Best laptops?

Options
Emabo
Emabo Posts: 125 Member
My laptop is nearing it's deathbed, even though it is barely a year old :/. Does anybody have favorite laptops under 800$?

Replies

• i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    What brand is your laptop, if you don't mind me asking? HP by chance...? <.<
  • Karrix
    Karrix Posts: 288
    Options
    I have no issues with my Toshiba. :smile:
  • HotBodUnderConstruction
    Options
    I paid $699 for my refurbished Macbook air 11.6 inch ...best laptop I've owned thus far.
  • Emabo
    Options
    It is a Dell Inspiron 1545 and I have been having problems since the beginning. D:
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I had gotten a Dell for college, and pretty much immediately regretted that choice. It got me through my four years, but it was so slow by the end doing anything took forever. I ended up biting the bullet and getting a macbook, like I had originally wanted, and I have to say, it was worth the extra cash. Runs super smooth, I've had no problems with it, and I love that if I do have an issue, I can just take it to the mac store and talk to someone and get it fixed. I think I'll be able to use the computer for years too, so I'm getting more milage out of it for my money in the long run.
  • wjewell
    wjewell Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I've had an HP, ACER, and DELL. They all sucked. I now have a macbook pro and wouldn't change it for the world! I LOVE IT. I know someone selling a brandnew one, never been opened if you're interested. I will email him if you would like. Seriously, if you can some how get you a macbook, you won't regret it! :)))))
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    It is a Dell Inspiron 1545 and I have been having problems since the beginning. D:

I see. I never had a Dell die on me, but my last HP was awful ($2000 and died after 1 year too T_T)...

So maybe avoid Dell and HP to be safe. I also recommend a mac...just make sure it has warranty~ Good luck!
  • klynn81
    klynn81 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I only own Macs :smile:
  • princeza9
    princeza9 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I'm on my 2nd HP and I love it. I bought it back in 2007, and it traveled with me overseas- it's got a ton of frequent flier miles, been through countless X-ray machines, stuffed in overhead bins, plugged into European and Asian outlets... and it's still kicking almost 5 years later. Admittedly, I finally had to have it wiped and reloaded, but it had gotten quite bogged down. I'll spring for a new laptop when this one finally kicks the bucket, but for now- I'm happy with my HP.

Though my techie friend swears by Macs as well.
  • magoch
    magoch Posts: 134
    Options
    I'm a complete geek (been in the PC industry for 20+ years and between my hubby and I we currently have 10 computers, including 5 laptops, at home). I just did a bunch of research to help my mother-in-law buy a laptop over Christmas (she spent $750). What we found -- for a general use laptop, generally Dell and HP offer the best value (aka bang for the buck). They have very similar features -- the biggest differences were the way the screens looked, keyboard layout/feel, speaker sound quality/loudness. What we did was go to 3 different stores with good selections (Best Buy, Staples & Fry's in our area) and had her look at the screens, type on the keyboards, and listen to the speakers to make the final decision.

I fully admit I'm a Windows person, I like the extensive choice of add-ons, peripherals, and variety of business applications. That said, I do have an iPad I love, and think it's a great supplement for a computer. Unless you're willing to go refurbished, Mac laptops tend to not give you as much bang for the buck (let the Apple vs PC religious wars begin).

Other notes -- Toshibas & Acers are decent machines, in my personal experience, they aren't quite as durable as HPs/Dells. Sony's are gorgeous but you pay extra for that design, also -- they tend to be less durable.

IBMs are fantastic, especially if you're using the laptop for work. They are SUPER durable. I just replaced my work laptop (I'm a consultant), and bought an IBM because it offered a better work-focused feature set and there was a GREAT holiday deal (for reference, I wanted a laptop that was fully dual-monitor capable with docking station, supporteed bitlocker data encryption, could take at least 8 GB of RAM, had a 500MB+ HD that was fast, and could do higher end graphics processing). This setup is about double what you'd want to spend though -- only necessary if your work is really computer intensive :)) Consumer-focused IBMs tend to cost a little more than Dells/HPs.
  • heybrit
    heybrit Posts: 140
    Options
    I once had a Compaq (which is owned by HP, I believe) MELT ITSELF. From then on, I've been devoted to Apple and I love my Macbooks. :) My mom has had her Macbook for 6 years and never had a single problem with it. I had my first one for 3 years and it was perfect too but I spilled soda on it and broke it. :( Now I have a Macbook Pro and it's amazing <333

If you can afford it, get a Macbook (try refurbished like somebody else mentioned above if your budget is tight.)

Good luck with whatever you get! :)
  • WinWinGo
    WinWinGo Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    You can get a pretty nice Toshiba in the price range you want, and they're my preferred brand, personally.
  • LyriByri
    LyriByri Posts: 54
    Options
    I have no issues with my Toshiba. :smile:

I have only owned Toshiba's and they work perfectly. No problems what so ever. :D
  • wittlelacey
    wittlelacey Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to see Dells get so much hate! I recently switched from Toshiba to Dell 3 months ago at Christmas time and don't regret the decision one bit! I haven't had any problem with my Dell in the short amount of time, but fell in love with it instantly. I'd definitely recommend the inspiron, although others disagree. Good for you for doing research though :) A lot of time it can be helpful to go in the store and ask the employees (or Geek Squad!) the best laptop for your use. Best of luck!
  • kp1439
    kp1439 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    for 800 u can get a bad *kitten* laptop ... what u looking for in the laptop ... i mean ur main choices
  • Emabo
    Options
    Well as much as I like Macs, I have tons of things that are not compatible with it and I need most. I have had other Dells that worked, just not my current one. I really don' have anything currently on list for definitely wanting in a laptop .
  • sharibob3
    sharibob3 Posts: 180
    Options
    I've had an HP, ACER, and DELL. They all sucked. I now have a macbook pro and wouldn't change it for the world! I LOVE IT. I know someone selling a brandnew one, never been opened if you're interested. I will email him if you would like. Seriously, if you can some how get you a macbook, you won't regret it! :)))))

^^^^^ AGREED!!!! A little more costly but well worth it!!
  • Leaker12
    Leaker12 Posts: 57
    Options
    I've had that same Dell for 5 yrs. now, my daughter and I got ours at the same time...no issues with it, and we are on them everyday. Either in here or on Facebook playing farmville......lol
  • muzmacol
    muzmacol Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    i have a HP Pavillion on offer £249 usually £450, so far so good!