Who loves Pizza!!

Options
Alright, we all know SuperBowl Sunday...whooo whooo! Let's hear it for the Patriots! Ok that being said..I know we will be having pizza..so I need some healthy tips!

Replies

• opatt23
    Options
    Alright, we all know SuperBowl Sunday...whooo whooo! Let's hear it for the Patriots! Ok that being said..I know we will be having pizza..so I need some healthy tips!
  • melathon
    melathon Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I love pizza! (Hey, you asked!) :smile:
    Seriously - some basic tips for pizza: stick to veggie toppings and skip the extra cheese! That'll save you tons of fat and calories. You could even ask for light cheese (or no cheese - it's not that bad as long as you have yummy toppings).
    Thin crust is always better than deep dish or pan, also. (Unfortunately, my favorite is deep dish).

Depending on how much you're planning on eating, you may want to add an extra workout, or jump rope during commercials, or something like that. A good workout can burn off a slice. (Isn't that depressing?)

Also on the topic of pizza - has anyone checked out the nutritional info on the deep dish pizza from Unos Chicago Grill (used to be Pizzeria Uno)? Oh, my!! I had an individual veggie the other night and thought I was being "good." Turns out there are 3 SERVINGS in one of those puppies. Almost 1700 calories.

Anyway, good luck!

PS I'm an Indianapolis Colts fan. :sad:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    Buy your own pizza for the best calorie savings.

Melathon is right on the thin crust and low cheese - lots of veggies and easy on the meat.

Amy's makes a margarita pizza that is awesome! A whole pizza has about 750 calories - I usually eat about 1/2. There are also individual serving pizzas that they make.

Kashi makes pizzas too.
  • rsgriffin1575
    Options
    We are having a big party also. We had a big party for the playoffs and these are some of the things that worked for us:
    1. Plan a menu with lots of good, low-cal snacks. Veggies with a yogurt dip, baked pita triangles and homemade hummus(it was AMAZING), chicken Little Smokies, fruit with lowfat whipped topping.....
    2. Put the low-cal food on one table and the other stuff on another table. Put the two tables as far apart as possible to reduce the temptation to grab something as you walk by.
    3. If you want a piece of pizza, or maybe a drink, go ahead! Just limit what you have and count it into your daily calories.
  • StartingNew
    Options
    GO PATS!~!:drinker: :bigsmile:
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I make my own pizza when I have it, so I KNOW what goes in it.
    If I am time pressed, I use Roll out Pie Dough, or bread dough. But normally I make whole wheat dough, roll it out and make a double crust pizza pie. With Tomatoe sauce and a bunch of veggies and chicken, or lean ham. or turkey instead of beef. :smile:
    This cuts the greese that I find on pizzas from delivery places. :sick:
    --Diann...
  • workingoutmom
    Options
    Kashi makes some really good frozen pizzas and they aren't THAT bad for you. Try taking large drinks of water in between bites, it will fill you up faster and you won't eat as much.

I am a Bucs fan so I will watch for fun but my heart probably won't really be in it.

---Andrea
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    YES GO PATS!!!!!:happy:

We're watching at home so no bad temptations if I can help it.....dh can eat anything he likes but I still like it to be healthy, so we'll have plenty of veggies and local dips and I know he'll want pizza so I think I'll make some homemade....that way I can make it the way we like it....his with the works and mine w/ veggies, like spinach, broccoli, mushrooms, garlic...mmm and lofat cheese! (for us both shhhh! lol)

Diann I have a question about the wheat dough....I'd like to try it and does it have the same texture?

anyway good advice...and GO Pats!
    lol
    hugs,
    Ali
  • rem1979
    rem1979 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Try Weight Watchers Smart Ones Pizza. It is actually VERY good and crispy out of the microwave. Maybe not something you would serve to everyone but it would be better for you and you would still be able to eat pizza!!!
  • wainey48
    wainey48 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    lol i just had some last night and this morning and i am kicking myself in the butt
  • Marvyl
    Options
    Looks like homemade pizza's the way to go, then you can control the toppings. Don't forget about skim milk mozzerella cheese - tastes good with way less calories. I shred it fine so it looks like more! You can also slice english muffins in half, toast them and make mini low-fat individual serving "pizzas".
  • rseman
    rseman Posts: 50
    Options
    GO GIANTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Although I am a Jet fan.........I am clearly jaded against the Pats. Hopefully, the Pats can play this game without cheating :tongue:
  • opatt23
    Options
    Ya'll rock..thanks for all the suggestions. Looks like I'll be trying to make my own pizza...lol..that's a laugh all in it's own. :laugh:

I'll have to let you know how it goes. :drinker:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I just "bumped" my recipe for five-minute whole wheat pizza crust. Very easy, and so good.

More filling that refined-flour pizza, too.:flowerforyou:
  • charny164
    charny164 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Ever tried making pizza on a soft tortilla? Its good! Better than buying a crust plus you can choose the type of tortilla you want (whole wheat, white, flavored)! add some tomatoes and some chicken with a sprinkle of cheese (you pick the kind) it really bakes well. you can fold it or roll it after you've baked it in the oven. It is soooo low in cals plus you get the pizza fix. put some hot sauce or spices on it for some kick!

Charlene

PS not a football fan. Just like the snacks!
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    You could have White Pizza, no sauce or cheese. I like it with tomato, spinach and garlic. If you want to splurge you can add feta cheese. Although, that just seems a little too fancy for a superbowl party. I say just enjoy and get back on track tomorrow.
  • flachix
    flachix Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Josephs makes a thin pita, that can be made crisp, put some goodies on top. the pita is only 60 calories, the rest is up to you.

or try a pizza wrap. using a ww wrap or flat bread (lite ones are available 90 cals) lay out your sauce, and fillings roll up tight, wrap in tin foil, bake for a few minutes, then cool and slice into rings. you have 8-10 beautiful little pinwheels of pizza, and you can nosh on them a bit at a time, between veggies!!
  • opatt23
    Options
    Ya'll rock! Im definitely doing the tortilla pizza....I can have about 3 of those things! YES! Thanks ya'll:love: