Vitamin D. Odds are, you need more.

Options
sweet110
sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
I just feel called to put out a littler Public Service Announcement about Vitamin D deficiency. Because, I have it.

The past 6 months, I had been struggling with unremitting fatigue. I tweaked my diet, but I was *so* tired, it was hard to move, let alone exercise. And normally, exercise is the gift that keeps on giving...the more energy you expend, seemingly, the more energetic you feel. But after I would try to exercise, I would fall into a "coma nap," probably undoing the benefit of any calories I had burned. Not only couldn't I lose any weight, I was *gaining* weight...packing on the pounds, faster and faster.

Fatigue is one of those non-specific systems that could mean *anything.* So I googled and worried, and worried and googled, self-diagnosing myself with everything under the sun. But then I finally went to get some lab work done. The result? Anemia, but also...my vitamin D level was 7. The absolute *bottom* of normal is 20 ng/ml, with the lowest *good* value beginning at 50 (number may vary if the lab uses SI units). Other symptoms of vitamin D deficiency? Headaches. Insomnia. Depression. Difficulty losing weight. And, get this: obese folks have lower serum Vitamin D levels because fat cells soak up vitamin D from the blood stream. Weird, huh?

I have been taking high doses of vitamin D (as prescribed) for 4 weeks now. And today, I spontaneously went for an hour long walk. I haven't felt this energetic in 7 or 8 months. Supplementing with 1 vitamin has made all the difference for me.

Now, obviously I knew that vitamins and minerals were important. But who *knew* that 1 vitamin could be *this* important? Most of you probably aren't as deficient as I was, but, apparently, a high proportion of people living away from the equator could use more (according to mainstream medicine, not quackery :wink:). So, get some sun and supplement!

Replies

• WishComeTru
    WishComeTru Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hello! I have also been suffering from extreme tiredness / exhaustion without much explanation. I went to the doctor and just found out about a week ago that I am also Vitamin D deficient (not sure of the level). She was running standard bloodwork and decided to check this since it can affect weight loss. It was confirmed that my leverls. The doctor advised that I take 1500 units per day of vitamin D. I am hoping that this gives me my energy back and helps me conquer this weight loss battle. How much do you have to take? Have you seen a change in weight loss?
  • sweet110
    Options
    Hi there! My doc prescribed 50,000 units per week. For 8 weeks. That's not a typo. 50,000 units, once a week (apparently, since your body can store vitamin D for later use, its not uncommon to prescribe high weekly doses instead of daily doses.) And, I googled it...what my doc prescribed is standard practice for someone with my low of a level. Then, after 8 weeks, I can do a *normal* amount of supplementation.

And, after 4 weeks, I *have* started to see a difference. Its actually amazing. My energy has noticeably increased, and I have finally (finally!) started to see some weight loss, after months of struggling just to maintain.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Yes, I take 50,000 IU per day also and accompanied by visits to the tanning bed as this is the only way to get my Vitamin D to raise.

I am just starting to feel better.

Mine was so low that I had heart palpitations and such. It was awful
  • clareplease
    clareplease Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Sounds pretty dire! Very sensible to have a blood test if you're unusually and persistently run down. But I wouldn't take a supplement if don't know what's causing the fatigue. My own Vitamin D is fine -- check it out with a doc first!
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D deficiency is predicted to be the next national epidemic. I too have it.
  • MeechoXD
    MeechoXD Posts: 27
    Options
    I too suffered from low vitamin D levels. My level was a 13, though. I am unsure as to why my doctor didn't give me a high dose to take, since he wanted me to take 2000 IU a day. It was a very slow and agonizing process, since I didn't start to feel better for 6 months. He upped it to 4000 IU a day a few months ago in hopes that my numbers would be higher than they were (when he checked after a few months it was only 25. Better than 13, but still only halfway to a happy level of 50). I am awaiting my new blood levels after taking 4000 for a few months. After a lot of research, I am convinced that we need MUCH more than the lousy daily recommended dose of 600 IU.

