First time QUINOA user! Recipes?

Options
SONIA820
SONIA820 Posts: 208 Member
I bought some from Trader Joe's...tricolored quinoa and I have some idea's....I was thinking Chicken, black beans and quinoa but I need some ideas on how to flavor it....I know I could use chicken broth but I only have the bullion cubes and I hate to use that because of the sodium content...I was also thinking some salsa...What is your favorite way of using quinoa?

Replies

• rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i used to just make it with chicken broth and eat it like rice - or as a pilaf with random chopped veggies...but recently i made the quinoa mac and cheese recipe on this site and its AMAZING!
    there are also some recipes for veggie burgers made out of quinoa - i havent tried those yet but they sound yummy.
  • cazwillis99
    cazwillis99 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    i steam mine instead of boiling it in a pan with water - it is much less stodgy this way. I usually add a bit of tomato puree and garlic puree to give it some flavour if it is to go with a salad. Steam - 1 part quinoa to 2 parts water & steam for approx 40mins. I am now going to look for quinoa burgers because this sounds interesting :-)
  • iron_jj
    iron_jj Posts: 446 Member
    Options
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I use it instead of meat when I make chili.
  • celticgladiator
    celticgladiator Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i mostly just add chopped veggies like a pilaf and then spray braggs liquid aminos on it and sprinkle a little seasoned sea salt or greek seasoning for a little flavor. ive seen several recipes that sound good online but have yet to try any of them.
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I like a sprinkling of seasoning salt. Or shredded cheese. I eat it several times a week & always make it this way: cook quinoa, scramble in 1 egg or egg whites, add whatever veggies you want, add a sprinkling of cheese and/or seasoning.
  • celticgladiator
    celticgladiator Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I use it instead of meat when I make chili.

i might have to try that :)
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I made a quinoa salad the other day

1c steamed quinoa
    1c blanched asparagus spears but into 1-inch pieces
    8 artichoke hearts packed in water and drained
    1/4 c fat free feta cheese
    the dressing was an asparagus-spinach pesto with a little parmesan, toasted pinenuts, olive oil, blanched asparagus spears and the juice of one lemon. I pureed this until it was the consistency that I like and tossed the salad with it. SOoooooo yummy!
  • Pohudet
    Pohudet Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    my husband cooks it in a rice cooker, and we eat it just like rice. But it is nuttier and more satisfying than rice. So we have it with any dish which one eats rice with. Also, I ate leftovers for breakfast a couple of times, could eat it cold or heat it up. I usually do not put anything sweet on my oatmeal, so i did not put anything on quinoa when i had it for breakfast with a cup of coffee. I suppose you can put some fruit or berries on it, or whatever else you put on your oatmeal.
  • sassika
    sassika Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Bump - for later
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Think of it as rice, or orzo, etc. we add to chili, soups, and stews, and I am going to try making some tabbouleh or rice salad-like dishes as well.
  • DizsJourney
    DizsJourney Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Yellerie
    Yellerie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    This is a quinoa side dish that can be served warm or cold:

2 Cups cooked quinoa (2 parts water to 1 cup quinoa bring to a boil cover then let simmer on low till tender stirring occasionally around 20 - 25 mins)
    mix the following with the cooked quinoa:
    1-2 tbs EVOO
    1 cup baby spinach chopped
    1/4 cup red onions diced
    1/4 cup feta cheese
    1/4 cup almonds chopped
    1/4 cup dried cranberries

Tweak to fit your taste. My exercise instructor made this for our class to try & I've been hooked ever since
  • TamsinEllis
    TamsinEllis Posts: 293
    Options
    I use it instead of rice and do egg fried "rice" :) But that's because I love egg fried rice but with quinoa it's got better nutrients and that so I don't feel as guilty eating it. Also, I tend to just boil it in water, then add chillis, jalepinos, peppers, sauce - depending on my mood could be reggae reggae cause or just plain old tabasco - onions, can add in some meat such as tuna/chicken etc and just make a nice big stir fry (I'd like to add I am guilty of using the "1cal" cooking spray for this, but I'm sure it would still work out quite good if you were to use proper cooking oil).
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    This is my ABSOLUTE favorite Quinoa Recipe-- Quinoa with Peas

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/quinoa-with-peas/
  • brismom070897
    brismom070897 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Mabohlale
    Mabohlale Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I love using leftover quinoa as a breakfast cereal ... put 1 c of cooked quinoa in a pan with some low-fat milk, dried fruit and nuts, vanilla and cinnamon, and a bit of sweetener and heat it up. Yummy hot cereal!!!
  • thetiwi1890
    thetiwi1890 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Bump :flowerforyou:
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I like quinoa salad. I make quinoa a little different than most. 1 part quinoa, 2 parts liquid, bring to a boil, cover, put in 400 degree oven for 20 minutes or until fully absorbed. No burning on the bottom of the pan this way.

Anyway, quinoa salad. Quinoa, cooked in part chicken stock, part fruit juice. Cool, mix with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, some orange and/or lemon/lime juice, dried fruits such as craisins, cranberries, dried apples, etc, fresh mint, and some chopped pistachios.

Yum
  • cclark1203
    cclark1203 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I have tried the mac and cheese recipe that's on here but it was too rich for me using the Kraft Mozzarella w/cream cheese so I thought next time I might try reduced fat colby jack.