Frozen Healthy Dinners? Are they really healthy?

Options
I am curious to what you guys and girls think about meals like healthy choice and smart ones, if you think they are really as healthy as they claim to be. I know it's hard for me to always cook since I work 2 jobs and it's easy to pop one of these in the microwave, but I have read that they are not that good for you, then I read that they are. What do you think?

Replies

• wyze
    wyze Posts: 248
    Options
    I cannot speak to how healthy they are, but i know that they are always loaded with sodium. I also find that i am still hungry after eating them. I guess a once in a while kind of deal wont hurt. One of the ways to deal with cooking is to maybe cook for the week on Sundays and then pack your own food. I cant remember the last time i ate a frozen dinner
  • Katie1951
    Katie1951 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Sodium is the kicker! I use to eat the WW Santa Fe and loved it, but if you care about the sodium they are definitely a no no. If it's calories in, calories out you can make them work for a convenient meal.
  • Isolt
    Isolt Posts: 70
    Options
    The trouble is that most of these so-called 'healthy' ready meals work on the premise that low-fat = healthy. However, in cooking terms, if you take the fat away you have a bit of a taste issue to address....and they tend to do that by whacking up the sodium or sugar content to create what they call 'mouth feel'. These 'healthy' labels are just one more marketing gimmick.

If you have trouble finding time cooking during your work week, I'd suggest investing in a freezer and batch cooking from scratch on weekends. If you cook up soups, stews, curries, pasta dishes (whatever it is you're eating on your diet) and freeze into portions then you have something you can pop out, defrost and reheat without all the added nasties. I can pretty much guarantee it'll also be cheaper and tastier too.
  • jfl613
    jfl613 Posts: 71
    Options
    I agree 100% with wyze. I used to eat those all the time but I too found that I was still hungry. Also, my last couple of doctor appointments showed an elevated blood pressure reading. This worried me. I look forward to going back to the doctor to see if cutting out the frozen meals and cooking my own has made a difference in my BP. Sunday is my day to cook &/or prep my meals for the week. It helps a lot in saving time during a busy work week. Try looking for some 30 minute meal cookbooks. The Jenny Craig 30 minute meals helps me on a weekly basis. My husband also enjoys these meals and has lost weight by default! Best wishes and stay healthy!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    They're certainly not as healthy as making your own!

Ok for emergencies, but I wouldn't rely on them daily.
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    In my opinion they are good in a pinch but are way too high in.... yeah, sodium!

Is there an echo in here? haha

Yes, they are easy to make and it is easy enough to find flavors/recipes that you like. You can certainly lose weight by having frozen meals as part of your plan but there are also healthier, less processed, less sodium packed ways to do it. Try and find a balance between your frozen meals and your fresh/non-processed/natural foods and you'll be better off.
  • Dethea
    Dethea Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    My dad eats these a lot, (he's doing WW) and he eat's one of these with a bunch of extra veggies. The main thing with frozen meals is sodium, but as long as you are careful about the sodium in other foods you should be okay. Just drink lots of water to help combat any bloating!
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Tesco in the UK have some great ones... no reason why they shouldn't be OK.. also sodium is only a real issue if you're not working out and have high blood pressure. Personally, I need the extra salt or I get super light headed! :)

I lost a lot of weight making them my meals plus they're portion controlled in most cases, and because they're quick and can be frozen, no excuses for not going to the gym or staying a bit longer! Cooking a frozen meal isn't hard!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Same thing. Low calories, insanity high sodium. During the week, if it keeps my from a trip to a fast food place, then was it worth it?

Which is the lessor or two evils?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Virtually nothing is healthy or unhealthy in and of itself. It depends on how it fits into your overall diet. If it fits in your cals/macros, then it's fine. If it doesn't, then it's not fine.
  • kimharrod
    kimharrod Posts: 27
    Options
    Dedicate one day such as sunday or one of your days off, by making different chopped up salads in the fridge. Cook all your chicken for the week, store it in the fridge. Get the tuna out and ready, store it in the fridge. Etc etc. That way you've always got something to quickly get, dump in the frying pan or oven without any preparation. :)
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Anyone on my friend's list knows how I feel about 'diet' food. :laugh:

The frozen meals have too low protein, too high carb and way too high sodium. I don't need four servings of pasta, a measly 4 ounces of chicken and some twenty-odd peas.

One would be better served to take a day, cook some chicken, pasta and tons of veggies and parcel it out through the week. Hate leftovers or eating the same thing all the time? (like me!) Then precook the individual ingredients and mix and match them throughout the week.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    My complaint about them isn't the sodium. There's some where the sodium content is pretty low... just check the labels before you buy 'em. It's the lack of protein. Some only have about 9g per meal. I've compared labels and Hot Pockets are more nutritious.

That, and they're tiny. I can make a similar dinner with the same calorie count with a LOT more food and nutrition.

Very convenient, though. I like to have some in the freezer for lazy days.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I like the fact that they are 1/4-1/8 the price of Nutrisystem and Jenny Craig if you are in a time crunch. Sure they are high in sodium, Lean Cuisine is 650mg each but that means even eating 2 a day you are still well under your 2500 max even at ideally <2000.
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Most of them are high in sodium - high sodium can lead to retention of water which equals to weight # going up on the scale. I would suggest what most have already suggested - precook your meals - brown rice stays nice and fresh for about 7 days, chicken... etc...
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    *bump*
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    IMO they can be healthy options for people on the go or who don't have time or don't like to cook. The worst thing about them is sodium!! The portion sizes are good and some are quite tasty. I think they are best for occasional use as nothing honestly beats a home cooked meal.
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I don't generally do frozen meals, the "healthy" ones don't generally fit my calorie needs. My fiancee eats them occasionally, and she almost invariably get's an Amy's meal. Good food that actually tastes real. They are all vegetarian, but you won't miss the meat if you are eating them only occasionally. As a general rule though, both of us are staying away from processed food. Making it yourself gives you better flavor and way better control over ingredients.
  • lindalou4850
    lindalou4850 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    they are ok in a pinch, I add a salad or extra veggies
  • jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    In my own humble opinion you are best to stay away from processed food healthy or not. No one will every be able to sustain eating such small portions for the rest of your life. You can't just eat 1200 calories a day until you lose the weight you have to make a lifestyle change that you can live with forever.