I am also starting to feel better now. I am still tired almost all the time, but it is nowhere near it used to be. I could barely function at a 13. I cried all the time and just thinking about how tired I was would make me tear up. I was extremely emotional all the time and I was rarely happy. I also started to have pain in my legs (not a good sign). I cannot imagine how much more painful living would be at a 7!

Let's spread the good word of Vitamin D! It needs a lot more recognition than it has had for the past several years. Everyone get your levels tested! It can change your life (and possibly help you lose weight!)!
  • sweet110
    Options
    Sounds pretty dire! Very sensible to have a blood test if you're unusually and persistently run down. But I wouldn't take a supplement if don't know what's causing the fatigue. My own Vitamin D is fine -- check it out with a doc first!

You certainly CAN take too much Vitamin D, so I wouldn't recommend willy nilly taking high doses. (although vitamin D is probably the one vitamin where the evidence suggests that "normal" levels of supplementation has a positive impact on health.) But I might suggest that everyone get tested at their annual exams, even if you don't feel fatigued. The evidence suggests that very few of us living away from the equator are getting optimal amounts. Even in sunny regions of the US. We just spend way too much time indoors. And although I felt horrible, many people don't report symptoms (and a low level is bad for you, even if you feel fine!)

The poster who said its the "new epidemic" is right on the money.
  • SalishSea
    SalishSea Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Very informative for those who aren't aware of the need for Vit D. I understand it actually is a hormone in our body and this hormone level can run low when sunlight on the skin is minimal.

I had the same symptoms. Headaches, fatigue, slovenly, couldn't lose weight, was always craving some bad food. I live in the rainy but beautiful Salish Sea of the Pacific Northwest Islands. Many months ago I discovered Vit D and it's wonders. My levels were tragically low. I feel so much better. I feel like the sunshine vitamin made me sunny again!

Most well read doctors are prescribing 50,000IU a week. It is possible to take too much. Find out your level than take what now seems to be the standard dose.

Also a conundrum I've heard....sunscreen lessens the absorption of Vit D. So do we wear sunscreen or not? Well we've survived so far!
  • SalishSea
    SalishSea Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    One more thing that I have read...it is absorbed in fat, by fat. So it is recommended to take with a little fat. I take mine with my ritual morning coffee with real heavy cream. My one indulgence I don't want to get rid of. Ever.

It can probably be taken with full fat cheese, just a nibble. Or a piece of dry salami, it has fat. Or maybe with fish oil tablets?

If you try Vit D. Let us know if it made a difference for you.
  • thelassiemickyjames
    Options
    I'm bad, I go tanning, but I live in the PNW where it rains 9 months of the year and everyone is severely defficient in D.. and man getting in the tanning bed definitely improves not only my energy level but my mood as well.
  • sweet110
    Options
    I'm bad, I go tanning, but I live in the PNW where it rains 9 months of the year and everyone is severely defficient in D.. and man getting in the tanning bed definitely improves not only my energy level but my mood as well.

Well...you already know its bad for you, so I'm not going to chastise you! :wink: We all have our poisons. But for any unsuspecting readers out there...tanning beds are probably not your best option. Or rather, I should say, you don't *need* to go to a tanning bed to solve the problem. Supplementation works *just* fine and doesn't have the negative side effects that regular tanning bed use does. (I don't remember why, but tanning beds are worse for you than regular sunlight...something about a different proportion of UV ray types...)
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options

I agree with this. I went in for a bevy of testing last year (thyroid,vitamin levels, and more) and everything came back totally clean and clear, with all of my vitamin levels, including D, well above average.

So even if you are having these symptoms (similar symptoms is why I underwent all of the testing) definitely make sure that you get tested before you start supplementing.
  • zoedallas
    zoedallas Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Some tips on getting vitamin D from the sun:

1. Check out your local UV Index from a site like Intellicast.com. How much vitamin D you get is dependant upon the time of day and season. Just because it's still sunny out and you can get a tan, does NOT mean you are also getting vitamin D.

2. Learn your sun tolerance - you don't want to get burned. Go out in the sun for the time you think appropriate and then put on sunscreen if needed. Sunscreen will block vitamin D.

3. Some doctors believe that taking a shower will wash off the vitamin D. So if you have to shower after sunbathing, only use soap on those areas that need it.

