Product Labels??

Options
Hello , Im new to this site also, I think it's yhe best thing since ice cream, well let's not go that far but but it is GREAT!! I think it will make my 100+# journey much easyer. To bad it will have to be without ice cream but I can do it. Sometimes all the reading and the fad tv & exersise shows you see can be confuseing, what ones do you believe? I'm going to start my cardio and weight training tomarrow. Ihave allready put the pop, diet and regular to the way side. I replaced them with low cal. sports drinks. That is were my question comes in at. "Powerade Zero" states on the front lable "no sodium" when you look at the Nutrition Facts it has 150mg of sodium per serving. Just one more thing to confuse me on my journey. If any one could clear this up for me I would appreicate very much. Just when I thought I knew how to read these lables...ZING..another curve ball. Thanks LarryLaird

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Depending on where you live.... the laws in many places allow manufacturers to state "0 cals" or "fat free" or "no something or other" when it actually has very low amounts per serve.
    Which is a good reminder to us all to actually read the ingredients list and nutrition panel, not just believe the marketing spiel on the front of the label.

If might be worth doing some research on sports drinks - if you've got something that has very low sodium and very low sugar - then it's not actually going to give much benefit after working out, it's just artificially flavoured water. If you can stomach it, you would be better drinking plain water.
    But, if you're drinking those in an effort to get rid of calorie laden alternatives - go for it, just think about what's in it.

PS. I agree that MFP is a seriously good thing. Not sure that it's better than icecream though :smile:.
  • s1lence
    s1lence Posts: 493
    Options
    Went to the coca-cola site and found a way to get to the ingredients glossary. http://www.beverageinstitute.org/en_US/pages/glossary.html On it gives what a lot of the ingredients are suppose to do and be. If you have this thing in it that could account for the sodium in your drink, even when it says that it has no sodium in it - Acidulants- Acids, which include phosphoric acid and citric acid, and acidic salts help to provide flavoring. They are responsible for the tart taste which helps to balance the sweetness. They also help to reduce the growth of microorganisms (i.e., protect the food from spoiling).
  • LarryLaird
    LarryLaird Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies for the good information. Cute little crum crusher you have there, you will be a good roll model I'm sure.
  • s1lence
    s1lence Posts: 493
    Options
    Thank you very much :)