Trader Joe's

Options
So they finally opened one in my state. In a couple of weeks going to take a bit of a road trip to stock up. I know a few of you shop there, what are your favorites? Any suggestions for a first timer?

Replies

• jessiepilot
    Options
    The have these seaweed wasabi snack "chips" (they're just seaweed) that are fantastic! The also have some Super yummy spelt bread there, nut and dried berry snack packs that I take to work that are a great snack, frozen marinated ahi tuna steaks that believe it or not are super yum, a sea salt grinder with flower petals....get one ever time such great flavor, I live on their artichoke antipasto - soooooo good and low calorie, wasabi mayo, and a decent variety of yummy cheeses.
  • theflyingartist
    theflyingartist Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Their trail mixes are outta this world!
    Or you could peruse the trail mix section and buy a couple bags of nuts, dried fruits and seeds and mix your own. I prefer the pre-made ones though.

Their virgin coconut oil is awesome for cooking and baking PLUS it's mad cheap.

Skip the produce, I heard they keep it in the freezer and I have had (on 3 occasions) opened an apple or banana to see it had rotted in the middle. Ding-ding, we have a winner.

Their coffee is a great deal too - fair-trade and organic options for cheap. Grind in a Magic Bullet or their grinder in-store. I also love their vitamins and supplements which most people don't even know exist! So cheap!

I just love Trader Joe's. Been trying to work there for 2 years now :frown:
  • jessiepilot
    Options
    yeah good point about the produce....I never get it from there - we head down to Whole Foods (right down the street from each other where I am) for produce and meats.
  • saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Coffee=awesome
    Wine selection=pretty damn nice if you're a wine fan
    Flowers=cheap and pretty!
    Chocolate=they have a dark chocolate w/dark chocolate cream filling bar for .99 WIN!
    Produce=I make a special trip to go to mine for produce; it's way cheaper and the quality has always been great
    Frozen selections=I've tried some of the frozen veggies mixes and desserts and they're delish
    Vits/Supps=really good selection at great prices

I :heart: me some Trader Joe's!
  • JaclynnGail
    JaclynnGail Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to their fresh horseradish hummus and their fiber fruit and nut medley cereal. They have really good frozen turkey meatballs too...they are dirt cheap and delicious. I love Trader Joe's.
  • fieldsy4life
    Options
    Their nuts and coconut oil are both cheaper than Whole Foods - so that's a plus.

I get my romaine lettuce there for my salads for work - cheaper than Dole or Whole Foods (Ready Pac brand). However, my favorite item has to be the pre-grilled chicken breast strips. They taste like marinated chicken off a charcoal grill. Makes my salads every week!

Before I went gluten-free, I was in love with their turkey meatballs. Best frozen meatballs I've ever tasted.
  • brandimacleod
    brandimacleod Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Here is a great thing to know. Nothing at trader joes that is under the trader joes brand (which is most stuff) has genetically modified food in it. Yay! So, just shop to your heart's content. I love everything there.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    It's all good. I highly recommend the green tea. Other faves are the garlic hummus, general tso's sauce (baste chicken but use sparingly to keep cals down) and their coffee. Trader Joe's After Dark now, and Winter Blend in the fall/winter. The closes Trader Joe's is a 2 hour drive for us, but my husband makes the trek once a month to stock up on stuff.

Oh, and cheese - great prices. I envy those who have a Trader Joe's close!
  • MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I suggest taking your time walking through the store. There are so many awesome, healthy items to choose from. I don't get to Trader Joe's often any more because of my location...but when I lived in Seattle, I was there once a week and it was always a fun adventure.

