Best foods to eat

Options
2»

Replies

• roamingstudent
    Options
    Is porridge the British (or European) version of oatmeal? I've been curious about this for a long time.

It is! Oatmeal is Porridge Oats!

But when they say Oatmeal they could mean raw oats or made into porridge.
  • katherinemm31
    Options

QFT
    [/quote]

I am so lame - I had to google QFT.
    [/quote]I don't understand half the acronyms I read in these forums. Most of them are health trend related, I'm guessing, but some aren't. I also don't get that "bump" thing.
  • cindyputman
    Options
    Eat what you like and don't go for variety till you feel more in control.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

QFT

You're not lame. I am, actually, for knowing what QFT is.

Quick Frozen Tilapia! No? Oh...:drinker:

Seriously, there's no reason to restrict food, like Acg said, if it fits into your nutritional goals and you enjoy it, eat it.
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    It isn't necessarily what you eat but how much of it you choose to eat. I have been on my diet a long time. The only food I have banished is pasta and that is only because even after eating portion controlled amounts I am up a pound next weigh in. I still eat I just log it all and watch portions. I do find whole grains are far more filling than white flour products.
  • roamingstudent
    Options
    Everyone seems to be telling you the same thing, to which I agree. Eat what you want and fit it around your calorie limit.

But, if you are asking for ideas of low calorie foods which you may also enjoy try a quick dip and crudites.

The quick dip is half a can of butter beans blended with a couple of sundried tomatoes, a pinch of (garlic) salt and a squeeze of lemon juice. I LOVE IT. It's a lot less fatty than houmous (But.... I do enjoy homous more... that said I'd rather sub homous for this dip and have a fat slice of lemon meringue pie!). The crudiets can be any veg you like.... carrot sticks, celery, slices of pepper, etc :)

Also, play with lots of soup recipes. Soup is great for filling you up and low calories. And you're sure to find at least ONE soup that you go absolutely GAGA for!!! :) x
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Eat things you like. You can pretty much incorporate anything you like into a diet / calorie deficit.
  • Raina27
    Raina27 Posts: 133
    Options
    I agree!! Everything in moderation!! I for one aint starving myself or eating food I dont like just to lose weight! I eat under my calorie goal, but it is food that I dont mind eating!! Healthy foods dont have to be bland or nasty!! Just wanna also point out that eating only a little bit of food each day will not make you lose weight any faster!! :D
  • marcianil
    marcianil Posts: 16
    Options
    A breakfast that works for me and keeps me satisfied in the morning--one Thomas' Bagel Thin, one fried egg (w/Pam), 2 slices of ham (25 calories each), plus coffee with 1 TB of evaporated milk. 260 calories total. Love the Bagel Thins)
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    For dinner, if I can... I try to balance things out. Like no more than 4 ounces of any lean, grilled meat. That could be sirloin, round steak, ground round, boneless skinless chicken breast ( use tenders because they thaw fast), fish fillets, etc. Then I add 1-2 cups of veggies with whatever seasoning I want on them but no butter. You could add some diet butter but it has almost the same calories as butter unless it's made with water. I then try to add some brown rice or whole wheat pasta made with low sodium broth or even water with herbs added to it. For instance last night I made grilled chicken breast with broccoli and pasta. It's very filling, healthy and I love it. There are a lot of ways to add flavor to your foods without making them high in calories. So to make it easier for you:

MEATS:
    4 ounces only of Lean cuts of beef with all fat removed, chicken breast with no skin and all fat trimmed, fish with NO BREADING, shrimp, deli meat with no added nitrates ( I can only find Hillshire Farms)

VEGETABLES:
    I buy a big bag of precut broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, sometimes asparagus, avocado, sweet potatoes, celery,squash, mushrooms. You can buy just about any kind of plain, frozen vegetables that microwave quickly and don't have added cheese, etc. I also grow my own peppers, onions, tomatoes, potatoes. :)
    STARCH:
    Brown Rice, any kind of WHOLE wheat pasta 2 ounces uncooked

FRUITS:
    We usually make smoothies with frozen fruit, skim milk and no fat plain greek yogurt. Sometimes I will buy bananas, let them get ripe and then freeze them in chunks on a cookie sheet then put them in ziploc bags. The kinds of fruit to put in a smoothie are unlimited. I also eat oranges, apples, grapes, melons, etc. You just have to measure and be careful because some fruits have more sugars than others and they add up quickly.

