Goatmeal... er, I mean Oatmeal.... Info needed

Options
2»

Replies

• ladyfingers39
    Options
    I think it is so funny that you call it goatmeal. Any time there is oatmeal on our grocery list, my husband sticks a "G" right in front. He's a large child at times.

I prefer steel cut oats, as they have more of an al dente texture and fill me up more. There are some mornings where I oversleep enough that I wake up starving and wish I could just make a packet of instant. Ideally steel cut are supposed to be best for you, but I would say, what ever fits into your time and space is worth while.

A friend of mine prepares her steel cut oats in a pan before heading to bed. So when she wakes up she can just turn them on. She said the soaking overnight speeds up the cooking time. Just an idea. :)
  • puppy1002
    puppy1002 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I can't stand oatmeal either, the consistency, it looks and smells good but I just couldn't do it and I really wanted to like it cause it's good for you. So I found this recipe and they are really really good!!!

Healthy Oatmeal Cookies (with Honey)

Dry ingredients
    1 cup whole wheat flour (a pinch more depending on the moisture of the mix)
    1 1/2 cups of Large Flake Rolled Oats (smaller flake is ok too)
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 Tbsp Cinnamon
    1/2 tsp Nutmeg (optional)

Wet ingredients
    1/2 cup honey
    1/2 cup oil (corn, grapeseed or olive) * you can also use some applesauce to replace some of the oil if you wish*
    1 Tablespoon Molasses (I used sugar free syrup)
    1 egg (beat with 1 Tbsp Water)
    1 tsp Vanilla

Yummy ingredients
    1/2 cup raisins
    1/2 cup walnuts
    or anything else you want to add in

Preparation:
    1. In a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients together.
    2. In a medium bowl, mix all the wet ingredients together. Hint: when measuring out the honey, spray the measuring cup with oil or baking spray--your honey won't stick).
    3. Mix the wet stuff with the dry stuff. Add the raisins and walnuts and mix. If the mixture seems too wet, add a bit of flour. If it isn't binding together very well, you may wish to add an egg white.
    4. COOL the mix for 20 minutes in the fridge.
    5. Preheat the oven to 335 degrees (lower temperature due to the honey in the recipe which will burn more easily).
    6. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto your baking sheet (I recommend lining the baking sheet with parchment paper). Press down with a fork to ensure even cooking.
    7. Bake for about 15 - 20 minutes or until golden on the bottom of the cookie. The cookies freeze very well and make a great snack! Enjoy.

Do you have a calorie count on those? They sound amazing!

I've put this recipe in MFP I did it as a double batch for 24 cookies I didn't do any add in's or the nutmeg

Per cookie:
    Calories - 167
    Carbs- 27
    Fat - 6
    Protein - 3
    Sugar- 13
    Sodium 162