runners, help please! friend asked question i could not answ

Options
2»

Replies

• godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    I dont understand why your friend has time to do the eliptical but not run.

the question on the elliptical was about being low impact, not time.
  • heathero76
    heathero76 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I agree that a person can run a half by training this way if: They are in good shape, are doing quality cross training alteast 2 other days a week, and have no hopes of having a great finishing time. I'm sure there will be lots of walk breaks and a finishing time of atleast 3hrs. My 2 cents!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    she asked how often i run and i said 3-4 days a week as most of the training schedules i saw say to run a minimum of 3 days a week, but not more than 5. she asked why is that? i don't know.
    Based upon a study cited in Noakes' book "Lore of Running" 3 days is the minimum needed to increase fitness, the marginal fitness gained by increasing that to 4 days is great. The marginal fitness gained by increasing that to five days a week is smaller, but still significant. The marginal fitness gained by increasing to 6 or 7 days a week is small and the probability of injury or overtraining (especially in those that haven't run a long time) is larger.
    then she said that she only had 2 days available for running and asked if i thought 2 days a week was enough for training? one short day (30 minutes), one long day (based on miles). again i don't know.
    2 days a week is not enough. In the long run her fitness will decrease, or at best stay the same, on two days a week training. 3 days a week is the minimum needed to increase fitness.
    then she asked if she could train using the elliptical since it is low impact. again i don't know.
    That won't work. If she is training to run a race then she needs to run. There is more to the conditioning than just the cardiovscular fitness. There is also the act of running and strengthening of the legs.

thanks for the detailed reply.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    2 days a week is insufficient for training for really any type of race in my opinion. you either make time or do something else.
  • otfan
    otfan Posts: 1
    Options
    i am 60 years old and i say suck it and see. I run 2x weekly, bike 2x weekly and swim 2x weekly I also go dancing. I am not into competitions only with myself. I have no injuries and have managed to almost come off my blood pressure medication. it works for me, and i have time for other things.
  • wadedawg
    wadedawg Posts: 315
    Options
    I started running a year ago when I restarted here on MFP. I used the C25K program, and really couldn't possibly recommend it any higher. Great program. You run 3 days a week, never on back to back days. This progresses you through nicely and allows you to rest and heal up. I'd tell your friend to look into it. There are several great apps for it, and if they're more advanced they also have 10k and 1/2 marathon trainers.