Post-Binge Hugs?

Options
I've had the crappiest day today. My depression leeched all the life out of me and I've spent the majority of the day curled up either a) asleep or b) in tears. I upped my calories last Sunday and have since gained back 3lbs and this evening for the first time in MONTHS, I had a 'proper' binge. Not a candy bar or bag of crisps but I had already eaten 1300 for the day and ontop of that had 5 roast potatoes, a heaping tablespoon of peas, another of carrots, another of green beans then 3 pieces, big pieces, of millionaire shortbread (all of that adding about 1000 calories?) then I decided to have a pizza. Not a slice, no I had a whole 12" (1500), I was watching it cook and I couldn't stop myself. Then I had a slice of cake I had baked yesterday (550) So that's what? Conservative estimate 3500 calories in 45 minutes? Plus my regular intake of 1300 so that's close to 5000 calories I had today, all because I'm in a low.

I just can't cope anymore, and I needed to vent.

Replies

• D446
    D446 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    You are doing an amazing job still. Just remember that you have had control over it up until this point, so you can continue to have control over it, despite this set back. Just don't let it spiral into an ongoing thing. I bet if you lower your calories again u will drop those 3lbs in a second :).
  • rayleansout
    rayleansout Posts: 234
    Options
    Ok u made a mistake, just forgive yourself, move forward, and make a goal to eat super clean for three weeks before you step on the scale again!!
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    changed my mind
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    You had a lot of healthy food in that binge. You overdosed on nutrition. :smile:

Dust yourself off and remember that it's just a day. Tomorrow is brand new.
  • melbaby925
    melbaby925 Posts: 613
    Options
    Hey - think of it as your cheat day and start again tomorrow.

But if this starts becoming an issue for you, you should suit up and go outside and walk. Even a crappy weather day is going to get you into a different frame of mind if you go outside and breathe some fresh air.

It's what's worked for me - I take the dog for a walk every time I start to feel crappy or start to want food that I shouldn't eat and really won't make me feel good.
  • lilfurson
    lilfurson Posts: 190
    Options
    It's 1 day...this is a lifestyle change and sometimes you just hit a rough patch. Hugs!

Edit: I agree with others. Without exercise I would be a in a totally different frame of mind most days. If I wake up feeling crappy usually my morning bike ride will help switch things around.
  • jozev
    jozev Posts: 27
    Options
    Depression has had a very negative effect on my diet as well. I wish I had the answer.
  • katiej122
    katiej122 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me so many times. Sometimes you just cant stop yourself, and its the most frustrating thing in the world. But with weight loss you're never ever going to run out of second chances, you'll always be able to have another go at getting it right.
    Weight loss with depression is really hard, it feels impossible sometimes especially when you're in a habit of making yourself feel better with food, but you can definitely overcome it.
    I hope you feel better tomorrow, and that things look up :) Don't beat yourself up, you don't deserve any hate from yourself, you're doing an amazing job and you should be proud that you're trying.
    <3
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Sorry for your anxiety.
    Is this occasional binge anxiety or professional help anxiety?
  • cindyputman
    Options
    Do not judge yourself by this day... relax... take a deep breath and start fresh in the morning!:bigsmile:
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    One day won't derail all your hard work - unless you let it. Don't let it.

And keep in mind that you have to be 3500 calories over your maintenance calories to gain a pound. You will likely see an increase on the scale from the sodium and the fact that your body will react to things it isn't used to eating.

As for the 3lbs, if you recently upped your calories it is normal to experience a weight gain at first. It is your body adjusting to getting more calories. Don't worry - it will come back off, but it may take up to a month for your body to adjust and stabilize (and then start losing weight).

Drink lots of water and don't worry. You can do this.
  • EmilyMae12
    EmilyMae12 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I ate around 6000 calories in and hour earlier today, so I understand it. I hope you get through this, you can do it. *big hugs*
  • Aerohead21
    Aerohead21 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way but haven't fallen off the wagon. I am debating on taking a break, but I worry if I have the strength to come back to it. Who knows, maybe we all need a "day off" every now and again, just to wallow and grieve, and then get back on the horse?
  • Hambone23
    Hambone23 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Had a depressive weekend myself and binged today--really, really binged (I couldn't even tell you the calories)--for the first time in a long while. And I feel awful, and it feels awful. And dangit, the depression does complicate it--a lot. Regardless of what people who don't suffer from depression say. However, tomorrow's another day. You'll eat better. I'll eat better. We'll get back on track. And I don't know about you, but I plan to remember how awful my belly is feeling right now. :/ Anyway, don't kick yourself too hard. You admitted it. That's a hard thing to do when a lot of us feel so ashamed of binging. So kudos on you. Start again tomorrow. Give yourself 24 hours to eat well. Just tell yourself you only have to do it for 24 hours, and by the end, I always find I feel better and am back on track. (Your mileage may vary.) :flowerforyou:
  • TanyaCurtis
    TanyaCurtis Posts: 630
    Options
    Dont worry! I just did that yesterday and this morning, pick urself right back up! I believe ur doing Great, no need to give up :)
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing today and really screwed up with my calories. I ate 3684 calories today. Over the past week I gained back 2 pounds. I have since found a new attitude and am going to start fresh and new tomorrow and get this done. Don't beat yourself up too much. I'm going to send you a friend request. I hope you accept it so we can support each other. Together we can do this. :flowerforyou:
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    *Hugs* Tomorrow is a new day. Try not to beat yourself up, it happens just pick yourself up and get back on track. You got this!
  • kaizen31
    kaizen31 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    *hug!* You've lost an incredible amount of weight, and I promise you didn't gain it all back. Don't let keep you down! One binge does not diminish all you have accomplished; it just means you're human, to stumble once in a while. One binge in many moons is not bad at all! <3
  • aftergypsies
    aftergypsies Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Hugs. It's gonna be okay. These things happen to the best of us. Please don't feel bad.
  • monica2434
    monica2434 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to the forum and just thought I would chime in on your post. For one, you should feel AMAZING. You have achieved so much thus far, don't beat yourself up, over 1 day. I believe everyone is entitled to cheat every now and then, and to me I don't even call it cheating. At the end of the day we all just have 1 life, and we have to make the best of it.

Not to get to personal, but some of the best medicine for Depression is interaction, I know as crazy as that sounds. But you have to get outside of the house. Go window shopping with a friend, or just go to the park and vent to a friend face-to-face, I'm telling you letting someone else feel and hear your pain will make you feel better and warrant new ways you can cope with issues.

Hope this helps