thigh muscles after strength training

Options
I added body rock workouts to my exercise routine in the first week in Feb. Adding strength training has made me feel stronger and better. I looked down yesterday and noticed a dent in my thigh. I was worried at first then realized i'm pretty sure there are two muscles creating the dent in between them. Is that normal? I thought it would be a solid muscle up and down but i guess there is more than one muscle in there huh,lol. It's a lot more noticeable in my left leg than my right. I eat at a deficit as i am still trying to lose nearly 60lbs. I've read numerous times how you can't build muscle while on a deficit but i think i put on muscle quickly. I wish so many people wouldn't post that info because it seems it's not necessarily true. You don't have to have a surplus to add muscle otherwise mine wouldn't be popping out, right? Also after the first month of measuring, my arms were actually bigger than they were before. The rest had shrunk though. I'm a bit confused now and i don't want to add lots of muscle just strengthen and lean. I do like the legs and my butt has lifted too. If there was a spot on my body i want to grow bigger it's these area's since i'm an apple shape by nature. So i'm not complaining, i'm excited!

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,166 Member
    Options
    If you are obese you can add muscle in a deficit, so can someone who is new to strength training. However, those gains are relatively small. It is just as likely your muscles are showing up more because they are being used and need to store more glycogen thus are holding more water. Still a type of muscle growth I guess. Oh. There are multiple muscles in your thigh.
  • diggly
    diggly Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You're making me really worried! I was believing all the MFP "lift heavy, you will not get big arms that way" and just started with weights!

I've always thought that professional female swimmers have broad shoulders and arms because they have built so much muscles in their shoulders and arms (especially butterfly swimmers). So if we built up so much muscle in our arms by lifting heavy, won't they bulk up??

Waiting to hear an answer from someone!
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Yes, normal:) And way to go!!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    You're making me really worried! I was believing all the MFP "lift heavy, you will not get big arms that way" and just started with weights!

I've always thought that professional female swimmers have broad shoulders and arms because they have built so much muscles in their shoulders and arms (especially butterfly swimmers). So if we built up so much muscle in our arms by lifting heavy, won't they bulk up??

Waiting to hear an answer from someone!

Don't get confused between sheer mass gain and size gain from strength improvement. Expect minor improvements in size but don't think along the lines of bodybuilder mass, there's a difference.
  • suavequeen
    suavequeen Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the muscles! Is that what you were hoping for? I know I want clear definition of all my leg muscles..
  • squared16
    squared16 Posts: 41
    Options
    I always thought female swimmers had broad shoulders because that's an advantaged body type for swimming...
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    I always thought female swimmers had broad shoulders because that's an advantaged body type for swimming...
    this. i played sports in high school and college and honestly those of us who genetically started out with a more athletic build (and broad shoulders) were pretty much the ones who kept coming because it was easier for us to train and compete.i swam, played volleyball and rugby. i did well at rugby because i naturally had strong powerful muscle and could run fast. training just helped bring out my natural abilities more, but they were already there.

i think the bulking up question is so illogical (nothing against the OP, but as someone who's worked out and lifted weights for years i've heard this A LOT). it's like saying that is a guy who's built like a body builder started doing nothing but ballet, he'd somehow transform in his body type in that of an ballet dancer. ridiculous right?
  • leadoff
    leadoff Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I looked down yesterday and noticed a dent in my thigh. I was worried at first then realized i'm pretty sure there are two muscles creating the dent in between them. Is that normal? I thought it would be a solid muscle up and down but i guess there is more than one muscle in there huh,lol.

They're called "quads" for a reason. :)
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    this. i played sports in high school and college and honestly those of us who genetically started out with a more athletic build (and broad shoulders) were pretty much the ones who kept coming because it was easier for us to train and compete.i swam, played volleyball and rugby. i did well at rugby because i naturally had strong powerful muscle and could run fast. training just helped bring out my natural abilities more, but they were already there.

i think the bulking up question is so illogical (nothing against the OP, but as someone who's worked out and lifted weights for years i've heard this A LOT). it's like saying that is a guy who's built like a body builder started doing nothing but ballet, he'd somehow transform in his body type in that of an ballet dancer. ridiculous right?

:heart:
  • ummommyme
    ummommyme Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    good point about the quads;) I just never noticed this sort of thing in any of the pics on here of women strength training. I will have to pay attention more. I suppose that since it's in a picture though i might not be able to see the seperate muscles like i can on me. I'm not sure what i expected but i do like it. I do hope my arms lose inches when i measure again in 3 weeks. I don't like those getting bigger. And i'm not sure what is illogical about what i was asking and pointing out.
  • bcc112986
    bcc112986 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Definitely normal.

You should see how my legs looks. I do martial arts and kickboxing. The muscles you develop is amazing.
  • littlebluej
    littlebluej Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    OP - Don't forget about fat loss. Yes you can build some muscle, but what you are most likely noticing is both muscle tone and fat loss. That's why some people may have a super strong core, but if they have belly fat, they're not going to have a noticeable 6-pack.

Also, for those who are afraid of "bulking up" - females do not have the amount of testosterone that males do. Males can bulk easier than females. The average female who goes to the gym and strength trains isn't going to turn into a She-Hulk just by lifting heavy. Female bodybuilders have a specific diet, training regime, and supplement plan to pack on all of that muscle. Yes, genetics do play a factor. For example, everyone in my family has fairly short, sturdy legs, which makes us good runners/cyclists/soccer players, just like some people have mentioned they are genetically advantaged toward swimming or rugby.