Need advice!

Options
I was working out last night on my elliptical and was pushing for 30 min but at 25 min I got the WORSE charley horse EVER!! It took awhile before I could even move. Did this happen b/c I didn't stretch? I mean I figured if I started off slow....like a warm up on the machine that it would be okay? Was I wrong?

203175.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary

Replies

• Laura021967
    Laura021967 Posts: 42
    Options
    I was working out last night on my elliptical and was pushing for 30 min but at 25 min I got the WORSE charley horse EVER!! It took awhile before I could even move. Did this happen b/c I didn't stretch? I mean I figured if I started off slow....like a warm up on the machine that it would be okay? Was I wrong?

203175.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • soxygirl
    soxygirl Posts: 173
    Options
    It could be from not stretching, but charley horse's are more typically the result of dehydration or low levels of potassium. Make sure you drink plenty of water before and during intense cardio, and maybe try having a potassium-rich snack before your workout.
  • Hermit4Hire
    Hermit4Hire Posts: 197
    Options
    You should never stretch cold muscles... Make sure you are drinking enough water before, during and after cardio. Good luck
  • Bunnies_Revenge
    Options
    Its because you didn't stretch. Best cure for a charley horse once you've got them is to stretch them out so that the muscles will relax.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I agree with the potassium suggestion. I eat a banana every day. I took two weeks off from eating them while on vacation and after a few days I started getting cramps in my feet.

Back on my banana routine and the cramps are gone.
  • tkrull
    tkrull Posts: 15
    Options
    You need to drink more water. Stretching cold muscles is not a good idea most times it can cause more harm than good. If you need to stretch before you work out warm up for 10min then do a light stretch then go directly into your work out
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I too have heard that the latest thought from the exercise guru's is to only stretch after working out (if even then). That people who stretch first actually have less strength and endurance during exercise than those that don't. This is a major shift in philosophy which explains the mixed results on the board.

For me, charley horses are always a sign of dehydration. Increase water intake. Bananas are a good source of potassium and potassium helps with cramping muscles.
  • hickchick
    hickchick Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi. I agree with wildcatfan..not to stretch cold muscles. Before having a few medical probs. and putting on this weight, I used to run 3 miles each morning--DONT stretch first unless you have warmed up thouroughly. It's a good idea to stretch after a workout though. Slowly stretch by slightly increasing pressure, never bounce..doing so can cause you to tear a muscle.
    Good luck!