ENJOY!
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Buy their sesame honey cashews... and mail them to me. (As if I'm not in there buying a new bag once a week already!)
  • Evelyn_22
    Evelyn_22 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I buy everything there. Peanut butter, eggs, cheese, rice, hummus, beans, fruits, veggies, frozen burritos, frozen oat meal (to travel with), steel oats, ceral, milk, soy milk, dark roast coffee, pita bread, bagels, bread, low carb wheat wraps, sour cream, cottage cheese, plain/vanilla organic yogurt, lean ground beef, ground turkey, turkey bacon, chicken sausage, gulitless chips, salsa, Pad-thai, Indian food, (bruchetta, you must get this), a few more frozen meals. Yeah I have tried almost everything they have LOL.
  • Maystar80
    Maystar80 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    The have these seaweed wasabi snack "chips" (they're just seaweed) that are fantastic! The also have some Super yummy spelt bread there, nut and dried berry snack packs that I take to work that are a great snack, frozen marinated ahi tuna steaks that believe it or not are super yum, a sea salt grinder with flower petals....get one ever time such great flavor, I live on their artichoke antipasto - soooooo good and low calorie, wasabi mayo, and a decent variety of yummy cheeses.

mmmm, yeah, the seaweed is basically all i get there. Also I like the wasabi mayonaise, though it's hard for me to find stuff to put it on. And the thai curry sauce, the yellow one, is sooo good and makes all of my chicken better. but I can only use a little cuz it's actually pretty high cal. In fact, the goodness of trader joes isn't really that it's particularly healthier than normal storesl. It does have more organic varieties, but in all honesty, it's not all thaaat great. In fact, I get hella annoyed at trader joes a lot of the time because they often don't have half of the things on my grocery list. but definitely stock up on their unique selections.
  • mmarie111
    Options
    I love Trader Joe's! The frozen veggies and frozen brown rice are great to have on hand, and some of the frozen prepared meals are not too high in calories per serving. Also, I love their nuts, dark chocolate and Rosemary Raisin crisps - they sound weird, but if you like rosemary give them a try.
    For nearly anything prepared watch the sodium per serving size! A lot of their meals have nearly a day's worth. Also, I love their nuts, the dark chocolate and their Rosemary Raisin crisps - they sound weird, but if you like rosemary give them a try.
  • Txnurse97
    Txnurse97 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later as one is being built in my area!
  • timeforachange2011
    Options
    Vanilla Meringues, Chili Lime Chicken Burgers, Greek yogurt, Almond Milk, and the produce is usually awesome! The meat prices aren't terrible either. The freezer section has an awesome selection: shrimp stir fry, egg rolls, chicken burritos. I would go at an "off time" just because the stores tend to be a little small and can be a overwhelming the first time you go. :) Hope this helps!
  • Hambone23
    Hambone23 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    /agreed

Give yourself plenty of time for your first trip and linger and look. They have some great things for great prices. Example, their olive oil and balsamic vinegar are cheaper than the cheap brand at my grocery store and taste better. Simple things like mayo, ketchup, peanut butter have only real ingredients in them--and much cheaper than Whole Foods. So much cheaper. Amazing diversity of breads, too, for cheaper than the crap bread at the grocery store. Frozen veggies, fruits, all good. Depending on the week, 2 lbs of frozen chicken breast there can be cheaper than grocery-store bought. So many varieties of milk alternatives. Vitamins and supplement section that isn't too too crazy. Their trail mixes, yes, are to die for. Great dark chocolate. Go with a decent-sized budget. You'll spend it all. ;} And they're always rotating in new items so there are always new goodies to try! :}
  • mill1295
    mill1295 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Pita chips and garlic hummus.. lentil soup with ancient grains (in the refrigerated section).. they have awesome cheese and crackers.. their nut butters, nuts and dried fruit are a lot cheaper than most places (my mom stocks up when she comes to visit).. they have some good rice mixes (one brown and one white with spices in it).. the re-fried beans with salsa are awesome.. coffee and teas..
  • emhill21
    emhill21 Posts: 130
    Options
    I have found their pizza dough to be the best for making homemade pizza. Also, I love the cilantro and chive yogurt dip. For non-food, their flowers are usually reasonably priced.
  • maf66
    maf66 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    The very best thing about Trader Joe's is if you buy something, and simply don't like it, take the empty box back and they will give you a refund. No questions asked. Actually, I think all you need is the receipt, now that I think about it... I know this from experience, though it only happened once that I didn't like something.

Their indian pouch meals are delicious!
  • MeowserKitty
    Options
    <3 their version of cheerios. Joe's O's.
    Their Confetti Rice is yum.
    Oh! Gorgonzola rice crackers <333