body to fully understand that you are NOT starving it and it undoes any damage you may have caused it by not feeding it for several months/years. Then once your body has recovered, you want to reduce the number of calories from that number. So after a few weeks I would eat 2100 calories or maybe even 1900 to 2000 calories. The weight will start falling off because you are providing the fuel it needs!!

but again, its not an exact science. You may want to reduce by only 100 calories from your BMR to start out with and then SLOWLY go down from there as not to shock your body. Jeff and Russ are very clear in stating that if you have been at a low calorie diet for so long and you start eating at your BMR you WILL gain weight but that's only because your body has been starved for so long!! But don't panic!! Once your body gets a chance to really understand that you are no longer starving it and has repaired all of the stress from the low calorie eating it has endured you will lose weight again. The HEALTHY way. Think of where you want to be in 1 year or 2 years. Do not think of where you want to be in 1 to 2 months. Its all in how you change your mindset!!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump