Need advice from ex smokers

Options
123457»

Replies

• piwigirl
    piwigirl Posts: 2
    Options
    You need to find something that is more important and remember it. Every time you think you need a smoke remember why you don't want one. Picture your kids in the years to come, do you want them to be smokers? Do you want to lead by example? When I gave up smoking (4 years ago) I said, I'm just not having one at the moment, if I want one I will have one but I don't at the moment thank you. I am still saying this now!
  • Kayraysmommy2209
    Options
    You can get through it and it may take a few times before your done. I have quit 6 times for a few months at a time, but you will find something that works. So far I haven't had a cigarette in a month and what really made me quit was a severe lung infection. I couldn't make it up 10 steps without having to rest. My husband and dad are using ecigarettes from vaporcorner.com and it seems to be working for them and they are decently priced. I also threw out anything that smelled like cigarettes, threw away my ashtrays, I cleaned out my car and sprayed my favorite smell in it and even threw out pillows because even if you don't smoke in your room, it comes off your body. I quit cold turkey, drink lots of water, it seemed to help to take a sip of water when I wanted a cig. Also if possible when you get an urge to smoke, take a walk, take some good deep breathes. And lastly let everyone know you are quitting. You need to have support and tell them that.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Anyone got some good advice? I know I should quit smoking (and it has been the worst 53 hours of my life so far) and I have decided to do it. Lots of problems, though. I love smoking! I don't want to quit. I'm doing it because I'm tired of being stinky and being short of breath and I want to see my kids get married, etc., but it's so hard! I'm being a total crabby *****. How long till I start feeling normal again?! Other advice?

Take it one hour at a time, when you get to three days without, it is slightly easier, by the time a week goes by, the light is at the end of the tunnel.

The longer you go without, the easier it gets.

I used to be a 40 to 50 per day smoker and gave up, I had to take it bit by bit though. Ignoring the future and just concentrating on the present got me through.

One other thing that did help me tons, was having the curiosity and wondering how fast or far I could run when the nicotine was finally out of my system. I didn't have long to wait, because the improvement came within days.

(I still miss it mind, but I would miss my running more ;)