food scale? should i get one

Options
124»

Replies

• Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Love mine. I find it very useful for cereal & chips & other things that don't fit into a measuring cup well vary in size.
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I bought this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002CM8U06/ and it is fantastic.

That's the one I have. It's great!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I wonder what people would think if I pulled out an old school portable scale at restaurants?

One of my MFP friends took her scale to a restaurant so she could make sure she only ate 6 oz of chicken! I have a scale at home and one at work. Never took one to a restaurant, though.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    um...I totally recommend the EAT SMART Food Scale (you can get it on amazon) - it has changed my life for the better. I thought weighing everything would be a pain (and it can be) but I literally weigh EVERYTHING now and its made life easier.
  • carlongo75
    Options
    Hi Alise,

I do not use food scale because I do not have the time and the patience to measure every single meal during the day plus I do not count calories. If I count the calories and under my lmit I tend to eat things I should not be eating and that mess up my progress. What I usually do is measure my meat, fish and poultry portions by the size of my hand's palm, that is usually 100-150 gr of meat and the carbs such as oats, gluten free pasta, brown riceand veggies is one small cup for a day and then I distribute them by my meals (5-6 meals per day) that makes between 15 to 20 grs per meal.
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I just purchased one from Amazon that was recommended on here from some people and has over 3,000 positive reviews. It's only $25 with free shipping and you can toggle the reading from kg to grams to pounds and ounces. It has a tare button so you can zero out the weight of the plate or container. Love it!

EatSmart Precision Pro - Multifunction Digital Kitchen Scale w/ Extra Large LCD and 11 Lb. Capacity

http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Digital-Kitchen-Chrome/dp/B002CM6TVI/ref=lh_ni_t
  • seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I couldn't live without my food scale! I even weigh my cereal in the morning because I find it's so much easier than using a measuring cup. Definitely recommend getting one!

Me too. Plus measuring cups, for liquids, and also measuring spoons.....
  • da_sammit
    da_sammit Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    i have one and use it all the time. i portioned out what i thought was 100gr of pasta and 100gr of steak. turns out it was almost 300gr of steak and 200gr pasta!!!
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    I wonder what people would think if I pulled out an old school portable scale at restaurants?

Lol there's your next forum topic - Truth or Dare - Dare: use food scale in public restaurant, must take picture for proof :)

I'm in, I will have to check my local thrift stores, if I can find one I will so do this.
  • Bufta217
    Bufta217 Posts: 17
    Options
    Being a MFP user from the UK I've always found the 'cups' measurement methodology rather odd; measuring by volume right? As we work in metric over here I weigh everything to the nearest gram, but I’m sure oz works just as well... :smile:
  • ariant23
    ariant23 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    We have 2 of them and weigh everything that we eat. Measuring is not nearly as accurate because everyone sees "1/2 cup" as a different level of full.

Measuring is as accurate. How much is a half cup isn't a matter of opinion. It's four fluid ounces. "Handful" is a subjective, half cup is objective. The problem is people DON'T measure, they guess. About both weight and volume. Come on. Get real.

While guessing rather than measuring is sure to be a problem, volume measurement of non-liquids is not as exact as determining mass.
    Think about it this way, if you measure out 1 cup of flake cereal from the top of the box where most of the flakes are large and intact there will be lots of empty space in your measuring device. by contrast, as you get to the bottom of the box, where most flakes are small and broken, you'll fit a much greater amount of cereal in that same physical space.

But if what you're doing is working for you... don't sweat it. stick with it. if you're having problems, then maybe it's time for a change
  • bvreese
    bvreese Posts: 1
    Options
    They probably would think you were pretty serious about your nutrition.