Help!! Type of Running Shoe!

Options
Apparently I have a high foot arch and my feet underpronate/supinate quite drastically.
They recommend a curved lasted running shoe with good cushioning, can anyone recommend any?

At the moment I'm just walking but hope to start running pretty soon. I usually go over the Trans Pennine Trail (so, off-road)

If it makes a difference, I'm in the UK and take a UK size 6 (maybe 6.5) and I have quite wide feet due to what I presume are bunions (I know, I'm only 23 and don't even wear heels!)

Replies

• need2beskinni
    Options
    I have a high arch as well, i find it hard to get a comfortable shoe ( when im on an elliptical machine my toes go numb if i have terrible shoes on!) I recently bought a pair of Reebok Zigs. AWESOME.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Here's a little article on the asics web site regarding pronation:

http://www.asics.co.uk/running/knowledge/understanding-pronation/

Interestingly recent research has shown that there has been very little change in the rate of injuries sustained by runners despite all of the "advances" in running shoe design. Here's an article form the University of Calgary - the suggestion is that the most important determinant in picking a shoe should be fit and comfort........http://www.ucalgary.ca/news/utoday/january27-2011/shoefits

I run pretty much only on the road (I'd love to do more trail running) but I know a number of people running trails in regular running shoes, in a motion control shoe you may want to look at the Asics Gel Kayano, Mizuno Women's Inspire or the Saucony Omni. All three companies are reputable shoe makers.
  • LisamarieBond14
    LisamarieBond14 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for that! You really took the time to research it and I'm grateful :)
  • sidra1446
    sidra1446 Posts: 32
    Options
    I've always dealt with high arches. And before packing on all the weight I have now, was an active athlete, and active duty in the Army.

From my experience you just have to find "the pair" and you'll know it when you put them on. I'm not currently running as I've just started to workout, but I did a lot of research on current model shoes for people with high arches.

I do plan to start the C25k in a week or so as I get my cardio up, but I feel confident that the shoes I have currently are going to be good without needing to get a custom fit orthotic that I used to wear in my shoes.

I'm using the Nike Vomero 5. I set out to try on the current model in stores the Vomero 6 (or 7 should be out now) they run $130. Before going into the sports store though, there was a Ross next door and I found a 2010 Vomero 5 for $45. I tried on about 15 different pairs of shoes that day, but I knew when i put on these Vomero's that there wasn't going to be a better fit for my foot.

It can be hard to find the right one for you, but I've heard and experienced over and over again, when you slip your foot into the right shoe you're going to know it. Go to a running store and speak to them about shoes made for higher arches, try them all on. When you find the right one, buy them and buy multiple because they will be discontinued and changed for new models.

Good luck, it can be hard, but your legs and feet will love you when you get the right shoe or shoe and insert combo.
  • rockyluv88
    Options
    I LOVE my Merrill barefoot shoes. They look like regular shoes but have a wide toe bed ( lots of room to wiggle your toes)! They don't have much cushening ( hence the barefoot) and take time for some to get used to but they helped me with shin splints and are supposed to make you run/walk in proper form since you can feel the ground beneath you.
    Highly recommended! Plus they come in fun colors
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the arches and what-not... but I have all kinds of foot problems (not bunions though!) and need a really wide fitting shoe.

Last year I bought Nike Vomeros which are really wide fitting and have little "expansion points" on the side - apparently made especially for bunions! They were the most comfy shoes and in fact, I'm still wearing them on and off, alternating with my new Brooks - OK, but no where as comfy as my Nikes.

Really though, you just need to try a bunch of shoes until you find the ones that are right for you feet.
    Good luck.
  • hyperkate
    hyperkate Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I bought saucony. I had trouble with shin splints on the inside of my shins from my feet rolling in when running. I tried loads of shoes but the best were the moderate supports saucony for me. GO to a runners shop and get your gait tested and then just try loads and keep testing them on the treadmill in the shop. When you can see from the vids that you are running how you should be then you will know they are the right ones for you. Good luck and happy shopping x
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    great article, I'm looking for new running shoes too. I just tried on the Nike Airmax 2, loved them but the price tag was entirely too steep at $179
  • billythefishuk
    Options
    If you have a running shop near you, I'd head down and try as many pairs on as you can. Do you have a sweatshop near you? They should do a free gait analysis for you. If not, the local running shop should be able to sort you out. Also, buy a size up for your trainers as your feet will need the extra room.
  • cartea01
    cartea01 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I love Mizuno runners for my high arches.
  • LisamarieBond14
    LisamarieBond14 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!! I think I'll definitely go get my gait tested. There's a Sweatshop nearby and last time I went in they suggested it but I was (still am?) slightly self-conscious of how I run!

I really need to get some new ones quickly because the outer edges of my feet are so painful, it's almost as if I'm walking on the little tiny bones there!