What tricks have you found to help you live a healthier life

I thought it would be worthwhile to share things that have worked for us to make healthy changes in our lives. Here are some things that I have found help me:

* I make my "healthy" breakfast oatmeal in bulk on Sunday and freeze it in single serving size portions. That way, I just have to grab one and throw it in the microwave in the morning. No excuse not to eat a healthy breakfast!

* My husband and I have very busy lives between our own activities and driving the kids to theirs. We sit down during the weekend and plan out how is going to go to the gym when. I even put my days and times on my calendar. That way I can hold myself accountable.

* We get our organic fruits and vegetables delivered to our house through a co-op once a week. I have found that when I take the time on delivery day to wash, slice and prepare the veggies, they get eaten! Dip them in hummus or Greek yogurt dip and you have a nice, healthy snack! We have no problem getting the fruit eaten. We often run out before the next delivery!

* My husband and I plan our meals for the week on the weekend. We do our shopping and have the food at home so we have no excuse to go out and buy junk food. We aren't always able to cook dinner at home since we sometimes only see each other for 30 minutes in the evening, but when we are home, we have our dinners planned.

These are a few ideas I have come up with. Please share yours! I am always looking for a great way to get and stay healthy. :smile:

Replies

• Honey623
    Honey623 Posts: 37
    I eat lots of bonless skinless chicken breast. When I come back from grocery shopping I put some chicken in the crockpot for about 6 hours and it will b finely shredded. Then I freeze em for quesadillas or tacos or casseroles, whatever id like. :)
  • alesnie
    alesnie Posts: 90 Member
    How do you prepare them in the crock pot?
  • Nickiii_123
    Nickiii_123 Posts: 134 Member
    I carry a Nalgene bottle of water with me where ever I go. I drink way more water now then I used to because its right there! I also try to make an effort to bake and cook at home most of the time. It saves so much money to make your own bread, sauces, etc. and allows me to control what I put in my body. I'm lucky enough to have the time to do so right now, I understand that many people are very busy and this doesn't work for everyone.
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Endeavour to eat fresh veg with every meal :-), kill more time with walking and less with sitting in the coffee shop sipping lattes.
  • Honey623
    Honey623 Posts: 37
    just add little water & put on low. Pretty much "set it & forget it" method...usually done between 4&6 hours...just place in freezer bags and there ready whenever you need em :)
  • Zoeegirl
    Zoeegirl Posts: 100 Member
    bump- I love the ideas, keep em' comin :bigsmile:
  • kokoskarin
    kokoskarin Posts: 8 Member
    Remember that feeling a bit hungry isn't dangerous! You don't have to eat as soon as your stomake feels a bit empty.
  • peacestar84
    peacestar84 Posts: 100
    Having those I spend the most time with, support me and question me if I start to make unhealthy choices. Sometimes I need another voice to over rule my voice saying eat the cake!

I also found that it is important to take the time to plan meals and figure out calories. Grabbing a quick bite always seems to result in impulsive choices that I end up spending two days in the gym working off.
  • Hoakiebs
    Hoakiebs Posts: 430 Member
    Make sure to workout 60-90 min. per day, 6 days a week, even if it is just a long walk. Mostly, it is just long walks.

Buy food to cook meals at home. I usually cook in batches that will feed me 4-6 times during the upcoming week. My Cuisine du jour is Indian food. I love the taste cornucopia.

I do not deprive myself of rewards (pot lucks, Pizza nights, beer) but ration my portions by pre-logging the calories to see what I have banked for that day.
  • Oliviamarie05
    Oliviamarie05 Posts: 528 Member
    Whenever I have a really bad craving for anything really bad for me, I drink water (usually two cups). I find I'm full and I no longer want whatever it was that's making my mouth water.
  • Renonvme
    Renonvme Posts: 58 Member
    What a great idea! We eat a lot of chicken in our house since I don't eat beef or pork! I'm going to have to try this!
    I eat lots of bonless skinless chicken breast. When I come back from grocery shopping I put some chicken in the crockpot for about 6 hours and it will b finely shredded. Then I freeze em for quesadillas or tacos or casseroles, whatever id like. :)