hardwood flooring verses carpet ??????

does it reallllly matter???? I live in the middle of no where and I am a stay at home wife/mom so exercise for me is usually on my treadmill but I would like to start taking advantage of exercise TV like yoga etc....A few people have mentioned I shouldn't work out on carpet????????????

Replies

• netsirk12
    netsirk12 Posts: 220 Member
    No... but tottally not what I thought this topic was about! lmfao
  • Pizzagirl50
    Pizzagirl50 Posts: 112 Member

LMAO took me a few seconds to clue in ;)

I don't think it matters where you work out. I do on carpet and never had any issues.
  • confuzzledwife
    confuzzledwife Posts: 142 Member
    I actually just got carpeting installed for this very reason..lol... I was working out on a hardwood floor with a really cheaply made area rug, the floor was too hard, doing certain exercises KILLED me, specifically my hands doing downward dog lol... I loooove my carpet it makes things hurt less for me :smile:
  • cjsgrimlin
    cjsgrimlin Posts: 246
    I have both, but the carpet sometimes impedes you, slides and dance moves are easier on the hardwood. I have found that sometimes my shoes get stuck on the carpet and make me fall. If yu want something softer use a yoga mat on the hardwood, it should help!
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 743 Member
    I have tile and carpet...I prefer working out on the carpet..and I do it barefoot...the tile kills my knees and requires mats etc... I see in theory why the person said hardwood but idk if it really matters!!
  • migoi357
    migoi357 Posts: 173 Member
    If you exercise on carpet, beware of the static electricity charge. On a more serious bent...if you can do the moves that the routine requires, I wouldn't think it would matter.
  • b3llzy
    b3llzy Posts: 77 Member
    Damn this dirty mind! hehe :blushing:
  • Dilfster
    Dilfster Posts: 416 Member
    i prefer hardwood for jogging but carpet for sit-ups and stuff like that.
  • 0EmmeNicole0
    0EmmeNicole0 Posts: 180 Member
    With exercise it doesn't matter. As far as home decor goes, hardwoods. hands down. A nice bamboo is always eco friendly :)
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    I am assuming you are talking about yoga and for that I use a very thick carpet that I have in my basement but I always put a yoga mat down as some of the yoga postures are hard to do if you don't have a rubber surface to keep from slipping. It is uncomfortable to do some of the floor postures on a hard floor and the yoga mat helps you to grip either with your hands or your feet.
  • Yacki
    Yacki Posts: 46 Member
    I have hardwood flooring and like it very much. I went to a gym the other day to do ZUMBA with a friend and they had carpet. I wore the wrong shoes - I had on shoes with gripping treads and boy did I hurt my knees. :sad: My shoes kept me from moving correctly and I felt like I was jamming my knees. The instructor was wearing rebock retones - the tonning shoes and she did not seem to have any trouble. I actually own the same shoes and was wishing I had worn mine. If you have carpet barefoot might even be better.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    you should NOT work out on carpet? oh NOW you tell me. I don't think it matters when, where or what time; the thing is JUST DO IT!
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    With exercise it doesn't matter. As far as home decor goes, hardwoods. hands down. A nice bamboo is always eco friendly :)

I guess I am a total geek because my brain didn't go into the gutter with everyone else, I was hoping we'd be talking home decor! :laugh:
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Hardwoods. Maybe a small area rug if too cold - but carpeting will get in your lungs and be bad for you.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member

I guess I am a total geek because my brain didn't go into the gutter with everyone else, I was hoping we'd be talking home decor! :laugh:

I did too! I was ready to give a thumbs up for bamboo flooring in spite of the topic being in the Introduce Yourself thread.

I use a yoga mat on both types of flooring and it works out fine.
  • AmyJo54915
    AmyJo54915 Posts: 103
    I've always worked out on carpet with my yoga mat...the mat is just to give me traction.
  • secretgirl4611
    secretgirl4611 Posts: 474 Member

LMFAO!! HAHA YEA the title seemed.......................lol
  • AngelsKisses75
    AngelsKisses75 Posts: 595 Member
    I find that using hardwood floors allows for a more stable surface to work out on. I find that carpet throws me off balance and can be uncomfortable. For Yoga I use a yoga mat.

Besides it is easier to match the drapes to hardwood than carpet. :bigsmile:
  • I never had any problem while exercising on carpet. I usually workout on a Wool Carpet which I think is 100% natural. I got my carpet from Nourison Hospitality.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member

I have handscrapped bamboo and it's beautiful and super hard...my son can ride his trike through the house without harm.

Definitely second the recommendation of bamboo.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread....