Which HRM should I get??

Options
I'm looking on Amazon for a Heart rate Monitor, but I don't know which one to get, there are so many. I don't want to pay too much, can anyone suggest which are good and which to avoid? Thanks x

Replies

• 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I have the PolarFT4, It was I think about $80 on sale at the time. Amazon might have it cheaper of course, maybe even Ebay.

I really like it. Very easy to use and a chest strap is a must. I've heard very good things about Polar which is what lead me to buy that brand. Very happy with it. MFP grossly over estimates calories burned and I find most machines (treadmills, elliptical, etc) are a bit off as well.

Edit, my Polar FT4 comes with the chest strap (the little monitor thing you plus in the front) and a wrist watch. The watch does nothing to measure your heart rate it just acts as a display piece so you can see your calories burned, see how fast your heart is beating, see how long you've been working out, etc.

Some stores sell a watch that claims to measure your heart rate from your pulse on your wrist. *I* think the wrist watch kinds are junk. You have to have a chest strap!
  • stlbluesangel
    stlbluesangel Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Just got my Polar FT4 and love it.
    Got it from heartratemonitorsusa.com for under $70 with free shipping.
  • terrellc1
    terrellc1 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for asking this question. I am going to get one for my sister for her birthday (and one for myself), and we don't need anything super fancy.

I have seen some that are like a wristwatch, yet people always talk about a chest strap. And I think I have seen some people running with them on their upper arm. I am completely clueless.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I bought a cheap; Kellie Holmes one at Tescos for GBP25. or so. It seems to do the trick. it has a chest strap which monitors your heart rate and then the wristwatch which is quite a funky pink and white one. The Polar ones are meant to be great but they are expensive.
  • HappilyLifts
    HappilyLifts Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I'd like to get one too but don't know which one to go for.

I bought a wristwatch one from AmazonUK last year but it underestimates my heart rate by a huge amount. When I was gasping for breath and could feel my pulse pounding in my head it was telling me my heart rate was 85bpm! Ive woken up with that heart rate in the past so there's no way it's accurate.

So I'll be keeping an eye open for replies too.
  • EssexShell
    EssexShell Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, they are helping x
  • georgia98_98
    georgia98_98 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Just got my Polar FT4 and love it.
    Got it from heartratemonitorsusa.com for under $70 with free shipping.

I agree.. same place, but I got the FT-7 for $76.00 & free shipping.. FAST shipping... :wink:
  • Tulipgirl1223
    Tulipgirl1223 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it's a HRM per say, but I love my Fitbit, it links right to MFP, tracks steps, calories burned, sleeping habits.
  • foolinme
    foolinme Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I also have the Polar HRM with the chest strap and it is the best investment I have ever made. It might have been a little more expensive but I figured that my health was worth the investment! You also need to remember that as you lose weight, you go in and adjust your settings so that the readings are accurate. :)
  • ckenning
    ckenning Posts: 71
    Options
    bump
  • tzaccario
    tzaccario Posts: 53
    Options
    Timex makes a nice set of HRM's for men and women (Road Trainer Heart Rate Monitor Watch series). I have had mine now for just over a month and use it every time I go to the gym or just for a walk. They do what's needed, are rugged and priced right!
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    As far as I can tell the chest straps are interchangeable with the different receiver watches and with a lot of gym equipment. So pick a watch with features that you want, and don't worry too much about the chest strap. The only thing I would look for on the chest strap is battery changes. On some Polar straps you have to send them into the manufacturer to be changed.
  • sixisCHANGEDjk
    Options
    I bought the Garmin FR60 primarily because it came with the foot pod (on ebay) and I like to run. If you don't run, that's an unnecessary item. I bought mine on Ebay as a refurbished item with the Garmin 1-Year warranty. I figured if it was warrantied as a new one it should be ok. FR60 with HRM and foot pod was $85. Separately would have been quite a bit more. Garmin also has Garmin Connect which allows me to upload my workouts to the site (wirelessly at the PC) and then view them. So far, this hasn't cost anything.

The Timex brand, from what I understand, require a fee to use thier online workout tracking (whatever you want to call it). I'm not sure about Polar but I understand the batteries have to be replaced by an authorized Polar rep to avoid voiding the warranty. But I don't know how long the warrant is anyway.

I hope you find one you like as they are helpful.
  • georgia98_98
    Options
    The Polar Ft-4 & FT-7 have a chest strip that u place on u... after 30 min. of having my on I 4-get about it. The wrist band has MANY holes in the band for small or large bones.. VERY simple to use, but if u need help Polar.com has great little videos to help.... .. but very true readings... cheap $$ & great... I don't run so I didn't need the GPS.. If u r a runner Polar makes the GPS ones as well> Hope that helps...
  • FitN50s
    FitN50s Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I don't recommend the wrist watch type. The one I had is such a pain, you have to push buttons on it in order for it to read your heart rate, which is kind of hard to do when you are in the middle of a workout or walking on a treadmill. The chest strap ones are supposed to be the best.
    I use a BodyMedia armband. It doesn't give you a heart rate readout, but it monitors your activity level, calorie burn, steps taken and sleep cycles all day and night. I don't have to worry about exactly how many calories I burned doing any one activity because I can see how many calories I am burning all day, no matter what I'm doing. It is a little pricey (at least to me), but it has already been worth it for the amount of information I'm getting.
  • georgia98_98
    Options
    :smile: The Polar FT-7, u can change both battries on your own.. :laugh:
  • mcjimy
    mcjimy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Do not buy the Sportline brand found at Sports Authority. I purchased a mid range version and it failed within 3 months. They would not replace it as I had not purchased an extended warranty. The Sportsline poeple do not return my calls or emails. Buy a Polar brand HRM and buy it from someone who will back it up, just in case.
  • georgia98_98
    Options
    Not sure if it's a HRM per say, but I love my Fitbit, it links right to MFP, tracks steps, calories burned, sleeping habits.

The only thing with the FitBit, if u do spinning or bootcamp work outs, they don't work as well as the HRM! But they r great for getting u off ur buns, lol:laugh:
  • Tulipgirl1223
    Tulipgirl1223 Posts: 91 Member
    Options

The only thing with the FitBit, if u do spinning or bootcamp work outs, they don't work as well as the HRM! But they r great for getting u off ur buns, lol:laugh:

True, but for the price I got it at (Target had them mismarked for $50 a few weeks ago) I can't complain LOL
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I got the Ft4 and I love it!! Remember to adjust settings as u lose weight.