Why can't I run now??

Options
I started off great... I was up, moving, and then I was up and running. I could easily jog 2 miles, sometimes more.

Now? I can't. I can't make a 1/3rd of a mile. My knees ache, my ankles scream, my back is killing me. What did I do??

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    how are your shoes? Is it possible that they've worn down?

Are you running on a different surface?

Are you able to 'push through' the toxic ten (the first ten minutes / mile of a run is always the nastiest) and see what lies beyond that?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Stereotypical MFP question, but... are you eating enough?
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    My first mile is the hardest on any run, whether I'm going 3 miles or 15 miles, on the treadmill or outdoors. I read a book on marathon training, that you beat it with your mind - "but it doesn't matter" is what you tell yourself. Slow down, keep walking, anything, but just ignore those first few moments of self doubt.

Another idea, warm up before you go out the door with 20 minutes of just body loosening exercises, I like squats and lunges. Or walk a mile before you start running.

IMO, it's probably more mental than it is physical, maybe try a bit of yoga to loosen your body on non-running days too.
  • butters1
    butters1 Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Just checking in on the other side of possibilities...have you overdone it? I get so excited by my success, i have totally blown it before on multiple occasions. Patience has never been one of my best attributes. If you have a running plan like cto5k try and stick with it :flowerforyou:
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    One of several things. Not stretching out your muscles enough before and/ or after you ran, make sure you have a good energy snack before running, and last but not least- the grand daddy of all running injuries, IMPROPER FOOTWEAR! My guess would be this more than anything else. Improper footwear lets impact injuries (like you describe) happen.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Are you stretching really well before you run? Are you eating a snack an hour or two before you try running? I have a banana about 2 hours before I go to the gym to run and it makes all the difference in my ability.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    One of several things. Not stretching out your muscles enough before and/ or after you ran, make sure you have a good energy snack before running, and last but not least- the grand daddy of all running injuries, IMPROPER FOOTWEAR! My guess would be this more than anything else. Improper footwear lets impact injuries (like you describe) happen.

LOL. I should have read your response before posting.
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options

LOL. I should have read your response before posting.
    That's okay! Great minds think alike!
  • Rachiepie6
    Rachiepie6 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Based on the injuries described, being joint not muscle, I'd say footwear would be the first thing to be checked, then the overdoing and not stretching.

If your muscles aren't up to the run yet, the joints are going to take more impact than if your muscles can handle the run.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    Back when we ran, my wife bought shoes by Ryka. They were cheap and they sell them at DSW.
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I don't think my shoes are too worn down... they were new in December.

It's possible I did too much, too fast - and I'm not stretching well enough? I am eating enough (and I always eat my exercise cals), but I do not have much muscle at all, so that's probably another factor. I'll look up some proper stretching techniques. Its very possible I'm not doing enough.

Oh, my shoes are Ryka, lol. That's too funny. I love them, they're super comfy.

I'll keep on trucking through! I was just surprised by how much I hurt!
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    Stretching is probably not going to help, but if you like it it shouldn't hurt, either.

Eating glucose (corn syrup/dextrose) before running should help you. Sleep is also important.

No real advice about shoes, except that "neutral" shoes with lots of padding can increase pronation, so even if you don't foot roll too much without shoes, they can cause an increase in that roll.

The usual causes of non-acute pain are too much too soon and running too fast. I found couch to 5k to be a reasonable way to limit yourself. I also like heart rate monitors.
  • Lynnmi07
    Lynnmi07 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Did you take a break and come back to it or have you been doing it consistently and now just can't endure it? Maybe you over trained. I had this problem recently too, I was running well then all of a sudden couldn't run for a minute without wanting to walk. I say take a few days off from running. Maybe lift weights or do some other form of activity then go back to running but start slowly.
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    How long have you been running?