If you want to take supplements, the recommend type is oil based. The tablet forms are unreliable.

Get tested. Start your therapy, then get tested again a couple months later. You don't know if you are taking the correct amount unless you are tested and retested. Not everyone responds the same.

My personal story with vitamin D:

The first year I wanted to see what "natural" levels were. I didn't know who to trust. So I watched the UV Index and tried to get at least 20 minutes per day. That was so much harder than I expected. At the end of summer I was tested at 53. So I trust the reports that say you should be 50+.

The next year I was out in the sun quite often, but made no special effort to check the UV index or get in a daily amount. I took 1600 units of vitamin D supplements per day in tablet form and figured that would cover me. At the end of summer I tested again. My levels had dropped to 42.

I'm taking the oil variety now but haven't been tested yet to see if they are any better as claimed. But I'm convinced that sun is the way to go if at all possible. You can get so much more naturally than you can from a pill. Unfortunately, it's not near as easy as they would have you believe.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Please go outside, people.
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options

yes, my thoughts too...I understand some people have a problem where their bodies don't make enough of it even in sunlight....but unless you can't make it or a medicine is keeping your levels low...Go step outside without sunscreen.
    If you're fair skinned you only need about 10 minutes in the sun...up to 30 for darker skins. That's not much...take a walk without putting sunscreen on at lunch or in the morning. If you're that worried about UV exposure from 10-15 min of sun time load up on anti-oxidents (berries, green teas, red wine...i think even dark chocolate?)
    I get a kind of seasonal depression...I grew up in New England, winters and rainy days are rough, but my vit D levels are good.
    And btw you can overdose on supplements of vit D, but your body will never make more than it needs. Since vit D is an oil disolved vitamin it can stick around for a while and cause side effects.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    A hairdresser I only saw one time discovered mine! She didn't say that is what it wAs but she suggested from the look of my hair that I visit a doctor. My hair was tattling on me thankfully! I had a series of very vague symptoms over the previous few years but I rarely complained about them more than once or twice because they were attributable to stress or just about anything. But my hair felt like fake Barbie doll hair. It was unreal. It has been a year since I have successfully been in the clear and I'm still nursing my hair. From my list of symptoms, the doctor was actually considering other diagnoses but the bloodwork ended up revealing this gem. I do spend a lot of time indoors but what was ironic is articles suggest all it takes is 15 minutes a day in the sun. I was easily getting that by supervising recess! Apparently I need a little more than that. Now I live on a subtropical island and my vitamin D shot up the last time I had it checked. In these "winter" months when the tide is low, I'm finding myself staying indoors more. Thanks for the reminder!

Also check and read about the different kinds of Vitamin D supplements before taking any.
  • hellolouisey
    Options

Agreed!
  • psychopiglet
    psychopiglet Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Tanning beds DO NOT always help with Vitamin D!

UVA Rays: Deep-penetrating rays that cause premature aging, skin cancer and all the other nasty stuff deep down under the skin.

UVB Rays: Damage the surface only and are responsible for Sunburn. More importantly, UVB Rays are the ones that help with Vitamin D.

Now we know that; Most Sunbeds emit 95% UVA and only 5% UVB (Not as bad as it looks, it's about the same as natural sunlight!) BUT that 95% UVA is TWELVE TIMES stronger than the UVA we get from the sun.

So PLEASE if you want your Vitamin D from UVB rays, get it by going outside instead of risking your life (and wasting your money) a sunbed.

[EDIT] OR if you know a tanning place that uses mostly UVB rays, if those even exist, that would be a far safer option than the regular death-machine types.
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I have suffered with chronic Vit D deficiency since not long after I moved to the UK (the land of no sunlight :laugh: ).

Fatigue, depression, malaise... I knew I wanted to snap out of my funk and after years of misdiagnosis we bullied the dr into testing for Vit D deficiency, and waddaya know!!! Now one regular high doses after my initial massive doses and the difference is phenomenal. OP - well done for raising the profile!!!
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    A hairdresser I only saw one time discovered mine!

I'd hold on to her! She sounds like a guru, and good hairdressers are hard to find.