Has anyone lost weight doing Pilates and/or yoga?

Options
Just wondering if anyone has lost a good amount of weight doing Pilates or Yoga? I know it's really good for toning.. but am not sure about overall weight loss?
I am a Zumba fanatic and usually do lots of cardio... however I am prone to stress fractures in my feet and pretty sure I have another one at the moment. So I am looking for something to kind of take it easy yet will keep my weight loss going over the next few weeks while my foot is healing.
If anyone can give me some recommendations of good Pilates or Yoga Dvds they have tried or what results you have got I would really appreciate it :)

Replies

• bellaburch85
    Options
    Bump - Will be intrested to know if anyone has - I start Yoga tonight!
    Ive had a bad back for the last coupel of weeks and the doctors said i should ease myself back into the gym by doing Yoga!
  • Airbear3
    Airbear3 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    i do jillian michaels yoga meltdown! i love the zumba as well and to spice it up i jog 2 mile every other day instead of zumba! i'm not sure if it was just the yoga alone as i am doing the cardio on top of it but strength training is nessessary for weight loss and has tightened me up so.....i can definetly say it hasn't hurt me! legs,arms and back and belly have all benefitted from yoga! good luck:0)
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is more about what you eat than the exercise you do.

That said, whilst i was trying to lose weight last year, I was doing Ashtanga 4 - 6 times a week (30 - 60 min sessions) and maybe going to the gym once a week for 20 - 25 mins of cardio + some weights. I at least maintained muscle whilst doing this, and probably added some too.

So it can be done, but you do need to put conscious effort into it and not just go through the motions which is an all too easy thing to do with yoga and or pilates. Go to a class at least once a week if you can.

ETA: Ashtanga is quite an active form of yoga with lots of movement - this may have been a factor for me. It also is heavier on upper body work than some other forms, which may also have helped.
  • xASHYxSMASHYx
    xASHYxSMASHYx Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    i do jillian michaels yoga meltdown! i love the zumba as well and to spice it up i jog 2 mile every other day instead of zumba! i'm not sure if it was just the yoga alone as i am doing the cardio on top of it but strength training is nessessary for weight loss and has tightened me up so.....i can definetly say it hasn't hurt me! legs,arms and back and belly have all benefitted from yoga! good luck:0)

Thanks for the info and the tip... I might have to look into that Jillian Michaels dvd :)
  • xASHYxSMASHYx
    Options
    Weight loss is more about what you eat than the exercise you do.

That said, whilst i was trying to lose weight last year, I was doing Ashtanga 4 - 6 times a week (30 - 60 min sessions) and maybe going to the gym once a week for 20 - 25 mins of cardio + some weights. I at least maintained muscle whilst doing this, and probably added some too.

So it can be done, but you do need to put conscious effort into it and not just go through the motions which is an all too easy thing to do with yoga and or pilates. Go to a class at least once a week if you can.

ETA: Ashtanga is quite an active form of yoga with lots of movement - this may have been a factor for me. It also is heavier on upper body work than some other forms, which may also have helped.

I am on an eating plan for weight loss.... but due to a metabolic disorder it is crucial that I exercise, because otherwise I never lose weight. But thanks for the info... I have tried Ashtanga a couple times before and enjoyed it. I might try to get back into that.
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I do neither but the principle is the harder your body works the more calories it burns and if you burn more calories than you eat will mean you lose weight.

Yoga/pilates will be more about flexibility, strength and control than a good old workout. So it will help with lots of things but wont lead to significant weight loss.
  • southernyogini
    southernyogini Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Yes you can. I believe you can loose weight with the right kind of yoga. When I practiced Ashtanga yoga 3 days a week I saw a drop in my weight but how I felt was even better. Once I began practicing 6 days a week I saw a huge different and was in the best shape of my life. I had fallen off of ashtanga yoga for some time. I was in a teacher training and working too much. I am re-dedicating myself to a daily ashtanga practice along with watching my food choices. I think the combo is a good one. But that is just my personal experience.

My teacher has now lost all her baby weight within four months with ashtanga, walking a few days a week and her vegetarian diet.
    So it is possible. Good luck!
  • birdieintx
    birdieintx Posts: 298
    Options
    I've lost fifteen pounds before doing pilates and walking. About an hour of pilates 4-5 times a week and walking 5-6 times a week for 30+ minutes.
  • xASHYxSMASHYx
    Options
    Thanks Ladies, that is great news! I am going to be doing an hour at a time and I will try to get in some walking as well :)
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I love pilates. I feel so energized and most of my pain issues that I had were a thing of the past since starting.