low carb high protein?

Options
Losing slowly with trying to stay at 1200 calories and exercising 1- 2hrs 5 - 6 days ...... eating back the extra not working therefore thinking of low carb and high protein ... anyone else doing this or have had success? HELP! PLEASE...:)

Replies

• 600racer
    600racer Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Im doing light 30 minute weight sessions and eating high protien, 1800 calories and loosing at a slow reasonable rate but im new at working out and eating right.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Try upping your calories, honestly, 1200 is NOT enough to sustain you. Especially if you exercise as long as you do; you're essentially running on nothing. Because of that, your body is holding onto everything you give it and not allowing you to lose weight. Aside from hindering weight loss, eating that little can be dangerous.
  • Fitness4Paul
    Fitness4Paul Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Imagine how much Hugo eats! He's a great guy and eats tons to do what he does. Got to feed your body!
  • mmarlow61
    mmarlow61 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I've been low carbing, high proteining since Oct 11. I'm down 54 lbs!!!
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    have to agree with everyone else. I was doing exactly the same and was in a plateau for over a year. Now, I'm eating at 1650, upped my protein, dropped my carbs (but not no-carb, just cut out the bad carbs) and I'm down 4 pounds in 10 days since starting the new regimen. I am also doing low glycemic index. It's working but I"m eating MORE just making sure they are quality calories and no junk.
  • Murfee61
    Murfee61 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am also on a 1200 calorie a day, low carb and high protein. It is enough for me. I can do this easily with about 45 mins to an hour exercise. I am a vegetarian though so my food choices are usually lower in calories. I never paid much attention to them until I joined MFP. I would eat grilled cheese, pasta, lots of pasta and sauces that were really high in calories. Once I started to log these things the 1200 calories are hard to hit now. I guess it depends on what you eat.
  • schinea72
    Options
    Try tracking your macro-nutrients and set your goals to 40% carbs, 40% protein and 20% fat. Don't eat carbs after 5 pm with the exception of veggies.
  • simonsayzz
    simonsayzz Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've been doing low carbs, 1200 calories, and have lost 44 pounds in 4 months. Some days I eat more carbs....then eat none....then try a day or two at 1000 calorie, then a few at 1400.....I think you hav to mess with your routine or it gets stagnant.
  • tinaruby
    tinaruby Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    have to agree with everyone else. I was doing exactly the same and was in a plateau for over a year. Now, I'm eating at 1650, upped my protein, dropped my carbs (but not no-carb, just cut out the bad carbs) and I'm down 4 pounds in 10 days since starting the new regimen. I am also doing low glycemic index. It's working but I"m eating MORE just making sure they are quality calories and no junk.

Agreed, I still stay at 1200 calories, I do exercise but mostly walking or jogging. If I increase my exercise I would increase my calories, but lower carbs, lower sugar and complex carbs works well for me. :-)
  • MustangCindy67
    MustangCindy67 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thanks...this i probably why I am running on empty after work.... not enough fuel for the exercise I do....am seriuosly trying to figure this out...
  • MustangCindy67
    Options
    do you exercise Simonsayzz ?
  • MustangCindy67
    Options
    Losing slowly with trying to stay at 1200 calories and exercising 1- 2hrs 5 - 6 days ...... eating back the extra not working therefore thinking of low carb and high protein ... anyone else doing this or have had success? HELP! PLEASE...:)

I am sorry but i am just a bit frustrated, exercise is a form of stress on your body, eating low calories is also a form of stress, you're just messing up your body.

