Soupin' Up Canned Soup

maremare312
maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
Tonight I found a can of Progresso Chicken and Dumpling Soup in my cupboard (not that amazing, since a few weeks I ago I purchased and placed said can in my cupboard). I like the idea of canned soup better than the soup itself though, so decided to try to make it a bit tastier. We had a bit of chicken gravy left over from dinner earlier, I put that in (1/4 cup) with the whole can of soup, about 1/2 cup of water, red pepper flakes, and 2 large handfuls of the pre-cut and pre-washed "Southern Greens" blend from Trader Joe's. Simmered until the greens were tender, and holy moly it was delicious! The soup was 100 cals/cup to start with, I ate half the pan which was probably now about 1 1/2 cups because of the extra bulk from greens/water/gravy and MFP tells me it was 133 cals, plus I got some greens in!

Anyone have other ideas to kick up canned soup? I read a blog awhile back where the blogger and her husband were adding cooked chicken to canned soup to up the protein. I think hot sauce or hot pepper flakes are a must (if the flavor is compatible!)

Replies

• kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    sounds great! I love to make soup, but I don't really have any other recommendations than adding low sodium chicken broth or boullion to make it more tasty.

I wish there were more canned soups with low sodium, but they usually don't taste so good
  • When I have canned soup I add canned green beans or carrots- This makes it so easy to take for lunch
  • maremare312
    When I have canned soup I add canned green beans or carrots- This makes it so easy to take for lunch

Yum! Extra veggies is always a good idea I think!
  • maremare312
    sounds great! I love to make soup, but I don't really have any other recommendations than adding low sodium chicken broth or boullion to make it more tasty.

I wish there were more canned soups with low sodium, but they usually don't taste so good

Yeah, why does salt have to be so dang delicious :D
  • I like to put cottage cheese, salsa, and sliced green onions in tomato soup. Do watch out for the sodium though.
  • maremare312
    I like to put cottage cheese, salsa, and sliced green onions in tomato soup. Do watch out for the sodium though.

Interesting! I never would have thought of those, but it sounds really good!
  • SophieB74656
    SophieB74656 Posts: 81 Member
    I eat a lot of canned soup. at least three times a week it's my whole dinner. I usualy add some more veggies to it, a splash of hot sauce depending on the soup
  • maremare312
    I eat a lot of canned soup. at least three times a week it's my whole dinner. I usualy add some more veggies to it, a splash of hot sauce depending on the soup

Can I ask what brand(s) you like the best? I need to stop buying Progresso, I rarely like it no matter what flavor I try!
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member

So make 'em taste good! Add some lemon pepper for a nice kick. Here are some of my favorite additions:

Chicken noodle: add curry powder. YUM.

Anything that's broth based: add lemon pepper

Tomato based: Add smoked paprika and some black pepper. If you're feeling adventurous, add some fresh ginger, too. This has a little kick and is great for those of us who get heartburn from cooked tomatoes.

Cream-based: add pepper. I don't eat much of this, so no other ideas.

I like to add veggie leftovers to some of my soups. If I have just a few spoonfuls of left over corn kernels or something, in it goes.
  • blf20
    blf20 Posts: 97 Member
    This is my favourite for a Friday evening when I have a few extra calories. I believe that the recipe it was originally created in the 1970's by Bonnie Stern, a Canadian writer of cookbooks.

saute 1 chopped onion until soft (a little margarine might assist)
    to that, add a small can (3-4 oz) of crabmeat, drained
    add curry powder to your taste (I started with a tsp and have increased to a Tbsp) and mix well
    Add cream of tomato soup and the usual one can of milk (1 or 2% might taste a bit better than skim milk) and mix
    Heat to just about boiling then serve

My hubby also does this with cream of mushroom soup but I prefer the original tomato

Enjoy!
  • tlp148
    tlp148 Posts: 67 Member
    I make a crock-pot version of 8-Can-Soup. It makes a lot and I have plenty to share or freeze. This recipe can be adjusted to fit any persons preferences, vegetarian or add meat, low sodium or not, low carb or not- it all depends on what cans you put in it.

I start with 2 cans of chili, add 1 can of tomato sauce, 1 can of stewed tomato or chunk tomato
    The next four cans are pretty much whatever you want: mixed veggies liquid and all, or individual cans of your favorite veggies liquid and all. I have also added leftover chopped grilled chicken, beef roast, or pulled pork loin. Sometimes instead of meat I add an extra can of black beans or kidney beans. If you need some extra carbs for a work-out you can throw in a cup of small pasta or diced potato.

It sounds like a lot of work but it is nothing more than throwing in the first 4 cans and adding your favorite 4 cans.
    When I add my totals for Calories I ususally get 150-200 for a 1.5cup serving - depending on what I put in.
  • SophieB74656
    actually my favorite is progresso
  • Seminolegirl97
    Seminolegirl97 Posts: 306 Member

Why have i never thought of hot sauce? THANKS!
    I addd extra veggies all the time to mine.
  • SophieB74656

Can I ask what brand(s) you like the best? I need to stop buying Progresso, I rarely like it no matter what flavor I try!

my favorite is progresso, I've loved every flavor I've tried, sorry LOL
  • SophieB74656

Why have i never thought of hot sauce? THANKS!
    I addd extra veggies all the time to mine.

this is my favorite one, it doesn't have too much heat but great flavor. It's really good with tomato based or veggie soups. Plus that little kick of lime is awesome
    41w9f1YRCYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    I know you specify canned soup, but I like to add vegetables, green onions, low sodium soy sauce and browned ground beef or turkey to Ramen Soup.
  • maremare312
    I know you specify canned soup, but I like to add vegetables, green onions, low sodium soy sauce and browned ground beef or turkey to Ramen Soup.

I don't think I've ever added extras to Ramen soup, great idea! I have made noodle dishes with the noodles before.

That Cholula sounds good! Regular Cholula is my fave hot sauce, I'll have to try that one if I can find it!
  • maremare312
    I make a crock-pot version of 8-Can-Soup. It makes a lot and I have plenty to share or freeze. This recipe can be adjusted to fit any persons preferences, vegetarian or add meat, low sodium or not, low carb or not- it all depends on what cans you put in it.

I start with 2 cans of chili, add 1 can of tomato sauce, 1 can of stewed tomato or chunk tomato
    The next four cans are pretty much whatever you want: mixed veggies liquid and all, or individual cans of your favorite veggies liquid and all. I have also added leftover chopped grilled chicken, beef roast, or pulled pork loin. Sometimes instead of meat I add an extra can of black beans or kidney beans. If you need some extra carbs for a work-out you can throw in a cup of small pasta or diced potato.

It sounds like a lot of work but it is nothing more than throwing in the first 4 cans and adding your favorite 4 cans.
    When I add my totals for Calories I ususally get 150-200 for a 1.5cup serving - depending on what I put in.

Interesting! And sounds like a great way to lighten up chili!