Stress eating!!!

I need help with this. I have 3 young children and boy can they push my buttons. When then really get to me I lose it and eat junk. I know I will be mad about it later but for some reason the immediate response I have to the sugar and junk is a feel better thing. The worst part is it happens the most at the grocery store.

I have done so good avoided the pastries and junk that I used to love and today they pushed me over the edge. I grabbed the ready to eat 2 slices of carrot cake from the fridge next to the cash register. I said I was just going to have one piece. By the time we got home I was so stressed out I sat down and ate both pieces before putting away my groceries. Even though I knew I would regret it.

I have to stop doing this. I could be so much farther along in my get healthy journey if I found another way to deal with the stress. Ideally I would love to throw on the gym shoes and get in a workout, but with the 3 kids in high stress situations that would just make it worse.

Replies

• wedjul05
    wedjul05 Posts: 472
    I stress eat too. Have 2 kids, they are 2 and 3.

This is what got me into the mess in the 1st place. I'd have a bad day with the kids and I'd reach for the crap. I still do this at the weekends. I think I deserve it.

I don't know how else to treat myself to be honest. I can't get away time-wise for a walk etc at the weekends, feel guilty leaving my husband with the kids. Monetary treat is all well and good but I don't have a huge amount of disposable income to do this all the time!

When you have a bad day with the kids, junk food is what comforts you. I get it. I wish I knew how to break the cycle. Me returning to work really helped. I eat soooooo well during the week, exercise 3-5 times a week after the kids go to bed/early morning. THe weekends is where my food goes downhill.

I feel your pain!
  • BrawlerBella
    BrawlerBella Posts: 400 Member
    Morning Dolls! I thought I was the only one that went off the wagon. The weekends are killers for me as well. I spend M-F making up for it.
  • st3ph07
    st3ph07 Posts: 3 Member
    Always have gum on hand. The new dessert ones help me out a lot, i have 3 kids too 3 and under so i know what you mean. Or just go to a seperate room close the door and just rest your mind and nerves, that will help you refocus. Good luck!:smile:
  • Diandra81
    Diandra81 Posts: 128 Member
    I was/am an emotional eater as well! I say just have "Healthy Junk" on hand! Stock up on grapes, strawberries, snack bars (Kashi has some greats ones!), and when you have that urge...reach for that instead!

It takes some time, but you'll be able to break out of that cycle.
  • chaniray
    chaniray Posts: 83 Member
    i stress eat as well. i'm working on this. i don't keep bad snacks in the house. if i'm out and stressed and think i want something unhealthy i flip it over and look at the grams of sugar and put it back. if i can i will find a healthy alternative. for me that's a starbucks skinny vanlla latte. it's sweet and lattes calm me.

as far as the kids and needing exercise, you can get creative. find the closest field to your house, put on some sneakers, get the kids and a ball and just run around and play with the kids. great exercise. i knooooooow you don't want to but you'll more than likely feel better afterwards.
  • Dethea
    Dethea Posts: 247 Member
    I'm a bit stress eater too! And a single mother of a 3 year old.

Here are a few things I've found that help me out:

I tell my son I need alone time, or "Mommy needs a time out." Sometimes I just go hide in my closet for a bit and sit.

I paint my nails. I've started to get more creative as I go... taking more time.

I make a little snack, such as some tea with honey (sweet, but still healthy), or some brown-bag popcorn.

I make a mug cake. You can google recipes (some are better than others!) But then it's all about portion control, and since you make them yourself you can control everything that goes in!

If you want you can add me :)
  • ChefSuzzieQ
    ChefSuzzieQ Posts: 119
    thank you all. This helps. I feel better now. Still not happy about what I did, but I got in a great workout this evening and I feel better.