Cut down on your exercise, have a moderate deficit 20%... I workout 30-45mins 3 days a week, and i have been losing 3lbs a week...

and yes i do low carb, well CKD, i have one high carb day(free day) .
  • MustangCindy67
    Options
    To all who have offered advice......Thanks for the suggestions, they make sense.
    Yes Hugo is amazing! Enjoyed the Strongman in Warwick last summer.
    I will get it right!
  • carlongo75
    Options
    I started my low carbs diet in January 12 (8 weeks ago) so far I have lost 10 Kilos and I have reduced my BMI from 32% to 26.1%. I basically cut the bad carbs(bread, pasta, etc), sugars, junk food, alcohol and increasing my protein intake. Now I just eat lean meat, chickem fish tuna, salmon with veggies. Is very important that you eat at least 5-6 times per day every 2 to 3 hours to speed up your metabolism. In regards of training I do cardio for 25 min before and after my weight routine and I have one rest day per week.

I do not count calories to be honest, I just measure the meat and the poultry according with the size of my fist and the Carbs (oats, gluten free pasta, the brocoli/coliflower and the brown rice) one small cup.

I hope this can give some ideas and all the best with your training.
  • MustangCindy67
    Options
    Thanks Carlongo....I recently bought a Home Gym to start light weights.... I was thinking weights twicea week and cardio 5 days a week. I am in week 2 of Insanity and am improving on form but have to adjust some exercises.....but with depleted energy after working all day had to switch to less wicked workout twice last week. ...
  • kahulabeth
    Options
    I don't know how you or anyone else on here feels about Protein shakes but if your going to do that much cardio i highly recomend you taking a WPI protein shake after each cardio workout to minimise muscle loss. Being in liquid form it will be easy to digest and will give your body the key ingrediants it needs to repair the muscle without breaking down or burning off your existing muscle to do so. Don't buy into fancy shakes, just find a WPI (Whey Protein Isolate) that tastes ok and mix it with water. eat a solid meal within 90 mins or your workout too.

Also, your body can only store protein for 3 hours at a time before it empties it into your er.. waste.. system so eating frequent meals on this kind of diet is best or you will slow down your metabolism.

My final piece of advice is to do with your training. If you want to maximise your workouts the best way to lose fat is to do a combined weights/cardio session. do a 5 min warm up of cardio. nothing too hard. Then 30 mins of weights. go for heavier weights. 3 sets per exercise or 8 - 12 reps. If you find your doing 8 reps for all 3 sets then your weight is too heavy. If your doing 12 reps for each or your 3 sets then your weight is too light. after 30 mins go back to your cardio for 20 mins of slow cardio. You want to keep your heart rate around 130BPM. this will allow your body to run off fat rather than the food you ate during the day.

I hope this makes sense. feel free to ask me any questions. Good Luck with reaching your goals. :)
  • kahulabeth
    Options
    Low carb does help preserve muscle mass, but you have to do it right, it's still no guarantee. As I said if you watch your diet good, you can get away with less exercise, as i stated i do 30mins 3x a week of resistance training, no cardio... and i am losing 3lbs a week. Cardio takes away your resources to recover and hold on to muscle. Cardio is futile to diet for weight loss.

Cardio isn't futile for diet and weightloss. It's a tool that just has to be used the right way. If your doing intense cardio training for weightloss your likley to burn up your muscle - true but if you use long slow cardio when your have already depleated your anerobic fuel source your body burns fat directly.

Also many people starting a diet/exercise routine find that cardio is the only way they feel comfortable exercising. it's better that they do that and build muscle back later than to discourage them from any kind of training at all. :)
  • MustangCindy67
    Options
    Again thanks all of this will help me to make better choices.... I have to change what I am doing because I am stuck with weightloss and feeling depleted by weekes end.
    Thinking I will do weight 3 days a week with Elliptical on the other 2... keep weekends for fun style exercise.....I like to bike while watching tv so If I go with a lighter resistance I should be ok...... will try to halve my carbs compared to the last month ....still need to know what is max protein for a woman to have each day...
  • olga0630
    olga0630 Posts: 1
    Options
    I am "pro-lowcarb" too. Joined this program just a week ago, and, same results as yours... so, Just changed my goal from 45% to 5% carbs. Low carb worked well for me in the past... Keep a good work!