on verge of quitting

Options
I am feeling really down at the mo. Stressed with work and home and on top of that I am organising a festival and I feel completely lost. I really need time out but because I am paying the mortgage on my own and I'm self employed , I literally can't afford it. It feels like everyone wants a piece of me, but that no one really cares about me.
On top of that I'm failing and flailing with my diet! I've been trying really hard but the weight is barely shifting. I literally have no energy when I get home from work, so exercise seems like a mountain. So it all feels pointless. Plus I have to try and look after the house too.
So i have nothing left in me to keep trying with the diet, even though I feel so utterly disgustingly fat.
I don't know what to do

Replies

• MermaidFaith
    MermaidFaith Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    my advice is for you to suck it up and realize that you can do anything, you just have to make yourself do it. There will always be SOMETHING going on that you can use as an excuse, the challenge is getting past that. good luck.
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Don't quit! Make yourself do it!! If you quit, you're going to look back in a year and be sad that you did quit! Just keep on trucking! Just think of how good you'll look when you reach your goal! You can do it!

No one can make you lose weight except for you. Do you want to keep feeling terrible about being overweight or do you want to make a change? You have only two choices.
  • michmill98
    Options
    It sounds like you are definately under a lot of stress right now. Can you get some help with the festival? How about getting up a few minutes earlier and doing some exercise then instead of waiting until you get home? I know I do better about exercising if I get up and do it first thing in the morning vs thinking that I'll do it when I get home! This way it's out of the way and if I do end up working late, I don't have to worry about finding the energy/time to exercise when I get home plus take care of the house.

I say stick with it - even if it is baby steps. I keep reminding myself that I didn't put on the weight in two months so I shouldn't expect it to come off in two months!
  • harkis
    harkis Posts: 14
    Options
    Remember how good you feel after exercising and try to remind yourself that's it's already over, you just had yet to realize it. If you feel terrible just try to fake yourself out. Fake it till you make it, and you most definitely will.
  • nilleah
    nilleah Posts: 177
    Options
    Just remember that each day is a new day to decide how you want to live. If you mess up, don't beat yourself up about it. Just take it for what it was and move on. The next meal can be better than the last.

When people are constantly trying to take and take from you, don't feel bad when you have to tell them you can't. You MUST take time for yourself to relax and decompress.

I know how you feel, trust me. I have a husband who is stick think and a 3 year old that I have to feed and take care of on top of work and going to college. I feel your pain. It's extremely difficult to stay focused on dieting when you have a million other things going on. Especially when you have a spouse and child who are NOT dieting in the home that you have to prepare meals for.

Make sure you take time for you and plan! Plan your meals. That will help immensely!
  • Never2Bz
    Never2Bz Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear you are struggling so much. For health reasons quitting should be 'off the table', so don't try to juggle everything. Get some items organized in your life... your closet... drawers... handbag... car interior... refrigerator... those things reflect the organization of your life (in my opinion). Have a plan for what day to clean house, what day to pay bills, etc. Maybe put it on a list or on a calendar. That will whittle some off the stress. Deal with one day at a time or one hour at a time. I was under stress with work, moving, family, weight, and so on until my hairline showed signs of thinning hair!

When you start seeing the little things get organized it'll give you inspiration to get bigger things organized. Set a date to weigh in each week, set a calorie goal for each day, set a day you want to be one size smaller.... goals always have you aiming for something...

Remember to keep sharing with others. Your MFP community can help! Good job reaching out! And Good Luck!
  • LisaH1231
    LisaH1231 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I think everyone has shared good advice and I agree. If you quit now you will look back and say what if...what if I did not quit. You will regret it. Trust me I have been there time and time again. Just logging in and posting your food no matter how well you do that day is a start. Take baby steps.

