Q for those that workout in the morning....

Options
If you get up and workout, do you eat breakfast before the workout, when you return from the workout, an hour after returning from the workout?

This weekend, I woke up and left the house within 30 minutes to go do my workout. Because I didn't eat before I left, I was so hungry when I got home but didn't want to eat right away because I thought you should wait to eat following a workout. I don't want to get ill feeling if I eat before workout and I don't want to drown my efforts by eating too soon after my workout. Ugh....this should be so easy!

Just lay it out plain and simple for me. Eat, wait ___ minutes then workout? OR Don't eat, workout, wait ___ minutes then eat? Also does this apply to anytime we workout?

Replies

• seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    Lolololl... thanks for making me laugh! What a complicated situation, hee. :-)

I always eat before I exercise... AND I eat immediately after I exercise. The only exception to this is if I am getting up to run at like 6am or something. I'm not getting up even earlier just to eat. But, MOST days, I eat before.

I'm not sure who told you not to eat after your workout, but that's dead wrong. Protein is awesome for your body immediately after working out. I know a lot of people that take protein bars to the gym with them and are literally munching on them as they are leaving the building. This is especially important if you do any weight work.

Other than that, EAT when you are hungry.... general rule of thumb. Your body is telling you it needs fuel. Don't deny it.
  • rebecca_d35
    rebecca_d35 Posts: 131
    Options
    I don't eat before my morning runs, though I usually have a cup of coffee. Then I don't usually have much of an appetite for about an hour afterward, either.

So my mornings look like this: wake up at 6, drive to work, run from 7-7:45 (on a trail outside my work), shower, get to desk by 8:15, eat yogurt and an apple at 9. I'm sure this isn't the only way to do it, but it works for me.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I eat before and after. I eat oatmeal drop kids off at school, run or hit the gym and come home and eat again.
  • ML0305
    ML0305 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I dont eat before my work out since I get up at 4am (too early for me to eat, plus I get nauseous if I do) but after my workout aprox. 30 to 45 minutes I have my protein shake then around 7am my coffee and breakfast between 8:30a to 9:00a! This works out for me! Everyone is different ...I hope you find something that works for you! Best of luck to ya!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    It's not complicated. When deciding wether and how much to eat, you should consider: (1) what makes me perform best, and (2) am I hungry?

Other than what's stated above, all the "meal timing around workout" advice provides no additional benefit to the average person.
  • July121980
    July121980 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    This is a great post. I was just wondering this myself. I don't know if I am doing this right but this is what I am doing. I drink water before I exercise in the morning. I drop my daughter off at school and immediately go run/walking for about 30-45 minutes. Then by the time I get home I am hungary but it has been about 30 minutes. I have been trying to eat more protein especially after working out so this morning after working out I had an egg and 2 pieces of turkey bacon. It came out to 17 grams of protein. I am not used to eating in the morning so that has been a new concept to me.

I found that the two times I ate, even small before working out I felt sick to my stomach. I stick to water now, so I am not dehydrated and then I eat first thing when I get home.

I hope this helps!!
  • gstanley4
    gstanley4 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I don't eat before I workout. I usually drink a cup a coffee and go. Then, I have a protein shake when I get home.
  • ConnieB1979
    ConnieB1979 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    If you get up and workout, do you eat breakfast before the workout, when you return from the workout, an hour after returning from the workout?

This weekend, I woke up and left the house within 30 minutes to go do my workout. Because I didn't eat before I left, I was so hungry when I got home but didn't want to eat right away because I thought you should wait to eat following a workout. I don't want to get ill feeling if I eat before workout and I don't want to drown my efforts by eating too soon after my workout. Ugh....this should be so easy!

Just lay it out plain and simple for me. Eat, wait ___ minutes then workout? OR Don't eat, workout, wait ___ minutes then eat? Also does this apply to anytime we workout?

Here is what works for me, I drink water before and during my morning work out....Shower and then eat breakfast before I leave the house. SO its usually around thirty minutes after my morning work out.
  • Becky_Boodle
    Becky_Boodle Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I wake up
    have a yogurt with salba (just cause I'm starving when I first wake up)
    hit the gym about an hour later
    then home to have a protien smoothie (frozen berries, protein powder, water blended)
    shower and get dressed
    then make a high (vegetable) carb meal

the protein right after a workout helps your muscles repair the damages you did while working out
    and the carbs shortly after help the protein do its job
  • RNmomto4
    RNmomto4 Posts: 143
    Options
    I dont eat before I run in the AM. I never have. I try to eat right after. I hear within 30 minutes helps you recover faster. But sometimes when I get done, the kids are up and we are rushing to get everyone dressed and out the door. Then I will eat as soon as they head out.
  • QueChulaYo
    Options
    i have to eat before a workout....i would fall on my face if i didn't... Fruit/coffee usually..... and usually a brunch is after my workout!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5:15, drink some water and start my workout. I usually have a glass of chocolate milk when I'm done, take my kid to school, & eat breakfast when I get back.
  • DellG85
    DellG85 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You must must must eat both pre and post workout! You eat pre to fuel your body for the work you need it to do during your workout and post to replenish your body of what it's lost during the workout. I find that if I have, say some yoghurt and berries pre-workout and a banana post-workout, Im great. I also find the post-workout banana does wonders for my aching muscles and it seems to ease them.

ALSO, just as a footnote, eating straight after a workout is best, preferably within an hour of finishing your workout as at this point, your body is still burning calories :)
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I don't eat before working out in the mornings. I don't want to get a cramp (like I tend to do). But I will have at least a banana or some chocolate milk right after working out. I'll eat my main breakfast after I get to work (which isn't until about 2 hours later).
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I can't eat and then workout. I drink coffee from 445 - 7, when I get to work and can slow down long enought to eat.
  • katsmo
    katsmo Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I eat something little before a morning workout. I don't think it's good for my system to go without food/drink from dinner time the night before until after my workout. What I usually do is drink something little, like a Danactive yogurt drink, or half a cup of soy milk or eat a piece of string cheese, just so my body realizes it's time to get moving. Then, I drink water while I'm exercising. I'll have coffee a little after my work out, while I'm getting ready for work. Then I eat breakfast at my desk, about an hour later. I find that on days where I exercise in the early morning, I am just ravenous most of the day. It's okay to eat a little something before you exercise.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    You should have enough nutrients in your body from the day before so you don't have to eat before your workout. You can eat right after if you want. There is no reason to wait.

I workout in the morning. I usually mix a protein shake in a half cup of milk and use it as coffee creamer. Then I drink the coffee on the drive to the gym.
  • CNG223
    CNG223 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Lolololl... thanks for making me laugh! What a complicated situation, hee. :-)

I always eat before I exercise... AND I eat immediately after I exercise. The only exception to this is if I am getting up to run at like 6am or something. I'm not getting up even earlier just to eat. But, MOST days, I eat before.

This is what I do. I wake up at 5, drink a cup of coffee and have a bagel thin or some toast..30-45 mins later I go for my run. When I return I cook up a couple of eggs and have a banana and start on my water for the day. I personally need the fuel before because I wake up very hunrgy, and I can't stand to be running with my stomache growling...I can run a lot farther and faster with the extra fuel I feel. Everyone is different though. I recommend trying to eat before/before and after and see how you feel.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    I'm glad a few people mentioned bananas. I was just talking to my trainer this morning about how sore my legs are after a long run. He recommended eating a banana the night before, for breakfast before my run, and after I am done. Gooo bananas! :)
  • kvreeken
    kvreeken Posts: 137 Member
    Options

I only workout in the am I NEVER eat before working out and I eat something with 15 minutes of walking in the door. Something with protein.