The NEW FAD Diet Craze

Options
When people find out how much weight I've lost, I'm always asked. How did you do it? And they ask it with such hunger in their eyes. Tell me your secret.

I always shrug and say, "It's no big secret. I watch what I eat and I exercise more."

The hungry eyes turn to disappointment. "Oh... I guess that makes sense... " and I am dismissed.

I guess they're still hoping for the great quick fix, that super pill or elixir that will melt the weight off their bodies and tone their muscles for good measure. I used to be them. I was so focused on my goal weight and how far away it was... that it tired me out just thinking about it. I would have sold my soul for that great quick fix.

I'm 35 pounds from being half my starting weight. And honestly, I'm not as concerned about my weight now as when I started. I'm more driven to do things at 40 - that I never could before. And there's a certain amount of pride, looking back at where I started, where I am, and where I'm going that no quick fix could ever give me.

I didn't know it or expect it, but working out my physical body also ended up healing and strengthening my inner self. I'm glad there was no quick fix for me. I am better for it.

Replies

• xlolitabandita
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss, You've lost a lot and I know it wasn't easy! People often ask me the same questions when they've noticed I look slimmer and my answer is always the same as yours. I think as American that my culture is way too into instant gratification. People want to lose weight and look better, but so many people don't want to do the work that comes with that. If that weren't true there wouldn't be so many silly diet pills on the market. Besides, the confidence I've gained from losing by working for it is better than looking good any day.
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I always like it when they ask if I eat nothing but salads and I tell them that I really do not even eat salads and they almost fall over from shock!
  • biged335
    biged335 Posts: 734
    Options
    Congrats on the accomplishment!! People ask me how I did it all the time too. I tell them, "the old fashion way. Diet and exercise." I get that same look you do. It's almost funny, now. There's know quick fix and the journey is what makes getting healthy worth it.
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Excellent post and Excellent results you've achieved!

If I lost a pound for every stupid diet I've tried ... I'd be at goal! :laugh:
    Unfortunately, the quick fixes don't fix anything.

This time, I'm taking my time and I will finally succeed.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Wow! You are doing great.

Yeah, I think the reason people act so disappointed is they want a name... give me a name and I'll go buy it. Then, I can be successful just like you. The problem is; they have no idea of what "eating healthy" means (or how to do it), so they just sort of drift off....
  • nicholettebell
    Options
    I love it when people ask me how I've lost the weight. I usually build it up by saying, "Oh my gosh... I found the sure thing! The diet to end all diets. I've had such success with it... it's almost fool proof. I swear this will blow your mind...." on and on until they are just so excited because I seem to have the answer. They can't take it anymore and say, "How?!"

I smile and say "I eat better and exercise."

If they truly are interested in losing weight and bettering their health they will ask me more in depth questions but it is so surprising to see how many people look like a deflated balloon. I agree we as a culture need that instant gratification. This journey has not been that. But for me I didn't want to say anymore, "If I would have started this X number of years ago, where would I be now?" Now I can say, "I started this about two years ago and look at me now!"
  • rubysphoto
    rubysphoto Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Yep everyone is looking for a overnight cure. Didn't they see I did not lose the weight overnight. :-) I tell them first you need to want to make the change.
  • revadiana
    revadiana Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great complements!

I agree that it's the journey that counts, not the goal. Goals can shift and that's okay. My new goals are to be able to do all the crossfit exercises unmodified and not look so ridiculous while attempting all the ring/bar work.

I know if I chip at it every day, all the attempts will translate into a successful pull up... and if I lose weight along the way, that would be nice too!

My gym posted this and I live by it:

CHANGE YOUR LIFE, ONE REP AT A TIME