Don't quit.
  • almst50
    almst50 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you have an OA (Overeaters Anonymous) near you, GO to it!! It's a wonderful program full of support from people just like you - and they CARE about YOU! It will help you face life with peace and sanity and good food will keep its rightful place.
  • Ange_
    Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Don't quit.
    It sounds like you have a lot going on right now, including some things that are out of your control.
    But how you eat and exercise IS in your hands. you'll feel better about yourself and life in general if you achieve in this area of your life, and then probably all the other areas will then fall into place too :)
    But if you can do something proactive to change the amount of stress in your life then do it. Maybe you need to change jobs or something? Being self-employed can really suck. Or ask for help from others.
  • kristensuz
    kristensuz Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yes, its always a struggle. But that is why I pick little goals to strive for. Remember weight loss is not necessarily low weight but less fat! My sister is exactly the shape I want to be. She is a gorgeous size 2....she weighs 130lbs. Its all muscle. Stay on the path and remember that set backs are normal. You can do this...you really can and we will be here to support you!
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Do not quit! You have no idea how lucky you are! Firstly, you have to LOVE YOURSELF FIRST and worry about others after that., secondly, THE MORE YOU EXERCISE THE MORE ENERGY YOU HAVE AND THE LESS STRESSED. This is medically proven. Listen, I care about people and that includes you. Coming on here to have people feel sorry for you solves nothing. I have a job, I do tons of things.3 different shift times sometimes all three the same week. I find the time!
    YOU NEED TO PUT YOURSELF FIRST. Hey, we could have been born in a third world country. No food, no money, nothing. I am not rich either. Bills? Plenty! I also have plenty of streets, roads, stairs to exercise on. All free of charge! Lift milk containers for weight if u have to!
    I BELIEVE IN YOU! NOW GET OFF YOUR BUTT AND BELIEVE IN YOURSELF!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Sticking with it will make you feel better. If we can do it, so can you. We're not so special.
  • KenDubya74
    KenDubya74 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Never quit...erase that from your vocabulary. The only advice I can give is suck it up, take all the stress, frustration, and negativity the world is throwing at you and unleash it all in your exercise. I tend to do it when I work out and it works well for me.
  • Loislaine61
    Options
    I encourage you not to quit. I obviously don't know your lifestyle, but may I make a suggestion? Can you carve out an hour some day just for you. Make an appointment for a massage. (no kidding!) Let them pamper you. Totally relax and let your mind drift away and let go of that stress. If this is not possible perhaps you can find 15 minutes or so to just sit quietly with your eyes closed and force yourself not to think about all you have to do. Make yourself relax.

It sounds to me like you just need to recharge your batteries. You need some "me" time. Just tell everyone you're in a time out and you can't come out and play right now. Your physical and mental health is at stake and you need to take care of YOU.

Please don't quit.
  • dmchiz
    dmchiz Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    great advice here! I would add that many of the things you are dealing with may be out of your control, but one thing that is within your control, is how you eat, and whether you get up in the mornings and spend 20-30 mins exercising to start your day off right!!! You will feel better both physically and mentally in a week. You will have more energy every day to get those other things done on your list if you start the day with even a 20 min. jog or brisk walk (whatever your fitness level will allow). Once you feel in control of this portion of your life, it will be one less thing to stress about! Just don't quit - look at all the support that is here, just a click away! Good luck to you!
  • okurerusakura
    Options
    When things start feeling like they are spiraling out of control in my life, I remind myself that my body is the ONLY thing I have complete control of. I stay off the scale and just focus on eating well and getting in what exercise I can. I even keep track of calories burnt while doing things like cleaning (it is under the cardio options in the exercise data base)! It's one less thing to stress about, and we all know how bad stress is for weight loss! I hope things calm down for you, and that you don't give up!
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I so want to give you a hug right now, you seem to really need one! Someone suggested help, most festivals have a committee. You should delegate, delegate and delegate. Let the house go for a little while. Unfortunetly the chores will still be there when you are ready and honestly they may not seem that huge after a small work out. You will be so energized! Take a deep breath and jump in!

(((((big hug))))) :flowerforyou:
  • rjo921
    rjo921 Posts: 130
    Options
    Please don't quit....I know that things are stressful....that things seem like they are not going to get better...and I know it is very easy for me to say those things because I am not in your shoes....but please, please do not give up....don't give up on yourself. That's why there is this message board....so you can seek support and help when you need it. Please, don't give up....you can do this. :smile:
  • becca2222
    Options
    I can relate to you. In fact, I'm pretty sure most of us can relate in some way; the problem is that if you give up on your diet, you will STILL have all the other things going on, PLUS your weight problem. I agree with several of the other people who are telling you DO NOT GIVE UP, NO MATTER WHAT, because at the end of the day...YOU ARE SO WORTH THE EFFORT.

This weight loss journey that we are all on is just that; a journey, and it will at times, have mountains that seem to tall to climb, but that's where you (and all the rest of us) have to dig in deep, and just take one step at a time, even if it's baby steps.....

Comfort yourself with something you love besides food; maybe music or reading or anything that will give you a boost; just DO NOT GIVE UP.

Best wishes to you and don't forget that we are all here for you. :flowerforyou:

Becca
  • samb330
    samb330 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    (((HUGS))) don't give up. Take a few minutes everyday to just sit for 5 min and relax. Try to clear your mind, and relax your body. Take a 10 min walk and just relax. You'll feel better. We are here for you.