SNACKS:
    If I'm hungry between meals I will eat 1/8 cup roasted edamame, 3 T. of nuts, sunflower seeds, light string cheese, fat free or low fat yogurt - plain with my own mashed fruit that I add and if I want it sweeter I add Splenda.

The 'new weight watchers cookbook" has a lot of new recipes that I've been trying. Lots of flavor so far.

If you'd like to, add me and I'll try to help you.

Good luck to you!
  • nk17
    nk17 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Agree with the rest. Here are some things that work for me.
    Breakfast Suggestions:
    Quaker Old Fashioned Oats (1/2 c.) and 1/4 c blueberries.
    OR
    1 egg scrambled with 1 baby bel light laughing cow cheese and 1 piece of cheddar (90 cal slice).
    OR
    Eggbeaters and cheese

Lunch Suggestgions:
    Whole Wheat low carb wrap with 1 tablespoon of peanut butter. Add banana if I'm low on carbs.
    Yogurt. Dannon Light & Fit. Diabetic Friendly if you're really restricting carbs. Otherwise, the 80 cal type.
    Del Monte 50 cal Diced Peaches or Mixed Fruits
    Apple
    Pear
    1 c. strawberries
    2 c. salad greens or spinach with 6 oz. grilled chicken
    Atkins or EAS Carb Control Shakes
    Atkins Protein Bars

Dinner:
    4 oz. 93% lean ground beef, no bun, mustard and any veggies you like.
    Salad with Walden's Farm 0-cal dressing
    4 oz. boneless skinless chicken breast
    Zucchini and summer squash sauteed in EVOO.
    Grilled pork tenderloin
    Peas
    Green Beans
    Anything else green

Snacks:
    Almonds, raw, 7 or 15
    50 cal peaches or mixed fruit above
    Baby Bel Light Cheese
    Apple
    Protein Bar if I'm really low on cals.

Hope that helps some.

Unlike one of the previous posters, I try to eat 3 meals with 2 snacks and I try to level out the cals and carbs as much as possible throughout the day. I'm not that successful, but I try.
  • lisabom
    lisabom Posts: 4
    Options
    One of my favorite lunches is tune in water I use the whole 3.5 oz can and mix with mustard instead of mayo. I put it one toasted 45 calorie bread and I have some pringles fat-free chips. 260 calories.
  • lisabom
    lisabom Posts: 4
    Options
    That sounds great I will have to try it.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    It isn't necessarily what you eat but how much of it you choose to eat. I have been on my diet a long time. The only food I have banished is pasta and that is only because even after eating portion controlled amounts I am up a pound next weigh in. I still eat I just log it all and watch portions. I do find whole grains are far more filling than white flour products.

Carbohydrates make you retain more water. The pound that you have gained won't have been fat unless you ate an excess of 3500 calories over maintenance.

Not saying you should eat pasta, just wanted to make it clear that certain foods won't make you gain a pound.
  • MrsGoHard
    MrsGoHard Posts: 150 Member
    Options

QFT

[/quote]I don't understand half the acronyms I read in these forums. Most of them are health trend related, I'm guessing, but some aren't. I also don't get that "bump" thing.
    [/quote]

ha ha... "bump" just means "I'm posting something here to bump the thread to or towards the top."
  • MrsGoHard
    MrsGoHard Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    and I'd agree, there are no special foods unless you have special considerations [heart disease, diabetes, PCOS] and even then "losing" is quite the same formula across the board. At least it's been for me anyway.

Best wishes!