hot yoga

Options
Anyone know what hot yoga is? Does this qualify as exercise?

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Hot Yoga has a lot of definitions. Generally it is defined as Bikram Yoga, where they crank the room up to 103 degrees or something like that.

I do a Vinyasa/Hatha Flow Yoga class on Sunday mornings where they crank the heat up.. and I most def. count it as exercise.
  • Suewiz01
    Suewiz01 Posts: 2
    Options
    Bikram Yoga is a system of yoga that Bikram Choudhury synthesized from traditional hatha yoga[1] techniques and popularized beginning in the early 1970s.[2][3] Bikram's classes run exactly 90 minutes and consist of a set series of 26 postures and 2 breathing exercises. Bikram Yoga is ideally practiced in a room heated to 105°F (≈ 40.6°C) with a humidity of 40%,[citation needed] and is the most popular form of hot yoga (a series of yoga poses done in a heated room)

I practice yoga but complain when she raises the temp to 75 - grin. Any yoga will be of benefit in my opinion.
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I do Bikram yoga!!! it is AMAZING. Although, I don't use it as a weight loss tool... I use it as a way to relieve muscle soreness from other activities. Just a tool in my toolbelt of cardio and strength training. Although it DOES burn significantly more calories than regular yoga.
  • Warmbloodwear
    Warmbloodwear Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Love bikram!!! Just did it for the first time and it was so invirgorating (sp) such an experience:wink:
  • clot77
    clot77 Posts: 2
    Options
    I wasn't a big fan of it but I'd call it a workout, you sure do sweat.
  • Tzippy7
    Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    honestly this is judgmental and mean BUT I like to look at my yoga teachers and see how their bodies look. Maybe this is just my own experience but my Hot yoga vinyassa flow teachers are in amazing shape and the Bikrim teachers I have had dont look quite as athletic. But yes, hot yoga is a great form of exercise but maybe dont depend on it alone to help you lose weight, although that does work for some people.

this is what im talking about btw:

http://www.northamptonyoga.net/gallery.htm its worth looking through the pictures, i use it for inspiration