Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

mid run boost snacks

Hi, can anyone reccomend a small easy to carry energy booster, to be taken mid run? I have no knowlegdge of such things (other than water). I wouldn't want anything artificial or things like that. As you can probably guess i really have no idea.

Replies

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    How long are your runs? I use powergel, 1 every 6 miles for runs over 12 miles. I don't really eat anything if its less than that. Tangerine and Strawberry banana taste the best to me. Other people I know like Gu or Clif shots, its really a personal preference. There are also sports beans or chews if the gel isn't your thing.
  • laurapgmartinez
    laurapgmartinez Posts: 46 Member
    I use Sport Beans (made by Jelly Belly) for my long runs.
  • muzmacol
    muzmacol Posts: 358 Member
    How long are your runs? I use powergel, 1 every 6 miles for runs over 12 miles. I don't really eat anything if its less than that. Tangerine and Strawberry banana taste the best to me. Other people I know like Gu or Clif shots, its really a personal preference. There are also sports beans or chews if the gel isn't your thing.

Hi and thanks, up to 8 miles currently feel like a boost sometimes.
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    The Honey Stinger products are more natural. I like the waffles they make. They fit in my running belt. I eat half and then the other half of it during my longer runs.
  • muzmacol
    The Honey Stinger products are more natural. I like the waffles they make. They fit in my running belt. I eat half and then the other half of it during my longer runs.

thanks for that!
  • muzmacol
    I use Sport Beans (made by Jelly Belly) for my long runs.

How weird, but thanks i've looked them up and they seem popular.
  • Try Shot Bloks by Clif. DEFINITELY worth it! :) Good luck!
  • leadoff
    leadoff Posts: 136 Member
    I've done the Gu Gels and the Accel Gels. Gu gel is pretty sticky and viscous...definitely recommend having some water to help it on down! The Accel Gel is more of a slimy texture and easier to down without water. Sounds appetizing, doesn't it? LOL!

I also like my gel to have a little caffeine in it for an added boost. :)
  • MrsLeibas
    MrsLeibas Posts: 43 Member
    I like the Gu gels ... most of them are pretty tasty and they fit in my belt which also hold water, in case you don't like the sticky or sweet taste they leave behind. I find them perfect for a little boost or for when my blood sugar drops which is always a concern for me since I'm diabetic.
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    I don't know if this works for runs, but for cycling, raisins are recommended. I have NOT tested this. My husband rides and I am just beginning. I read it in his cycling magazine.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    I've tried a number of alternatives to gels and specific sports snacks. Here's my thoughts
    - regular jelly beans (glucose ones from the chemist) are pretty good.
    - dried fruit or nuts. Sultanas and cashews work well.
    - fruit squares (you know, the sugary little squared usually made from apricot or berries. They're pretty high in added sugar, though at least there is a bit more nutrition there than jelly beans. I made a home made version with dried apricots, ground almonds, powdered milk and a few other things but they were too yummy to last for long so I haven't made them again!
    - chocolate covered coffee beans - they were a winner because they're chocolate and caffeine together, but were a bit dry and crunchy, I had to have lots of water to wash them down.
    - chocolate covered pretzels - a bit too dry and crunchy and they melted in the heat.

I only use them if I'm running for well over an hour - for an hour or under I just take water.
  • sallyjmad
    sallyjmad Posts: 10 Member
    I don't eat during a run but sometimes need a boost afterwards and I love these:
    http://gimmesomeoven.com/no-bake-energy-bites/

I changed the recipe a bit though and did 1 1/2 C. of oatmeal 1/4 C. chocolate chips 1/4 C. dried cherries 1/2 C. Peanut Butter 1/3 C. Honey 1 Cup of Wheat Germ 1 tsp. vanilla

I figured them to be about 100-115 calories per "bite"